Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chevy 5.3 ?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 06:00 AM
Chevy 5.3 ?

My truck has started to show a little puff of whitish-grayish smoke on startup in the morning; 18K miles. Sometimes it will do it during the day while I'm running chores or going to jobsites. Took it in to the Chevy dealer who checked it out by keeping it over night and they saw it too. Said there is a bulletin out on this, it is "normal" and is the result of the injectors giving an extra shot of gas that seeps down to the exhaust manifold and gets burned on start-up.
Did I get this right? I have visions of worn valve guides at 18,000 miles.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 06:25 AM

have you looked around at Chevy forums to see what others think, besides the dealer?

KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 06:48 AM

Is it using oil or coolant??

Pull the plugs before you start it and look inside the cylinders if possible
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 07:46 AM

They did all of these tests; no coolant leaks, no coolant in the oil, not using any fluids of any kind. They did an oil change at the same time and it was at the full mark before the change after 5000K.
Good idea about the chevy forums, will try that and report back.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 07:59 AM

I bought a new Chevy 2500 in 1990 with a 5.7 - I loved the truck but around 15K miles I noticed it was spewing a little smoke on start up - it was garage kept so it was obvious. It smelled oily so I took it to the dealer. They also said a little white smoke on start up was normal. I argued that the smoke was blue and oily and stated that it was bad valve guides. This went on for several months and the dealer finally told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and not to bring the truck back. I was angry and stated that I was done with GM products and went on my way.

I traded the truck in and about 6 months later GM issued a TSB about bad valve guides and bring the vehicle to the dealer for repair.

I haven't purchased a GM product since - not because they are bad but my service experience with them was terrible. My truck had 17K miles at the time.

[Edited on 5-22-2015 by 55steve]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 08:02 AM

What does the exhaust smell like. Keep an eye on the fluids.
I had to have both heads replaced at 100,000 due to cracks in the heads. Loosing coolant every couple of weeks.
BajaBean
Junior Nomad

Mood: Garboso

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 08:10 AM

GM spends all their money on glitzy advertising.
My pickup, after 2 weeks off the showroom floor dropped the harmonic pulley off the end of the crankshaft. Destroyed the crank. After that it was a constant litany of mechanical issues, eventually resulting in the destruction of the engine thanks to some very bad warranty work by the dealer.

A transam I bought later lost the transmission at 37K miles and the second at 75K.

I am with you steve. Never again will I buy a GM vehicle. GM operates on the PT Barnum principles of business. There is a succor born a minute.

The opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 11:55 AM

OK: two possible reasons:

1. Condensation getting burned - I have noticed that the weep hole in the muffler will drip water from time to time (not the A/C drip).

2. Many on the Chevy boards have suggested turning the AMF off. This is the automatic fuel management system that turns off 4 cylinders when cruising. Hmmm, I like the fuel mileage I'm getting, think I will go with the former.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 02:29 PM

i'd guess water but the you said you have one of those engines that turn off cylinders...

it could be water in those HOT cylinders or in the CAT converter
they get HOT too

I would ask to talk to the factory rep and document the meeting
the dealer will arrange that

you probably have a 50k guarantee on the engine
they'll find out later and fix yours if its something impt

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 03:01 PM

Most Chevs will puff a little smoke on start up (all three of mine did). Its a very common problem. They have a poor valve guide seal design. The seals will harden with age and heat and eventually pass a little oil when the truck is not running, which is the cause of the puff on start up. My best advice, don't look back when you start it, just put it in gear and go.;)
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 03:40 PM

My 96 Dodge, 377,000 miles, has always let out a puff of Black smoke, whenever I am pulling a Big trailer and pass a Chevy or Ford...Owners manual says its a standard feature.....:P

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
have you looked around at Chevy forums to see what others think, besides the dealer?

x2.
Also, http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm -> Tow Vehicles

FYI, my 93 Chevy is puiffing for the first few minutes. Whitish smoke.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.