BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Evinrude E-tec service in Baja?
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 03:01 PM
Evinrude E-tec service in Baja?

Considering repowering my 'new' 16' Bayrunner with a 30hp E-tec. Seems like they're a real nice blend of weight, power, and economy.

The biggest downside I can see with 'em is there's a lot of electronics and new-fangled technology.

Question is - does anyone in Baja work on these motors?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 05:05 PM

They never need to be worked on, at least that's what cappy says.:lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 09:06 PM
nice motors

ask POMPANO he has one and I only know of one outboard made that has a NO nothing for three years...for high tech service/repair,, mexico has never been known for that in regard to outboards
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 07:02 AM

Actually Fransisco in San Lucita, south of Santa Rosalia, has experience with those motors. And from what I have seen and how they interact with the overly saline condition of our water, you need to have him on speed dial.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 08:39 AM
marine motors

the product called "Saltaway" has proven itself to be more than a 'snake oil' and I recommend it to all my guys !! even motors with a closed (full) cooling system....the yammy two strokes were good motors,,But you can not buy them in some usa markets..the four strokes are a bad joke..nothing but issue's and are heavy,costly and parts are more than gold...the ETEC'S have proven themselves and knock on wood no issues..myself have a pair of bullet proof 2004 mercury 75hp (carbed) 2str and am more than happy...most fishermen don't respond to surveys and consumer reports about outboards are done by arm chair wanna bee's...with that in mind " use your boat often,,keep the cooling system fresh,,spray down the pwr head with a good oil..keep your catch,beer cold,,hooks sharp...."Tight Lines"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 10:41 AM

E-tech 115.

Used equally in salt and fresh since 2006..hundreds of hours each year, regularly maintained & serviced, as with all engines over last 50 years.

An important plus...It's quiet and doesn't disturb my fishing buddy.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 08:45 PM

Thought I'd seen a few of the E-Tecs on here. I'm happy to buy the service manual / diagnostic software and do what I can myself, but always nice to have a mechanic around in case that I can't get out of my own way. :D

I would *love* to buy a 2-stroke Yamaha for this boat. Unfortunately they haven't been made for US sales since the 2008 model year. I have seen a few new-old-stock but the asking prices are ridiculous and I'd have to have it shipped out here.

The E-Tec I'm considering is local and priced right. Assuming it all checks out tomorrow I'll give it a shot. I have the rest of the summer to work out the kinks before Baja 2015-2016.

[Edited on 5-23-2015 by chavycha]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 09:51 PM
ETEC

about the ONLY drawback that I've heard is the oil isn't on the cheap side...That said,,they don't use much !!
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2015 at 01:12 AM

Well it checked out great, so I'm now an Etec owner. Turns out it was a couple years newer than advertised, and judging by the cosmetics, doesn't have much use on it. The only downside is it's a bit portly (160#) but hey, wouldn't we all would like to be a few pounds lighter?!? Came with twelve gallons of gas and a gallon of the XD100 oil, too. :D

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2015 at 01:14 AM

Gotta admit, though, it was a little creepy to have the cowling off and see a bunch of circuit boards sitting there. Same goes for the not having a choke. You mean all you do is just push the button and it starts? So strange...
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-25-2015 at 06:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
You mean all you do is just push the button and it starts? So strange...

Hopefully! After all, it is still an outboard motor!

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2015 at 06:49 AM

I love my 90 Etec - was strange at first with no choke but always starts with a simple turn of the key. I found the tach gauge with the check engine light interesting also - engine does a full diagnostic as it starts.

[Edited on 5-25-2015 by 55steve]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-25-2015 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
Gotta admit, though, it was a little creepy to have the cowling off and see a bunch of circuit boards sitting there. Same goes for the not having a choke. You mean all you do is just push the button and it starts? So strange...

There's gotta be a forum for owners of those engines. Find it and get on it. For sure, you could get good into on The Hull Truth forums.

I imagine that there is a diagnotic port, similar to a OBD II connector on today's cars. Similar in function, not necessarily in appearance. Maybe someone has developed a way for a layman to read the fault codes, like we do with autos these days. Reading the codes can be key to doing some of your own fixes.

I'd say the lack of a choke is because they are probably a direct-injection type of fuel system; not needed with the higher pressures of injection pumps.

Do the circuit boards seem to be coated with something like an acrylic to protect it? I would hope so. If not, see what other owners might be doing to protect those boards. I have used acrylic spray to great advantage around salt water, in the past.

Your engine weight seems about middle of the pack, according to this site. Amazing how many variations of a 30hp engine, the E-tecs have.

http://outboards.axlegeeks.com/d/h/30
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2015 at 10:24 AM
Chavycha,, congrats !!

Hope you didn't run that old gas thur her !! anyway, don't bother with "the hull truth'' or bloody decks" ck ETEC natain or other ETEC forums for info..also do you have a Tach on your boat ?? If not find, some one that has a two stroke tach and find out what the WOT is and get the right pitch prop..Very,Very important for everything...awesome motor !! YOU will love it !! btw Deep cycle batts are for motor homes. not outboards..get a marine CRANKING batt group 27 as it states in your owners manual... "tight lines" K&T
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 12:35 PM

Well, we've run the little ETEC daily for the past month in Bahia Asuncion. It sat in a storage unit from June 2015 to December 2016, and started up right away when we pulled it out for this trip. I can't say enough good things about the motor so far. It's incredibly fuel efficient, idles smooth, starts on the first push of the button (EVERY time)... and oh yeah, filled the oil tank when we first got here and it's still nearly full, despite having pushed several tanks of gas through it. Trolls nice, gets up on plane in a hot second, and pushes the beamy Bayrunner just fine even with four good-sized people in it.

The only thing that I wish it had is a better way to get it into shallow water drive, but you can't have everything.

For what it's worth, I bought one of the lithium ion starting batteries for motorcycles and I have no idea how they are not more popular. The thing has 330CCA and weighs (no fooling) about 2 pounds.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 04:31 PM

Thanks for the up-date. All sounds good.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 11:17 PM

That's great to hear. I've been sitting on the buy/don't buy for awhile now. My 14' Livingston has a 20hp Yama 4 stroke now, it does ok but 10 more HP would be even better.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 11:37 AM

It'd scoot with one of these, but they are fairly heavy (160-200# depending on model) so make sure it'll balance out when hung on your rig.

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2018 at 08:36 PM

We are in Bahia Asuncion again and apparently did not bring enough of the $$$ XD-100 oil down for the remainder of the trip. Thought we had enough but a lot of long runs have depleted the supply quicker than I'd anticipated.

The E-tec apparently can run on either the expensive XD-100 or regular two-stroke oil, but of course that is a software setting that can only be changed by the dealer (or someone with the software diagnostics package). Effing stupid design if you ask me... what's wrong with having a switch??? Anyhow...

We're headed south (East Cape area) in a few weeks... any ideas on where to buy the XD-100 or anyone who may have the ability to change the programming on the engine?
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2018 at 07:11 AM

You may have to ship it to yourself or to someone at your final destination and you might want to order soon so it can to you in time. Seems like a real long shot to find in MX. All the panguereos around here use Honda or Yamaha.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.