BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8
Author: Subject: San Quintin quieting down?
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 05:14 PM

Ignorance is not wanting to know the truth.

Do any of you live here?

Do You only know what is printed?

The truth is not always in the print

Why have the BerryMex employees of the mainland not joined into this fight of wages.

I will; be on the side of the ones who provide 1000's of jobs.
Go ahead and boycott the berries and next year many of these people will be without jobs.

You can not put people to work if you have to cut production
because of losses.

BUY DRISCOLL'S AND SAVE JOBS

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by irenemm  
Well Driscoll's /BerryMex are at it again. Doing the evil they do in the community.
they had the nerve to use tractors to level property owned by the
New Beginnings Women's Outreach Association so they can begin new construction for a larger home to take in more women and children. This is the second time in a short few months they had the nerve to do these evil things by helping out the community. How darn them. Those damn slave drivers.
They should have never donated the firetruck to the community so they could put out the fires being set by the poor innocent farm workers. How darn they continue to do these things.

I don't think any one would argue about the donations they have made to the community at large and to different individual causes. They have done many good things in that way.

However, that really is a very different than the worker's issues. The two are just not related.

And you certainly have the right to be on the side of growers and accept their position as valid. That is your choice. You probably don't want to offend them, but that is just speculation on my part.

BTW-- while ignorant does not mean stupid, it is a bit offensive to many. Again, just your opinion and your right to your opinion.

[Edited on 5-22-2015 by DianaT]

irenemm
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 05:47 PM

they pay better than most of the ranchers here. It is a shame the true is not being heard.l
I am sure if they did not pay the employees they would not have a line of people everyday lined up applying for jobs.

I would think that the employees of Jocotepec would be on strike too and it would me on the news and in the papers. Why would they pay better in one state and be such Slave workers in another,
the truth will come out

BUY DRISCOLL'S KEEP PEOPLE WORKING

stop and visit us

see us on facebook
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 06:17 AM

This morning from Talk Baja:
Los Pinos - another side to the story...
While farm workers here do earn less than 200 pesos per day on average, they do receive free housing which includes all their electrical and water and Los Pinos even provides a free tank of propane gas to newly arriving workers. Los Pinos provides free schooling to their kids and daycare that includes up to 3 meals per day. They provide free onsite health and emergency medical care as well as provide sports and recreational facilities for their employees use. What is all that worth on top of their salaries? And what will happen to their quality of life if Los Pinos simply gives in to their salary demands and ends up taking away their free housing, power, water, schooling, daycare, medical and other services in exchange? Suddenly not so black and white, is it?

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 06:28 AM

Aside from the Off Topic comic BS overflow that got in here....

This country for years supported big AG companies. We had cheap produce. Why import it when it's cheap here back in the days.....

Thanks to a guy named Cesar Chavez.......the farm worker finally got better wages. That battle still goes on this day...but the situation for these folks in the fields (and the processing field factories) is much better 35 years after Cesar Chavez first shut down Safeway.

Support big corporation just leaves the field slave intact with no options for a better life. Supporting the farm worker will certainly NOT break the big companies......all of them survived Cesar Chavez!

A little bright insight for your are interested:
http://grist.org/industrial-agriculture/2011-04-01-bon-appet...

Why support the field slave?

Typical farmworker housing in California from 1960

gerawan_housing_bunks_425_ufw.jpg - 57kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 08:43 AM

Great post Mike, and thanks for exposing the truth and pubic relations hype on that other Facebook Baja site.

Big deal proving free pubic education for the children at the Los Pinos, when Education is free by law in Mexico, up to a certain age.

I just wonder if Los Pinos, works around the children's work schedule, because in many of those Mexican farms, that children as young as 7 years old, are out there working long hours in the fields.

I saw some other things I would question over there on Facebook, for example, one well known member there posted something about the farm workers are free to buy groceries outside the companies stores if they want.

If true, I don't know how far the farm workers have to travel to buy those groceries and supplies, but the question I have, is why do the farms in company stores charge such exorbitant high prices in the first place?

According to the "LA Times" investigate series, the prices are so high in the company stores, that often the farm workers owe more money than they make at the end of the season!

I can't remember the exact prices in peso for something like a roll of toilet paper, but it was some outrageous price, something like the equivalent of us in America, or a big city in Mexico, paying $5 dollars for just one roll of toilet paper! ( perhaps I'll go look it up to get an accurate price, but it was pretty high, especially since the worker could only buy one roll instead of a four pack)

[Edited on 5-22-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 10:21 AM

Here is a good article that explains what's going on. You would think the farm workers had their own unions, but they don't. The unions, actually work across many industries in Mexico, and for the benefit for the employers, not the workers!

The only reason why the strike was semi-successful in the first place, is because AONEMJS or Alliance, a group indigenous organizers, put on the protests on behalf of the farm workers. One of the conditions the farm worker are pushing for, is they want a union that just works for their causes, not for other industries too, and certainly not for the big growers.

San Quintín Valley has grown because companies like Driscoll's doesn't like what's going in California with the high pay and benefits the Mexican farm workers make in the California farms, thanks to people like Cesar Chavez. So companies like Driscoll's simply contract with companies like Berrymex who employ thousands of Mexicans to pick their fruit at slave wages, and it only brings more money to Driscoll's bottom line. ( I'm just using Driscoll as an example, as other growers are also doing this)

The national and local Politicians share in the ownership of some of these farms, or they are investors, which pretty much insures, the foot remains on the backs of the field farm workers, in case they get out of line, and demand more money. Big AG, the unions, and politicians all get together in collusion to make sure wages stay low in Mexico. Oh lets not forget Driscoll's and Walmart, that greatly benefit when wages are kept low.

I seriously doubt any business owner in the San Quintín Valley, would speak out against big AG in the the area, and in fact, they might even push the company line, about what wonderful companies they are.

IMPORTANT STRIKE IN MEXICO; FARM WORKERS PARALYZE BAJA FARMS

highlights:

The farm workers reportedly succeeded within three days in negotiating with employers and the government an agreement of the existing unions, the Confederation of Mexican Workers (CTM) and the Regional Confederation of Workers of Mexico (CROM), both corrupt organizations affiliated with the ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) that had colluded with employers to keep wages low. The agreement reached on March 20 will give the workers the right to create their own union and negotiate directly with the owners. If this agreement holds, it represents a tremendous achievement for these workers and establishes a precedent for other workers throughout Mexico who would like to get rid of their corrupt government- or employer- controlled unions. The strike and negotiations over wages and other issues continue.
____

While there is peace in the valley at the moment, the Mexican government has for decades deployed the army and police against miners, electrical workers, telephone workers, and any others, and it is altogether possible that they will send in large forces to break this strike. The ability of these workers to hold their ground will depend upon solidarity from other workers in northern Mexico particularly in Baja California and Sonora.
---------

Indigenous Organizers

The strike was organized by the Alliance of National, State, and Municipal Organizations for Social Justice (AONEMJS or Alliance) made up of indigenous groups from Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, and other areas whose members work in the San Quintín Valley. The Alliance combined a call for a general strike in the valley’s fields with the blocking of the Trans-Peninsular Highway that leads north to San Diego, California. Creating roadblocks and burning tires along a stretch of some 120 kilometers of the highway, they succeeded for 26 hours in stopping the delivery of the ripe produce to markets in the United States, with immediate repercussions for grocery stores and restaurants. Costco, for example, reported that its shipments were down. Strikes also seized government buildings and a police station.

The Mexican government sent hundreds of federal police and soldiers to open the highway, which they did using tear gas and rubber bullets as well as clubs and curses. Strikers responded by throwing stones at the police. Reportedly 200 were arrested. Baja California Governor Francisco Vega de Lamadrid traveled to San Quintín to begin negotiations with the employers and with the Alliance.
_________

San Quintín – The Cornucopia

The San Quintín Valley has over the past couple of decades been transformed into one of the most productive agricultural regions of Mexico where large scale irrigation systems, modern buildings, and large scale truck transportation have been combined by employers with low wage indigenous workers to produce an abundance of fruit and vegetable for American consumers—hundreds of thousands of tons of berries, tomatoes, and vegetables each year—and to make fortunes for the transnational and Mexican companies that own and manage the farms.

Many Baja California and Mexican government officials are actually owners or investors in the twelve largest farms as well as in some of the smaller one. Former Mexican President Felipe Calderón, for example, is an investor in one of the companies. The near fusion between corporate executives and the Baja California government has made it difficult for workers to achieve even the minimal wages, benefits and conditions to which they are entitled under the law. Last December The Los Angeles Times published a series of articles and produced video revealing workers’ onerous conditions in San Quintin in December. As a result of those articles, Wal-Mart and the Mexican government announced joint program to improve farm workers lives, but apparently the workers thought they should take matters into their own hands.

Under employer contracts with the CTM and the CROM first negotiated in 1994, most workers are paid only 100 pesos or US$6.64 dollars per day. Wage rates have not improved for years. One of the causes of the strike appears to have been the falling value of the peso vis-à-vis the dollar, while at the same time many basic necessities are rising in price. The negotiators are discussing other demand such as Sundays and holidays either off, overtime pay, seniority, and other benefits. The Alliance demands include:

1. Revocation of the agreement signed by the Confederation of Mexican Workers (CTM) and the Regional Confederation of Mexican Workers (CROM) with the Agricultural Association of Baja California, especially regarding “agreed upon wages.”

2. Respect for seniority.

3. Affiliation with the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS) from the first day of work at a company and medical coverage for both the worker and his or her dependents.

4. Payment to workers of all benefits due under the law.

5. After eight hours of work, double pay for each addtional hour and tripe pay after more than 10 hours.

6. Maternity leave for six weeks during pregnancy and for another six weeks after birth for pregnant workers.

7. Five days of paid paternity leave for men.

8. Measure against sexual assault by “foremen” or “engineers.”

9. Measures against reprisals toward workers involved in protest.

10. Payment of all benefits of the law to workers (one day of rest per week, holidays, and other benefits).

11. Establishment of a state minimum wage for agricultural workers of 300 pesos per day.

12. An increase of pay to 30 pesos for each box of strawberries (since 2001 workers are being paid 10 or 12 pesos per box). Double pay on Sundays and holidays.

13. An increase to 17 pesos for bushels of blackberries, double on Sunday.

14. An increase to 8 pesos for a bucket of tomatoes.

read the whole article here:

http://newpol.org/content/important-strike-mexico-farm-worke...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 10:40 AM

$5 for one roll of wipe 'em? c'mon....

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 10:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Maybe it was two ply?

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 02:16 PM

No...We're all enjoying this. Please continue.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Maybe it was two ply?

Again Bajaboy, another trolling one-liner, against me, that's three in this thread, and you dared to try to call me out, over what I was saying in this thread.

Next time don't forget the smiley, because that's your MO, one line trolling posts, followed by a smiley.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mcfez  

This country for years supported big AG companies. We had cheap produce. Why import it when it's cheap here back in the days.....

Thanks to a guy named Cesar Chavez.......the farm worker finally got better wages. That battle still goes on this day...but the situation for these folks in the fields (and the processing field factories) is much better 35 years after Cesar Chavez first shut down Safeway.

Support big corporation just leaves the field slave intact with no options for a better life. Supporting the farm worker will certainly NOT break the big companies......all of them survived Cesar Chavez!

A little bright insight for your are interested:
http://grist.org/industrial-agriculture/2011-04-01-bon-appet...

Why support the field slave?

Typical farmworker housing in California from 1960

I agree with you Deno, and it's a shame we import all the fruits and vegetables, when we have farms right here in California. It might be a little bit more expensive, but nothing beats going to a local farmer, and buying fresh produce. This is what many upscale restaurants are doing in California, where they buy the freshest local ingredients. I shop this way whenever possible, but sadly, because where I live, I do most of my shopping at local big supermarkets, where organic products aren't always available.

Deno, I have already read some of the complaints against you up in the Sacramento area, and I really couldn't figure out what they were complaining about, and they didn't accused you of doing anything illegal, but rather they seemed resentful, the new kid on the block, you, were thinking of ways to make it better for everyone.

I agree with you, about the logo, and the name, of " Rio Linda Farmers Market & Peddler's Fair," yeah, the second part of the name, "Peddler's fair" has to go! What were they thinking when they came up with that name? And then you tell them, that second part of the name has to go, and they get resentful. Yeah, I guess there are politics and ruffled feathers everywhere.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Maybe it was two ply?

Again Bajaboy, another trolling one-liner, against me, that's three in this thread, and you dared to try to call me out, over what I was saying in this thread.

Next time don't forget the smiley, because that's your MO, one line trolling posts, followed by a smiley.

:P

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
5-22-2015 at 08:13 PM
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Maybe it was two ply?

:P

:lol::lol:
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 10:23 PM

Great article titled," San Quintin, the valley of the labor exploitation."

In at least 20 agricultural fields in San Quentin, laborers are exploited facing no opposition from the local, state and federal authorities.

The first part of the article talks about a young girl working the fields with a heavy backpack, and pesticides with no warnings of the danger of the pesticides( poisons) nor was she provided with any with protection with the pesticides she was using in the fields.

The girls days would start at 6 am, and sometimes would last to 1 am in the morning, and that poison pesticides smell was always with her even at home.

The second half of the article is about "Los Pinos" that most of laborers say is the worse in the area in terms of abuse and exploitation of the farm workers.

The article goes on to talk about the history of "Los Pinos" and one of the owners Antonio Rodriguez, who was a secretary to local agricultural development in the previous administration, despite the many ranch violations through the years, and how Rodriguez has been linked to both the PRI and PAN political parties in Mexico.

Of course in other places like social media, I'm hearing what a wonderful company "Los Pinos," is, and how great they treat the farm workers, and their families.

En al menos 20 campos agrícolas de San Quintín, los jornaleros son explotados ante la pasividad de la autoridad local, estatal y federal

read the rest here:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/2014/san-quintin-el-va...

[Edited on 5-24-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
irenemm
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 08:12 AM

I want to apologize for the rude way I have acted on this forum. I am very ashamed of myself.
I told my 9 year grand daughter the other day about the golden rule how I learned it when I was in school. I explained it to her and I would be very ashamed if she could read what I have posted and how I have acted..
I would never tell someone that they are ignorant and I would not speak to anyone the way I have spoken here. It is very easy to hide behind a computer and say what I have said. It is not the way my parents raised me or I have raised my children.
I am not against the farm worker as everyone should receive the benefits that the government said you are to provide for them. I just felt that this was a one sided story and I wanted to tell the other side. I did not do a very good job of it.
Again I want to express my apologies for being rude.
I did not come on here for about 2 years as I did not like how many of the threads would end with rudeness and then I myself did the same thing.
I have enjoyed being on all the trips with all of you and the pictures you share.
Please stay safe and be careful but have fun
Good bye and good luck on all of your journeys .
Irene

stop and visit us

see us on facebook
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 08:33 AM

Thank you Irene, if only we all could be as mature as you, all the time, it would be great.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 08:43 AM

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 09:28 AM

It's great Irenemm is making an apology, and I don't want to appear ungrateful or as somebody that can't accept an apology, because I think her ignorant statement was pretty much directed at me, because she made that statement after my post. BTW I have been called an lot worse than ignorant, and if that statement was directed towards me, I didn't mind at all.

But I'm sorry to say, I'm not convinced Irenemm's apology is heartfelt, and just feel it possibly might be part of her agenda or public relation statement, because a few of us have figured out who she is, and what she has been doing in her free time. Even Greengoes, has caught on, with that YouTube video, that's actually a hint of one of her other identities.

What I have found out is that Irenemm, as her alter ego Rita, and been going to many newspaper sites, blogs, and social media sites( Facebook), and pushing the Big AG growers public relations message, about how well they treat the indigenous Mexican farm laborers, and she has been quite insulting towards some of the farm workers, or their supporters.

Ireremm, aka Rita, has really blasted Woooosh, the ex-BN member, over at some obscure tiny, anti-Baja Facebook site!

Ireremm, had me rolling in laughter, over that insult, and the only reason why I was laughing so hard, is as everyone knows, Woooosh isn't one of favorite persons in the world. However the insult was totally uncalled for, and I wonder why Ireremm/Rita was so worked up over Wooosh's comments.

Ireremm, says," I just felt that this was a one sided story and I wanted to tell the other side. I did not do a very good job of it."

I find that statement a little odd, because the big AG farms have deep pockets, and clearly they are paying thousands of dollars to Public Relation firms to put out a positive spin about how wonderful they are. Why does Ireremm feel she has to go EVERYWHERE and push a positive spin on behalf of the growers, while pretty much bashing the farm workers, and their supporters?

Here is one comment made by Rita made on the blog "Mexico News Daily:"
----------------------

that is not the pay they are getting . I live right in front of that ranch. they set the fence on fire and we were very concerned our dry field would catch on fire. it was very windy that day too. they get most of them 180. to 200 pesos a day plus 20 pesos a box for strawberries. the news is not telling the truth on the wages. I am not a farmer but have lived in the community for 34 years. the cops were pleted with rock and hit do you just let them go. NO hell NO
this is a community of little thugs who think and do get away with many things. I have had my house pleted by the same thugs they just want to see if they can hit it from where they stand.
do you have a housekeepr, gardener or a laundry lady? have you got them on Seguro Social? do you give them all the benefits the government say they should have? vacation, chiristmas bonus, paid holidays. houseing benefits? time and half, sunday bonus. paid day off all that and more it required to have someone work for you.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/farmworkers-police-face-off-...

[Edited on 5-24-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 10:12 AM

JJJ Go back to off topic and stop making everything personal

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.