BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Termites - dry wood - problem - any ideas?
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 04:06 PM
Termites - dry wood - problem - any ideas?

To all: I have some built in cabinets. This past year I have had droppings. Tried injecting into the holes. I cant reach some of the holes. Anyone had any luck on killing the termites? Also tried bringing the temp up with heater after visqueen and tape around the cabinets. Not hot enough with the heater. Maybe a larger heater. I have never seen a tent over a structure in Baja, using a gas? Any ideas? Thanks bk
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 04:51 PM

I did have my house tented in Ensenada I also had them bomb without the tent. It was 2 years later that I had it tented. I do not remember who did it.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 05:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, I am in Southern Baja, Pescadero on the Pacific Coast.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 05:29 PM

your answer...
you probably have concrete termites
they need to make a loop to the soil

this stuff is sold at home depot in la paz
its about 350 pesos a bottle

whatever you do don't use diesel
it stinks forever

DSC01931.JPG - 95kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 06:56 PM

No mud, this is upstairs, I believe they were in the wood when the cabinets were built. The counter top is concrete, so taking a couple of the cabinets out is an issue. bk
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 07:54 PM

everyone thinks that the bugs were in the wood
but termites like the soil and go up and down

the spray will work

our website is:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 09:49 PM

Very simple solution: the same way you get rid of goatheads and morning glory........

MOVE
:smug: :lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 10:49 PM

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7440.html
submarine_dbk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 03:07 PM

Subterranean termites need to return to soil - that's where they nest. Drywood termites are more difficult. You can inject - but you need to do so near where they are. If there are unfinished portions on the wood, you can try treating with Boracare solution. The salts will sink deep into the wood and stay there. When wood is eaten, it disrupts termites ability to digest the wood properly and they die. Takes a while, but studies show it is very effective. You can also try pesticide treated varnish and hope it sinks in deep enough to both kill and deter future infestations.

Lots you can read about at http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ - both termite types and how to self treat with modern chemicals.

4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 12:36 AM

like I said earlier, buddha, wicked, wicked sense of humor, you're
caveat says it best. Always enjoy your posts. L' Chaim!

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2015 at 08:58 PM

Hey all, I have not had internet connection, thanks for the replies. I believe I have dry wood termites. So my question is has anyone seen a whole house tented in southern baja. Any companies tenting and gassing in La Paz or Cabo San Lucas. Spot treating is out of the question. Cheaper to tent, than replacing cabinets and counter top. Thanks bk
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2015 at 09:29 PM

Try these guys .... they might be able to point ya in the right direction

http://univares.com/structural-pest-control

did see places getting "tented" when down few years back ... but, only from TJ down to Ensenada ... Don't think there is anything out there which can do as good of job as Vikane® (Sulfuryl fluoride) and termites are still in operation in Baja ... so pest control would be a business which would make sense

Give Dow a call, they might be able to hook you up .... they make it..... http://www.dowagro.com/vikane/

They maybe still using Methyl Bromide ... don't know, its use has been greatly restricted due to "Green House Gas" classification along with Ozone depletion classification, unless something has changed

Not sure if a Termite Inspection is required by banks and/or agency in all Fido and/or private property transactions, at this time in Mexico and/or Baja

HUD used to require a pre-treat on all build outs for "sub's"... others entities too ... 10 gallons of Chlordane per linear foot was what HUD called for as late as 1988, when its use was voluntary cancelled in the US by the Registrants :biggrin::biggrin:

Cancer concerns and longterm negative impact ...

Nasty little critters .... For property owners :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 5-26-2015 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 5-27-2015 by wessongroup]
submarine_dbk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2015 at 05:46 PM

We had extensive slab drilling and injection of Termidor solution for our house in Chivato to treat for subterranean termites. We also had lots of exterior wood treated with pesticide laced varnish. Finally self treated lots of exposed wood inside our cabinets with Boracare solution (fairly non-toxic) and have had no issues with recurrent infection. We used these guys in Santa Rosalia. They did a great job.

Fernando Ricardo Díaz Trujillo
Killer pest control.
Gerente de operaciones.
Móvil: 6151557059.

We had inquired about tenting, but they did not have access to the Vikaine. They may be able to point to someone in your area that can do it though. Vikaine will kill them, but I don't know that it will do anything to prevent re-infection. Something to inquire about or research more.

Good luck!

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2015 at 06:46 PM

Thanks, was hoping someone had work done ... would share :):)

http://pestboard.ca.gov/howdoi/research/2009_drywood_rpt.pdf
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2015 at 07:30 PM

This guy does my place. He has the equipment and uses a quality poison. He is out o f Loreto, speaks English and will travel. He's scheduled to spray here the end of June.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 08:14 AM

Thanks all, so nobody has seen a tented house in Southern Baja (La Paz / CSL), using gas to kill off "Dry wood termites". Spraying will not get into the wood. My other option is to bring the room temp up to 130 degrees for an hour or so. Blow hot air in by mylar hose. I am not sure of the heater needed. bk
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elskel  
Thanks all, so nobody has seen a tented house in Southern Baja (La Paz / CSL), using gas to kill off "Dry wood termites". Spraying will not get into the wood. My other option is to bring the room temp up to 130 degrees for an hour or so. Blow hot air in by mylar hose. I am not sure of the heater needed. bk

Why not buy this hot air gun (not a hair dryer) on line from Home depot? Just hold far enough away from cabinet wood so that it doesn't blister the finish (experiment by pointing it at a thermometer first until it reads 150 =/-) and slowly pass it over all the wood you can reach to kill the termites. Don't have to do it all in one day:

PRODUCT OVERVIEW Model # PS07343 Internet # 203485679
Easily remove paint, adhesives, caulk and more with the Pro-Series 1500 Watt Heat Gun. This multi-purpose tool removes peeling paint, loosens adhesives on floor tiles, thaws frozen pipes, dries parts or strips paint. A concentrated heat output in two heat settings will help form and bend metals or plastic. The Heat Gun kit includes four assorted nozzles, an air spreader nozzle, a hook nozzle, a deflector nozzle, and an air reduction nozzle.
Easily remove paint, adhesives, caulk and more
Multi-purpose tool removes peeling paint, loosens adhesives, or thaws frozen pipes
Concentrated heat output will help form and bend metals or plastic
Includes four assorted nozzles: air spreader nozzle, hook nozzle, deflector nozzle, and an air reduction nozzle
12.5 Amp / 120 Volts / 60 Hz
2 heat settings: 707 degrees F / 923 degrees F
Home Depot Protection Plan:

Bob Durrell
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
This guy does my place. He has the equipment and uses a quality poison. He is out o f Loreto, speaks English and will travel. He's scheduled to spray here the end of June.

this guy is good..we've used him..in fact he was here yesterday and I forgot to ask him about this until he was driving away...

call him...he'll have the answer

EDIT...speaks perfect english

[Edited on 5-27-2015 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 07:21 PM

It's been my experience that it is virtually impossible to get rid of them, with any locally available treatment options, once they have infested the wood. The available treatments are all topical and don't penetrate into the wood, especially after it's had a finish applied to it.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 03:47 AM

They are insects, and will not be going away anytime soon ...

With the growing region to the south, where the labor problems are, would imagine they must use a pre plant fumigation for the strawberries with Methyl Bromide ... Its use is still allowed in the States for some Ag uses

It used to be THE material for Structural Fumigation ...

Not all that hard to use ... really ...

Better hurry though ...

"While the European Union phased out methyl bromide completely in 2013, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has been granting so-called critical use exemptions (CUEs) since 2005. These have been granted whenever an industry argues that not using methyl bromide would create “significant market disruptions” and when there are “no technically or economically feasible alternatives or substitutes.” But after 2016, CUEs will no longer be an option. - See more at: http://civileats.com/2015/01/12/the-future-strawberry-will-t...

no recommendation nor warranty implied and/or given :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 5-28-2015 by wessongroup]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.