Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay Info
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 10:39 PM
Gonzaga Bay Info

I haven't been to Gonzaga Bay in over 10 years. Looking for information on the road from San Felipe south to Gonzaga. Also is Alfonsina's still a good place to stay? How do I make a reservation with them?

Thanks
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 10:49 PM

Was just through there the last two weekends. The place is awesome. We did not get to stay there as it was full so definitely recommend a reservation. I have their email in the car and will post later. Ate lunch there and the food was great and service really good.

The road was in great shape all the way from the border. From San Felipe to Puerticitios there are some areas of Vados (dips) that you need to watch out for but generlly in good shape and south of puertocitios to Gonzaga might be the best stretch of road in Baja right now. It is wide smooth, fairly straight, and outstanding views.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 10:57 PM

Awesome thanks. Please post the email address when you can. I like the adventure of the old dirt road, but it did take forever to get there.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 05:05 AM

Email is alfonsinas@hotmail.com we have reservations for the next 5 days. If anyone is passing by stop and drink a beer with us.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 05:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
Was just through there the last two weekends. The place is awesome. We did not get to stay there as it was full so definitely recommend a reservation. I have their email in the car and will post later. Ate lunch there and the food was great and service really good.

The road was in great shape all the way from the border. From San Felipe to Puerticitios there are some areas of Vados (dips) that you need to watch out for but generlly in good shape and south of puertocitios to Gonzaga might be the best stretch of road in Baja right now. It is wide smooth, fairly straight, and outstanding views.

How was the wind. Was the water warm.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-11-2015 at 05:55 AM
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 06:34 AM

Never could get a response via email or phone from Alfonsinas. We camped at R Grande beach in the upgraded Palapas. Drive time is 1.5 hours from S felipe now with new road. Two weeks ago was windy 4 days out of 6 and very cold at night. Water this time of the year is always cold.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 08:37 AM

The road from Mexicalli to San Felipe has been greatly improved. From San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay....it's nothing like it was ten years ago...smooth and paved.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 11:00 AM

Alfonsina's doesn't allow dogs. Where is the best place to camp on the beach?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 11:21 AM
Anybody ever stay here?

Does anyone know if dogs are OK there? Any feedback on the place?

Oops forgot the website

http://www.kiki.com.mx/

[Edited on 5-12-2015 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Big Al  
Alfonsina's doesn't allow dogs. Where is the best place to camp on the beach?

There is beach camping at Papa Fernandez' (over on the Cortez side of the point). Then palapa camping at Rancho Grande (next door to Alfonsina's property, south of runway). Then palapa camping at Campo Beluga, a mile+ south of Rancho Grande. Here are my photos at Beluga: http://vivabaja.com/207/page3.html

[Edited on 5-12-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 05:55 AM

Rancho Grande has upgraded most of the palapas. Partially enclosed with cement floors.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 09:45 PM

can you reserve the campsites at Rancho Grande? If so, how?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 11:03 PM

RESERVATIONS?

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING RESERVATIONS !!!!

They've upgraded all their palapas, and now charge about double for each. You get what you pay for. Unless it's a holiday weekend you shouldn't have to worry about reserving anything, and if it is full, there are other beach camps close by. I'd also recommend a few tarps (8x12' or bigger) in case the wind blows. When I was there a year ago they'd disc/leveled the area behind the beach camp to where the new road is now, so it was all blow-sand, and when the wind blew it did too.

Have fun, bring money. The price of North Shore just went up with the asphalt. Little San Diego is migrating southward.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.