BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bay Scallops - Conception Bay - Soon to be Extinct?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 09:30 PM

Sr. Pompano, sorry to disagree, but what you called 'Hacha' are penn scallops, and I understand they are the 'ancha' scallops. The hacha (or 'acha') are the purple lipped you're calling 'burra'. Personally, both are ok, your 'burra' being a little tastier and less tough. The penn scallops (foot-long and buried deep) were tougher; I've harvested dozens from the far shore MANY years ago, and they needed a lot of pounding to tenderize. I tried slicing them, once taking the end of my finger off, thereby negating fishing or swimming for a few days, to say the least.

Anyway, IT'S ALL GOOD ! And for those who mentioned they don't like 'em, even better..... more for me !! The Talon from the penn scallop, the chicken-foot-looking muscle from the bottom point of the shell is still one of my top-three favorite mariscos. From ceviche to a white mushroom garlic cream sauce made from nutri leche and a little cornstarch roux with tarragon and basil over penne pasta w/ garlic bread and parmesan....... ooh my.

Don't tell anyone about the talones; I don't want it to get out..... ;)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 09:53 PM

I dove into the frozen food section at Costco this weekend and came up with these:

They seemed to be plentiful.

Separating them from their outer covering was easy with a pair of scissors.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-20-2015 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Sr. Pompano, sorry to disagree, but what you called 'Hacha' are penn scallops, and I understand they are the 'ancha' scallops. The hacha (or 'acha') are the purple lipped you're calling 'burra'. ..........

Anyway, IT'S ALL GOOD ! )

Good info on the scallops, bajabuddha, but I think you're confusing me with carlosg's nice post from Chivato..where I once lived and dove frequently. Sometimes we all get so involved on using the correct terms we forget the conversation. I like to stick to what I call them to amigos and vice versa...hence for me, it's more common to say it's either a rock, bay, or hatchet scallop. Sorry for the misnaming, but like you said. It's all very good, whatever you want to call it.

Now that we've got them...whose recipe shall we use?

Bon Appetite!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-20-2015 at 10:15 AM

You're right, Sr. I get confused with all the luscious pics.... after I catch my breath, I just call 'em "Precious!!" Bon apetit.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

sd2hi
Junior Nomad

Mood: ready for action!

[*] posted on 8-16-2015 at 05:50 PM

Last time I was at Concepcion was 1987. Scallops everywhere. After a couple of days we got tired of shucking them and just bought them. $4 per kilo. I'm going back this October guess I'll brink a big box of tissues to dry my eyes when I see the bay all fished out :-(

When we were down there in 1987 my friend picked up a scallop and when he opened it there was a small mom octopus holding the two shells together. There were babies inside also. He held it in his palm for me to take a photo and it bit him? hahaha, I'll have a look for the photo and post it.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2015 at 09:22 AM

Last year I drove from the end of Concepcion up to the mine on the East side of the bay. There was a group of students who were studying the Catarina or swimming scallop (don't want to confuse anyone) and they said there were lots of seed scallops and they were trying to find out what they needed to do in the way of protection to get them to adult size again. They had a lot that were 1-2 inches in diameter and they suspected that the divers took them as soon as they were of any size. They felt that if they could get a protected area, they would recover nicely. It was amazing to see the baby scallops that were about 1/2 in diameter and watch them swim in a petri dish.

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-17-2015 at 09:40 AM

^^^ I would love to see the swimming (Catarina) variety, so far only on film :(

[Edited on 8-17-2015 by BajaRat]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2015 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
There's a huge difference between acha, ancha, and catalina scallops; it was the free-swimmers (catalinas) that were obliterated are the small pink shelled ones that litter the shores of the bay. Acha are the purple-lipped heavy shelled scallops, grow to at least 6 to 8 inches in diameter and anchor to rocks; look just like the rocks too, unless you know what you're looking for. The ancha are the penn-scallops, with the foot-long shells that anchor deep in gravelly/rocky beds.

My last full-winter stay (6 months worth) on La Bahia was about 4 years ago, and a young Mexican couple that lived right above me on the hill were Pescadores; he'd dive just off our beach in about 20' of water, had the proper permit, and harvested an amazing amount of acha scallops. There were callo (scallop) harvesters all over the Bay that year; at least two other boats worked the same area as mi vecino, Ezekiel. However, they went 'overboard' (pun intended) on the take; the next year (and I believe 2 years) there was a moratorium on the Bay, and no scallops to be had anywhere unless they were brought in from somewhere else. For years I could stop by Bertha's tienda across from Coyote entrance and order talones from her, and she'd radio her own personal Pescadores for them (if not too windy). After the too-heavy harvest even she couldn't score any.

Both acha and ancha give the large 'puro' muscle that's about 2" in diameter or so; acha are a little less tough and more flavorful. Both also offer the 'talon' muscle, my favorite of all, and little known in the gringo community. Catalinas, the small little button-sized scallops are still available, just not from Bahia Concepcion. For the last 3 years i'd buy my talon de callos from a tienda in Santa Rosalia, same with catalinas.

[Edited on 5-19-2015 by bajabuddha]

Major difference between the western and eastern scallop shells too:

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.