Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Punta Chivato
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 04:23 PM
Punta Chivato

I am planning a trip from Asuncion to Punta Chivato for 2 or 3 days of fishing. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of camping spots in the area, preferably close to a beach where I can launch my kayak.

Thanks

Ross
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 04:57 PM

No improved camp sites. The "camping beach" is a good location but no water or other facilities and our restaurant/hotel is closed.Fishing can be outstanding in June thru the summer early and late just out side the hammer head/the light tower. Wind can be an issue any where so be prepared. Ask any resident about other camp & fishing spots.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
No improved camp sites. The "camping beach" is a good location but no water or other facilities and our restaurant/hotel is closed.Fishing can be outstanding in June thru the summer early and late just out side the hammer head/the light tower. Wind can be an issue any where so be prepared. Ask any resident about other camp & fishing spots.

Thanks Russ

Another quick question. Is the turn off from Mex 1 signed or should I look for a Km marker?
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 06:18 PM

I'll put it this way, Ross...when I went there last year, there was a sign, but you never know when someone crashes into the signs in Baja.
The road is about 6 miles from Mex 1.
You'll be amazed at the difference in the water between BA and the lake-like water in Punta Chivato.
Send a U2 to Pescador on fishing tips for the area. He spends a lot of time there.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 06:24 PM

There is the Hotel sign or km156 if it's still there. Look for Palo Verde and the last road on the south end that's concrete and go straight.

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 10:24 PM

gO SLOW iT WASN'T GRADED TOO WELL LAST TIME i WAS THERE BUT IT IS AN INTERESTING PLACE
Oh well had the caps on sorry!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 11:28 PM

Awful road....if you can call it that

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 05:58 AM

Chuckie, Always with the positive comments....
Actually the road is in good condition as of the last 4 months. It's a dirt road so there are the pot holes and some wash board areas. It gets dragged once a week. The bad thing today is that the owner of the camp beach has no interest in maintaining a camp area so no improvements. It's a shame because many of the residents came off the camp beach and we did a lot of business with the old hotel. But it would take a care taker to maintain and prevent vandalism.. Oh, and collect fees.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 06:55 AM

We went in there last year to the sale...my wife said she would rather have a root canal than do it again...My comment is positive....Its a terrible road....I am positive of that

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 06:58 AM

Once you make it to Chivato, you have a lot of possibilities in terms of camping areas. The old campground might be a possibility, but if you can handle the "bad road" in there, you will find a lot of roads heading out in various directions that lead to real gems of isolated beaches and camping areas. There is a back road, accesible by two wheel drive that runs from San Bruno to Chivato and there are lots of areas that might be of interest there. San Marcos Tierra is an estuary just south of San Marcos Island that is a really pretty area. Just depends on how civilized or how primitive you want.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 07:38 AM

Great place,once ya get there...we go up in the boat now and then....

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 07:51 AM

If you deflate your tires about 1/3 (ie. 30 psi to 20 psi) the comfort level and puncture resistance is greatly increased. For sand driving, about 1/2 of street pressure is a good place to start.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 08:24 AM

DK you're right as usual. There is a tire shop a block north of the turn off for PC. Convenient to air up.
Pescador, Knows the area well and that's great advice to go explore the back roads. Keep a camera handy so you can show us where you have been. Google Earth shows the better roads if you want to plan ahead. And it's FREE:bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 08:36 AM

I haven't been to Punta Chivato, by land, since 1973... Just might have to explore those beaches Pescador describes this summer on our Baja Sur trip?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Once you make it to Chivato, you have a lot of possibilities in terms of camping areas. The old campground might be a possibility, but if you can handle the "bad road" in there, you will find a lot of roads heading out in various directions that lead to real gems of isolated beaches and camping areas. There is a back road, accesible by two wheel drive that runs from San Bruno to Chivato and there are lots of areas that might be of interest there. San Marcos Tierra is an estuary just south of San Marcos Island that is a really pretty area. Just depends on how civilized or how primitive you want.

Thank you sir. That is great information. I have was actually looking at that road South from San Bruno. I'm sure I can find a gem of a spot to camp along there. Primitive is fine for me. Thanks again.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 05:23 PM
ahhh Punta Chivato....

Hi Ross,

My family and I have camped at the camping beach a couple of times in the past three years, this is a great spot for snorkeling and just relaxing (my avatar photo is of a sunrise on that spot) actually this beach has the nicest and finest sand in the area, there's a beach just south of there -the camping beach- between the light beacon and the hotel where you can find scallops and chocolatas as well. If you do come to Punta Chivato don't pass the opportunity of eating at Julia's: she's a great cook and serves killer fresh seafood and handmade flour tortillas, she also sells beer, drinking water, sodas and good heavy fire wood. We always enter thru Palo Verde at the south end of "town": there's a concrete paved street that leads to the dirt road to Punta Chivato. The little store next to the road right on a corner just before the turn off is a good place to get supplies, it's a CONASUPO Store so the prices are really good, there's another store around the concrete loop (prices are slightly higher) where you can buy beer, ice, even meat and gas if needed. We love this place, the first time we camped out there we got hit by the remnants of hurricane Miriam, it took our camp down so we went and recovered at the Orchard in Mulege and then returned for another ten days to the camping beach... the following year we got hit by a sand storm and that was an experience to say the least, it lasted most of the day and it was howling and hauling a... Next time we would like to try Ensenada el Muerto, I think you can get there from the dirt road as it turns around the north end of the landing strip. Here's a good map that can be helpful: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=27.080908&lon=-111... the beaches by Estero San Marcos are also really nice and isolated, just remember to NOT ever leave your camp unattended, it's better to be careful than sorry!!!!

[Edited on 5-25-2015 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 06:05 PM

just remember to NOT ever leave your camp unattended, it's better to be careful than sorry!!!!

Hmmmmm that could be a problem since I am traveling alone and plan to kayak fish.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 06:05 PM

carlosg, I haven't seen the site you posted before and the imagery is much better than I get on Google Earth. I enhanced the screen shot I took to try to bring even more detail up.

Really an informative post. I often forget about Julia's restaurant. She's a good cook and if you provide fresh supplies she'll do you right or tell her what you want in advance and her son, Carlos, will bring them in each day.
here's another map

[Edited on 5-25-2015 by Russ]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  

Rossman, the area that Pescador describes is indeed a good area to camp. Quite a few of us went there often in the late 70's and throughout the '80's..leaving from the old Casa Grande at Punta Chivato. I even took my 31' Minnie Winnie 2WD motor home on the various desert trails. No services at all...you bring it in and also bring it out. We'd camp for several days on ocassion and hunted ducks, quail,and doves in the area, making blinds out of seashell and rock piles. There was then quite a series of old aqueducts constructed by an early French endeavor from San Bruno..long since gone. Sugar cane, wheat, olives, a vineyard...all gone, too. A very pretty and interesting area. Dump trucks used to come over the same trails to collect the pretty shells and rock to be used for house decor, driveways, pathways, etc....expensive loads.

I have seen other campers there from my boat while fishing the area, but not for a few years now. Today I would not leave anything unattended that you don't want to go missing. Sorry, but that's how it is in today's Baja...not like old times anymore.

p.s. Weather always affects these Baja trails, so get current info before traveling. Things get washed out every so often.

Hope you have fun and Good Camping!

[Edited on 5-25-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 06:35 PM

Pompano, You'd not know the San Marcos "estuary" today. The salt cedars you probably camped under are gone and are part of the "harbor" mouth. All salt water now. The water table that feed the artesian wells are almost dried up and there is little vegetation along the banks as it used to be. After '95 the series of hurricanes really ripped it up and opened the mouth.

Here is the back today

[Edited on 5-25-2015 by Russ]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.