BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bay Scallops - Conception Bay - Soon to be Extinct?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 02:51 PM
Bay Scallops - Conception Bay - Soon to be Extinct?

1987 COYOTE BAY - A BAY FULL OF SCALLOPS

Who doesn't love these delicious shellfish!? For many years up until the date of the following is how we got our bay scallops. An easy workout for those willingly to make the effort. One conservative meal at a time...by snorkling or diving for each taste....and not daily, but just every now and then. We never suspected there soon would be no more in the Bay, let alone in our little lagoon. All I can say is, I'm thankful for the memory of what was once the most prolific marine environment in the world...Bahia de Concepcion.

One fine day..on this day of May 18th ..... 1987.

Our gear sitting atop the sea wall after a good morning spent gathering scallops in the Bay just in front of mi casa.

Co-pilot and amigo, Jorge examine our bounty.

Jorge shows one of the bay scallops. He made a believer out of me one day like this. He said "No kidding...They just jump into your bag!" Well, they really did. You dove down to them, laid the open dive bag in front of them, then gently poked them, and...presto...they 'jumped' the few inches and right into your bag! What a hoot that was!

A 'HATCHET' scallop. Named so because they looked like the head of a hatchett sticking up from the sea bottom. You grabbed it and wiggled like crazy to lift it free. Had a peice of delicious scallop meat about the size of a large marshmellow. The hacha is lots of work, but worth it! Co-pilot is carefull of it's sharp shell edges.

Teamwork...cleaning scallops for dinner later on the patio. Easy to do with a good knife.

Of course, some were for eating immediately...raw...just a little lime juice for these 'poppers'

Then just use the knife edge to loosen the meat from the shell..

Ready for one, Pompano?

Gracias!

Bon Appetite!

And...you certainly didn't need to use SCUBA gear. Most times you just went snorkling and could fill a bag quite easily.

Yours truly in about 10 feet of clear water over a sand bottom..almost too easy.

This is a young visitor from London on her first attempt...she 'This is so easy and so much fun!'... and she was hooked on Baja.

A fresh sweet and salty treat! We were all spoiled with Natures' bounty....for a while, anyway. Who knew we only had a season or two left to enjoy those scallops?

Some history. (Why is it that mankind makes the same mistakes over and over?)

In the 1950s the Ensenada de La Paz was the main scallop fishery site for the country, but the density by 1978 declined to almost zero; a decline mainly attributed to overfishing and environmental factors. Well, the idea of learning from history seems to have escaped these greedy folks, because the fishery migrated to Concepcion Bay, Ojo de Liebre Lagoon, San Ignacio Lagoon and Magdalena Bay where the population depletion continued. According to records, the fishery reached its peak in 1989 at 35,000 tons which were mainly obtained from the Bays of Magdalena and Concepcion Bay.

SCALLOP CAMPS AND PANGAS IN THE BAY OF CONCEPTION 1989

There were over 6000 people working and living in these scallop camps within the bay. Mostly these were people from the mainland. Over 1500 pangas with hookah divers working the Bay every day. Each boat could haul out about 1/2 ton of scallops on each trip. The bay would not recover from this assault.

The scallops were shucked and the empty shells littered the shorelines near the camps. The putrid smells from these camps let you know when you were downwind from them.

Long after the hordes had left, their piles of empty scallop shells told the story.

Please forgive a little preaching, but I think there's an obvious lesson to be learned here. Can we learn and not let history repeat itself elsewhere? Yes, sure we can. One can get involved and create some hope. Who knows, someday we may get to snorkle out there again for a great dinner. You can do the diving and I'll bring the limes. ;D

[Edited on 5-19-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 04:04 PM

today i see a lot of callo de hacha on the pacific side lagoons, but no free-swimming scallops.
but perhaps the callo de hacha were never as depleted as the swimming guys, eh?
i have seen the hooka divers scallop fishing in the pacific lagoons in past year, i never did find out if they were going for callo de hacha or the swimmers.
Pablito1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 07:54 AM

Thanks for the post. It reminds me of what happened in Peru during the early 1980s. They started diving for scallops or "conchitas"as the Peruvians call them with improvised hookah or what ever and the production was very high for a while. You can see the thousands of piles of shells along the highway in the desert to the south of Pisco and Paracas.
I had a guy working for me that knew what was going on and he said that they were using old compressors with a garden hose attached and just sticking the other end in their mouths and somehow breathing without a regulator. I remember reading in the newspaper that 3 people died in one day.
It's basically the same story all over the world, look what happened in the Monterey Bay or killing most of the buffalo.

Regards, Pablo
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pablito1  
Thanks for the post. It reminds me of what happened in Peru during the early 1980s. They started diving for scallops or "conchitas"as the Peruvians call them with improvised hookah or what ever and the production was very high for a while. You can see the thousands of piles of shells along the highway in the desert to the south of Pisco and Paracas.
I had a guy working for me that knew what was going on and he said that they were using old compressors with a garden hose attached and just sticking the other end in their mouths and somehow breathing without a regulator. I remember reading in the newspaper that 3 people died in one day.
It's basically the same story all over the world, look what happened in the Monterey Bay or killing most of the buffalo.

Regards, Pablo

Yes, same thing here in the Bay, Pablo. I've seen the old compressors the hookah divers used in the scallop harvesting days. Suicidal..is what any experienced diver would say.

Some obvious dangers: Lack of any requirement for training and certification, using regular 'shop' air compressors, air embolism or decompression sickness, carbon monoxide and oil contamination into the breathing tube, breathing gas under pressure, no balanced regulator if any at all...and the list goes on.

I don't know how many injuries or deaths occurred from this careless hookah operation in the Bay, but the warnings were there. You couldn't have paid me enough to use one of those rigs.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

sad.gif posted on 5-19-2015 at 10:16 AM
Extinct Scallops

My memory of Scallops Harkens back over 50 years. The things a Army Mess Cook could do to a Scallop shouldn't be mentioned even in this group. For my benefit it is just as well they are EXTINCT. :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
My memory of Scallops Harkens back over 50 years. The things a Army Mess Cook could do to a Scallop shouldn't be mentioned even in this group. For my benefit it is just as well they are EXTINCT. :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

J.P. - Then, is it safe to say that you are not a fan of SOS either? ;)

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 11:09 AM

Damn good post Pompano . Damn good.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 11:41 AM

Most of them now come from Mag Bay.
10 to 15 years ago we got them directly from the harvesters for 4 bucks for 5 kilos.
Now they go for 10 bucks a kilo here at the Sunday market. Well worth it. Love them !!

My latest way ot preparing them: Squeeze them dry in a towel, Marinate with onion and garlic powder, Than sautee in a very hot skillet in mixture of bacon grease and butter.

[Edited on 5-19-2015 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 11:54 AM

scallops in the bay are not extinct...

they are not like they were but
I see divers getting them every "flat water" day

i'm pretty sure april is the "legal" month to "harvest" them

I really don't like scallops...too bad

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 12:43 PM

They're like mini manolions. I love them in spaghetti.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
2002maniac

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 01:10 PM

I harvested a handful of hachas for dinner a couple years ago just off the (undisclosed) concepcion beach. They have a really tough grip on the rocks! Very tasty cooked in the fire with a little butter and lime. YUM!
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  

J.P. - Then, is it safe to say that you are not a fan of SOS either? ;)

Now S.O S. my mom could whip up some of the best. I wasn't introduced to sea food until I was grown I grew up in west TEXAS. EAT MORE BEEF.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 01:57 PM

There's a huge difference between acha, ancha, and catalina scallops; it was the free-swimmers (catalinas) that were obliterated are the small pink shelled ones that litter the shores of the bay. Acha are the purple-lipped heavy shelled scallops, grow to at least 6 to 8 inches in diameter and anchor to rocks; look just like the rocks too, unless you know what you're looking for. The ancha are the penn-scallops, with the foot-long shells that anchor deep in gravelly/rocky beds.

My last full-winter stay (6 months worth) on La Bahia was about 4 years ago, and a young Mexican couple that lived right above me on the hill were Pescadores; he'd dive just off our beach in about 20' of water, had the proper permit, and harvested an amazing amount of acha scallops. There were callo (scallop) harvesters all over the Bay that year; at least two other boats worked the same area as mi vecino, Ezekiel. However, they went 'overboard' (pun intended) on the take; the next year (and I believe 2 years) there was a moratorium on the Bay, and no scallops to be had anywhere unless they were brought in from somewhere else. For years I could stop by Bertha's tienda across from Coyote entrance and order talones from her, and she'd radio her own personal Pescadores for them (if not too windy). After the too-heavy harvest even she couldn't score any.

Both acha and ancha give the large 'puro' muscle that's about 2" in diameter or so; acha are a little less tough and more flavorful. Both also offer the 'talon' muscle, my favorite of all, and little known in the gringo community. Catalinas, the small little button-sized scallops are still available, just not from Bahia Concepcion. For the last 3 years i'd buy my talon de callos from a tienda in Santa Rosalia, same with catalinas.

[Edited on 5-19-2015 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 02:07 PM

Thanks for all the interest and input on the plight of the bay scallops of Conception Bay. Maybe if we can just give them a chance they will return in their previous abundance. It would be good for all the marine life that once lived there.

The rock scallops were always my favorite...both to eat and to dive after. Loved to see those 'eyes' underwater. I would give a lot to see them as plentiful again.

carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
There's a huge difference between acha, ancha, and catalina scallops; it was the free-swimmers (catalinas) that were obliterated are the small pink shelled ones that litter the shores of the bay. Acha are the purple-lipped heavy shelled scallops, grow to at least 6 to 8 inches in diameter and anchor to rocks; look just like the rocks too, unless you know what you're looking for. The ancha are the penn-scallops, with the foot-long shells that anchor deep in gravelly/rocky beds.

My last full-winter stay (6 months worth) on La Bahia was about 4 years ago, and a young Mexican couple that lived right above me on the hill were Pescadores; he'd dive just off our beach in about 20' of water, had the proper permit, and harvested an amazing amount of acha scallops. There were callo (scallop) harvesters all over the Bay that year; at least two other boats worked the same area as mi vecino, Ezekiel. However, they went 'overboard' (pun intended) on the take; the next year (and I believe 2 years) there was a moratorium on the Bay, and no scallops to be had anywhere unless they were brought in from somewhere else. For years I could stop by Bertha's tienda across from Coyote entrance and order talones from her, and she'd radio her own personal Pescadores for them (if not too windy). After the too-heavy harvest even she couldn't score any.

Both acha and ancha give the large 'puro' muscle that's about 2" in diameter or so; acha are a little less tough and more flavorful. Both also offer the 'talon' muscle, my favorite of all, and little known in the gringo community. Catalinas, the small little button-sized scallops are still available, just not from Bahia Concepcion. For the last 3 years i'd buy my talon de callos from a tienda in Santa Rosalia, same with catalinas.

[Edited on 5-19-2015 by bajabuddha]

Here's some "CALLOS" harvested by some locals in Punta Chivato:
(CORRECTION: It should say "Pinna Rugosa" not "Atrina oldroydii")

BN_P1010125.jpg - 234kB

"CALLO DE HACHA" before cleaning:

BN_P1010133.jpg - 221kB

"CALLO DE HACHA" after cleaning:

BN_P1010134.jpg - 214kB

This one here I recall being called "CALLO DE BURRA" by my friends in PC

BN_P1010130.jpg - 230kB

And it wasn't as tasty as the "CALLO DE HACHA"

BN_P1010129.jpg - 227kB

They're called "CALLOS" because of the "callus" that holds both shells (halves) together.

Here's a link to some research done by the University of Sonora:

http://www.scielo.org.mx/scielo.php?pid=S0188-88972012000200...

We even had great sashimi from this little one:

BN_P1010135.jpg - 248kB

[Edited on 5-19-2015 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
BajaBean
Junior Nomad

Mood: Garboso

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 05:06 PM

About 20 years ago I was staying with a friend at his place on the far shore of BOLA. Went diving for "baseball clams" thats what he called them. Not sure of the real name. They were cemented to the rocks. No way to pry them loose they were actually part of the rock bed. Took a hammer down and broke them open. Fried up in mojo de ajo. Tasty.

The opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 06:18 PM

Tasty is right!

That great looking variety of scallops makes one hungry for a feast. Here's one from our corner of Baja..

Boleo Bakery at Sta. Rosalia for making some garlic bread, rock and hacha scallops from San Marcos waters, jumbo shrimp from the Pacific, and strawberries from Viscaino. Should make quite a good time at the dinner table.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 06:52 PM

wow...roger you've lived the BEST life...I picked the WRONG career

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 07:29 PM

The folks I've dealt with call them Catrinas. Probably just a local name but since I've been here I've not heard them called catalinas:?:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
wow...roger you've lived the BEST life...I picked the WRONG career

Blanca I 2nd that pomp is a wealth of baja info forsure thanks Pompano

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.