Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Pelagic Red crabs invading Bahia Todos Santos Ensenada
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 02:55 PM
Pelagic Red crabs invading Bahia Todos Santos Ensenada

They have been washing ashore on the west facing beach along the Punta Banda "Spit". That pretty much kills the fishing in the bay since the fish have all gorged themselves on these.

Bob Durrell
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 03:15 PM

Reports offshore for a while is that the rad crabs have been around for a while,
some Yeowfin Tuna caught 70 mi. so.
off San Diego a couple days
ago, the El Nino prediction is said to be strong, hopefully a lot
of rain in Ca.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 03:57 PM

this is the 3rd event with the red crabs in my lifetime. glad to see them again!

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 04:12 PM

Years ago we were camped out on the beach near San Quentin. A friend of mine had driven down in his wife's Trooper. Thought he would test it out in a high speed run down the flat hardpacked sand. He came back to camp grinning about what great fun it was to run over all the dead red crabs that covered the beach.

A day after he got home the Trooper started to smell funny. Soon the odor got really bad. No more grin. Wife decidedly unhappy, "no more boys' trips for you!"

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 12:16 AM

Are they good for bait? they make quite the impression. Never seen them, are they aggresssive, bite?

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 02:55 AM

Squat lobsters
The squat lobster usually end up onshore during an El Nino event or when water temperatures get warm, according to Steers.
http://ktla.com/2015/02/23/thousands-of-squat-lobsters-wash-...

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 04:11 AM

All the fish we caught while fishing iron 2 winters ago at Asuncion were stuffed with these guys. Yet there was no sign of them on the surface.

That's a lot of protein on that beach.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 05:29 AM

Pelagic red crabs are candy for just about anything else swimming. Here are some on the Ridge outside Mag Bay that a school of squid found:

[Edited on 5-19-2015 by bill erhardt]

[Edited on 5-19-2015 by bill erhardt]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 06:16 AM

Can you boil them up like crawfish?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 06:21 AM

Doesn't seem to hurt the fishing around Punta Banda. Yesterday, Ivan Villarino told me his customers caught a mess of big Yellowtail.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 06:38 AM

Here's another account of those red crab massings in Baja.

These are photo 'captures' I took from an old video camera I used to film a massive beaching of red crabs in Coyote Bay in the spring of 1987. It was utterly wild! There were literally millions and millions of the little red crabs in the waters and piled high on the shorelines.

I did a lot of reading and research about these creatures back then. They are commonly known in English as Pelagic Red Crab, Tuna Crab, or Lobster Krill.
Some local Baja names are… Langostilla, Langostino chileno

Pelagic Red Crab, (Pleuroncodes planipes, family Galathidae, if you’re writing a thesis): These Pelagic Red Crabs are a very unique species that serves as a vital food source for a wide variety of marine life including the Humboldt squid, turtles, whales, and all sorts of fish.

The Pelagic Red Crab is found in the open ocean and on occasion is washed ashore during the spring months.

In Mexican waters, this creature is found predominately along the lower west coast of the Pacific side of the Baja California peninsula and in our Sea of Cortez south of the Midriff Islands, and ranges to about 125 miles south of Cabo San Lucas.

This crab species is believed to spend the majority of the year hiding in and around sandy bottoms. However, during the spring it travels in enormous dense schools, up to 10 individuals per square foot, that have been estimated to consist of up to 200 billion individual members weighing a total of 300,000 tons.
These schools attract a vast number of diverse predators. The Pelagic Red Crab is approximately 4 inches in length, with the shell measuring just over 1 inch. It swims backwards by flipping it tail and streamlining its legs. The Pelagic Red Crab feeds on planktonic bits of food.

The Pelagic Red Crab is utilized by the panga flotilla of commercial fishermen to catch red snappers, the prized Huachinango, out of deep holes by the bucket load; the snappers are only interested in live specimens and will not touch dead ones, making same day collection and maintenance a key for the successful use of this crab as a bait. The Pelagic Red Crab is also used to catch the Pacific Creolefish in large numbers on or near the surface on some occasions.

The pelagic red crab, also called "tuna crab.". These crabs sometimes form solid floating masses on the ocean surface and they are a preferred forage when available. In 1970, Ray Cannon wrote a column in Western Outdoor News about a huachinango surface frenzy stimulated by red crabs off San Jose del Cabo.

Sometimes they die and wash ashore by the millions, forming windrows hundreds of yards long, like the ones I videoed here in Coyote Bay. At the time of my filming, all the beaches and shorelines from Conception Bay to south of Loreto were windrowed with the dead and dying mass. Truly one of Nature’s impressive events.

Below are some clear 35mm photos and also ‘captures’ of the video images.. but those came out a little fuzzy.

When the masses were out in open water you could look down and see solid red, and also see huge red snapper trashing in and out of the schools.

Once the crabs were dead and washed up on the shore…surprisingly absolutely nothing would touch them. Not a gull, buzzard, Norwegian, or cow would eat them. They just accumulated by the jillions. Oddly, I did not notice any smell, although they were around for a couple days. Even my black lab, Gypsy, took a whiff and said No thanks. Little Brian from next door thought he’d try one, but he had second thoughts after sucking on one. Hey, I tried to stop him, but in reality it’s best he learns on his own!

The red windrows went all the way around the Bay. Lots of campers had to shovel a path through the crabs to reach the water. What a story they must have told back home!

A few days later…and a few high tides…and it was clean and smooth as usual. Gypsy and Brian went beach-combing again to check things out…eating things as they found them.

Never a dull day in Paradise.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 07:02 AM

Great post! As always, informative AND entertaining. I've been a salt water fisherman for 65 years and I consistently learn something from your missives. Wish I had a few more profs like you during my younger years.
Muchas gracias
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 07:47 AM

A friend emailed me some videos of something similar the other day from dog park at Fiesta Island here in San Diego.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Can you boil them up like crawfish?

my thoughts eggsackly!!!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 10:49 AM

Just get word to the Chinese community in your neighborhood about this. They'll have the beaches cleaned in no time at all. They eat anything.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 11:21 AM

Dennis..even pelicans won't eat them from the beach.

And...did you know that eating the live red crabs gives salmon their red meat color?

read it here.....http://spo.nmfs.noaa.gov/mfr3610/mfr36101.pdf

4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 12:42 PM

So, no one answered DT's question--has anyone boiled them up like lobster and eaten them? Just askin'. Thanks for response, and thanks for great pix.

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2015 at 12:11 AM

A few weeks ago all the fish we caught at Puerto Santo Tomas (just south of Ensenada) were coughing them up once landed.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 07:21 PM

I have batter fried tlive ones in the past.. They don't taste like much.. Not bad dipped in c-cktail sauce, but generally meh..
The Korean restaraunt that Cooke them for me loved it.... Shocking

TT
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 09:49 AM

Unless you're a tuna, don't waste your time trying to eat one of the live pelagic crabs..let alone a dead one from the beach. Hardly any meat and it's not anything like a nice fresh crawfish where you just flavor-boil it a bit, twist off and suck the head, then peel and dip the tail in your favorite sauce...which is damn yummy. My chums and I have done just that with many a crawdad on fishing trips since we were old enough to roll over rocks in the streams.

But as for these red crabs we're seeing and hearing about..as Crocodile Dundee said about the goanna, grubs, and beetles he's roasting..."Well, you can live on it, but it tastes like _ _ _ _!" :rolleyes:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.