Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Sea of Cortez Hates Dodge Trucks
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 11:08 AM
Subarus?

I had a couple of the early 80s GL models, one wagon, and one hatch back.
They were wonderful, simple little cars!
Subaru screwed up when they quit putting the low range option and adjustable suspension in them. With the rear torsion bar and front struts jacked up, and oversize tires, they were surprisingly good crawlers!

[Edited on 5-29-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 11:13 AM

They do have that CVT low range at the moment. Im currently driving an Outback and my daughter got my older impreza. never gets stuck. <yet> lol~

READY SET.....................
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Von  
They do have that CVT low range at the moment. Im currently driving an Outback and my daughter got my older impreza. never gets stuck. <yet> lol~

Good to know, I thought it was extinct! Now if they could just put out a no frills, easy to work on model....

BTW, If you never get stuck, you're not trying hard enough!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 12:27 PM

Go with the "diver" and taking "care" of the vehicle .. .

Pictures ... here's a video

just grabbed the first one off youtube

had an old 74 Dodge 360 3/4 ... used for cutting wood for 10 years ... couldn't kill it :biggrin::biggrin:

Will say, I could watch the fuel gauge go down when coming back with a full load, truck and trailer .. filled with wood :lol::lol:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 01:14 PM
Firewood truck

Well while we are wandering around the original topic, I feel it might be OK to hijack a little bit.
I am currently cutting oak for next winters heat in Northern CA. My truck.......a Kia Sportage pulling the 4x6 foot trailer I took down Baja last October. After dropping a few trees, I use the Kia to skid the logs to a landing where it is easier to limb and buck them up. It will fit through places a full size truck can't go.
With the back seat removed, and the trailer hooked up, I can haul a half cord at a time. A younger version of myself might not be satisfied with just a half cord, but at 68, that is plenty of work for one day!
The older Sportage (2002 and older) is a better little truck than it is a little car!

Edit; I should add that the braking is marginal with that load (approx 2200 lbs)

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 01:45 PM

Kia makes a truck?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 02:23 PM
Kia Truck....not really

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Kia makes a truck?

The 2002 and older models were built on a Mazda light truck drive train and engine. They made a four door SUV, and a two door soft top. I have both.
They are a body on a frame construction, with light truck axles. I bought them because it was the toughest little economy car I could get for the money, but there is no service or support in Mexico for them.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Kia makes a truck?

The 2002 and older models were built on a Mazda light truck drive train and engine. They made a four door SUV, and a two door soft top. I have both.
They are a body on a frame construction, with light truck axles. I bought them because it was the toughest little economy car I could get for the money, but there is no service or support in Mexico for them.

Oh OK. I thought you said/meant a truck.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 03:48 PM
Kia kind of truck like

I mean, I am skidding logs and crawling around off road with a half a cord of green oak! My old Subaru could never pull that off.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 07:31 PM
Dodge trucks

As a mech I like simple, well built, tried and trued..for me a truck dosnt need all the foo, foo bs !! Nothing wrong with a truck,, just a truck....BTW, anyone notice all the semi's that are now VOLVO ?? just look for the "bar" on the grill
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 11:28 PM

Hummers do indeed get stuck and yes, it's a reflection of who's behind the wheel. When I was last at Pete's Camp, renting the house with the marvelous deck and view, a Hummer came in late at night, made two wide a turn into it's palapa/parking area, and got REALLY stuck below the high tide line. I watched, chortling to myself, as the occupants, a tribe of 7 male yuppies, worked like dogs with no luck, and had to go get the Pete's Camp bulldozer driver up to get them out before they joined the ranks of the buried, but not forgotten, vehicles. Very interesting to listen to them at the bar the next day. Just hope they tipped him really well.

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
larryseawa

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 01:52 AM

Dodge Ram trucks rock! We have driven our 2010 Ram with Cummins all over the Baja including the beaches. No problems ever and using Pemex diesel.
The big difference on our vehicle is we have manual transmission and I installed 19.5" all weather Michelins on Rickson wheels and air lifts. We have high clearance and excellent traction. With the on board air compressor I can deflate tires down to 15 pounds and traverse most sandy conditions and then re-inflate for the road.
Also with the stick shift I can also start out in ANY gear and lug forward. The Cummins has so much torque it will pull strong at very low RPM.
Our dealer in LaPaz also has all the modern computer diagnostics and the mechanic there LOVES our truck.
After our warranty expires my next upgrade will be an after market chip that will increase power and mileage by about 30%.
Oh by the way - we never try anything stupid, especially in remote areas..
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
About those Dodges. The Cortez doesn't hate this one. On the contrary, I can only speak for myself..and will. Take care of your stuff. My Dodge Cummins 4x4 has over 500,000 miles on it and has spent half it's life next to salt water, where it gets constant washdowns. It's running strong today and likely will continue with proper maintenance...even working as a tugboat at times. ;)

My son has the same truck and he loves it!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 08:47 AM

Seems that besides Toyota, Dodge is also able to have strong customer loyalty. Quality, reliability, and performance is how a brand gets such high appreciation. Seems that most of the Dodge (Ram) Truck loyalty is with the diesel models? Are the gasoline trucks as highly praised by their owners?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 04:36 PM

I don't know if this Dodge truck is gas or diesel, but the Sea of Cortez hates it no matter what.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 04:57 PM

There's the money shot we were waiting for! I don't think airing down the tires is going to save this guy. Nothing left to do but wait for the tide to come in.
I have seen similar situations in Cooke Inlet, AK. The tide change up there is almost double what the Sea of Cortez experiences.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 08:08 PM

Hola AKgringo, amigo.

I have been to San Felipe and Puerto Peņasco dozens of times since the seventies, and I have seen 23' tides come and go.
I have also been to Cook Inlet and the general vicinity about a dozen times.
I think that both places have about the same average tide levels. My AK travels have taken me there also since the seventies.

Tight lines!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 10:01 PM
Hola Udo!

One of the first things I did when I got a Zodiac in the mid 80s, was to do a float fishing trip down the Little Susitna river. The plan was to drift and camp for two days, then when we reached the mouth of the river, it would be an easy crossing back to the Port of Anchorage.
I did not even think about a tide chart on a river trip, and had not yet learned that the spring tides are some of the highest of the year. We reached the mouth at low tide on a day that turned out to be a minus five foot, and a plus thirty three foot tide change.
The river channel at that point was steep, gooey silt banks, and the wind was blowing us back up stream. I put the motor down and powered down river until it became apparent that it was way too rough for a safe crossing back to Anchorage, so we retreated back up river to the last tree line to set up another camp. It took one tide cycle to float the Zodiac up to a point where I could beach it, and another high tide to launch it again.
The only salmon I got, we hit with the prop trying to get back up river, but I still came away with a trip to remember, and learn from!
Thirty eight feet, who knew?

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 07:55 AM
Turn again arm

My very first trip to AK was in a ford F250 with a four barrel on a 460..would turn it off and start walking away and hear a LOUD BURB !! That HoG drank gas like it was air !! Baluga's and Tidal bores..The Dodge gas 360 is a fine motor and so is the cummin's with the extra weight and noise and pulling power...any truck cannot argue with a cummins !! Funny how ford truck guys shut up and be quiet when you say "Cummin's"....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 08:47 AM
460 Ford

I have one of those pigs, (8 mpg tops) yet I am using a Kia with a trailer to get my firewood! My dad bought it new in 79, so for sentimental reasons, I have kept it around. It only has 116k on it, because watching the gas gauge is like a meter in a taxi.
It is still a nice ride, and is handy sometimes, but with all that power and weight over the front axle, it is terrible off pavement!
I have a few trees to thin out on a road with good access, so I guess I will use it today and over load it just to make the Kia jealous!

footnote, My dad bought this rig to haul his camper. This truck has been all over Mexico, mainland and Baja.

edit; This really has nothing to do with the original post, sorry Cortezblue!

[Edited on 5-31-2015 by AKgringo]

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.