BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Huge news in the international world of sports!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 10:36 AM

Corruption at the governing level and cheating on the field are two different things.

Are you saying that we should just throw our hands in the air, Roger, and allow it?

FIFA officials were pocketing millions of dollars that was supposed to be used for facilities and equipment in poorer countries. That's not right. Wrongs need to be righted. An example needs to be set.

I say turn the perps loose in a stadium of drunken English soccer fans. :lol:

[Edited on 5-29-2015 by Hook]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 10:38 AM

Breaking News...

Boss Tweed...opps...Sepp Blatter..has just been re-elected as president of FIFA.

It's all good now....Business as usual?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 02:19 PM
The Most POPULAR Sport in the WORLD ?

IF you were to gauge it by Worldwide Viewership, I've read that it's also probably the most elite sport of all.

F1 Auto Racing.

The Dollar figures are Staggering.

Including the Driver's Salaries and Sponsorship Monies.

The best of which (at present) is Brit Lewis Hamilton who just signed a 3-year contract extension with Mercedes for........$150 MILLION.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
Breaking News...

Boss Tweed...opps...Sepp Blatter..has just been re-elected as president of FIFA.

It's all good now....Business as usual?

Well, now maybe I"M throwing my hands up in the air!!! LOL!

Naturally, corruption on the scale of FIFA can't exist without some of the spoils trickling down to representatives of the countries.......the same representatives that vote for FIFA officials.

Blatter, in his acceptance speech, apparently said that he's willing to look into allegations of corruption in FIFA..........but the World Cup is hands-off, in terms of trying to change anything involving that.

Sounds like the same old wine...............
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 03:29 PM

Well Hook, as if that bad news is not enough...there's more.

I am merely a observer of politics and take deserved pokes at both sides... and am very hesitant to have to be the one who breaks this news on Nomads, but...now it appears that the FIFA has donated a few million to the Clinton Foundation. This was prior to the USA being picked for the 2016 World Game. Of course, there's a good chance that our major networks will not report on this, let alone any government agency investigate it.

Tsk, tsk..oh well, we'll have forgot it long before election time, right?

And so it goes.

All of this makes me more of a Soapbox Derby and Little League fan.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 03:55 PM

Well Hook, as if that bad news is not enough...there's more.

I am merely a observer of politics and take deserved pokes at both sides... and am very hesitant to have to be the one who breaks this news on Nomads, but...now it appears that the FIFA has donated a few million to the Clinton Foundation. This was prior to the USA being picked for the 2016 World Game. Of course, there's a good chance that our major networks will not report on this, let alone any government agency investigate it.

Tsk, tsk..oh well, we'll have forgot it long before election time, right?

And so it goes.

All of this makes me more of a Soapbox Derby and Little League fan.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 04:04 PM

Don't know what just happened, but I was attempting to post a response. The Republican field of candidates would overflow a clown car. You can thank me later, but given the amount of face time Willard and his wife are getting, mark my words, the 2016 presidential race will be between Hillary Clinton and Willard Romney.

The Romneys have recently been all over the media. No reason except another presidential run.

Fasten your seat belts.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Cubs?

if the Pads are runner up ? I'm cool with it.

Bob Durrell
Cypress 2

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 11:19 AM

YAWN!:D
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 11:30 AM

Seems to be the record for the shortest term as president.

Blatter just resigned from FIFA.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 01:37 PM

WHAT!!!!!!?????? WOW!!!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 01:42 PM

Blatter just resigned from FIFA. [/rquote]

I have to ask, is this also from The Onion?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 01:48 PM

Just read a story on CBS sports. Here't the part that worries me. Elections are a long ways off, at least 6-12 months, and he will remain in power until then. Even then, the election will be by the same body that re-elected him, in the face of this scandal. 6-12 months is enough time to come up with a "suitable' replacement........suitable to these same clowns.

And how about this tidbit quote..........

Blatter, who has held the post for 17 years and was re-elected to a fifth term on Friday, said that he plans to stay on in an advisory role.

"I am now free from the constraints of an election," said Blatter. "I will be in a position to focus on profound reforms. For many years we have called for reforms, but these are not sufficient."

Now, he's going to be FIFA's crusading angel????

Other reports have him under investigation by the FBI. I guess that goes without saying, really, in light of the recent arrests. How could you arrest a number of current and former officials of FIFA and not be looking at the prez?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Blatter just resigned from FIFA. [/rquote]

I have to ask, is this also from The Onion?

I heard it from FOX News quite a while ago. I've only read the Onion once or twice, so can't say if it was reported there or not.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 03:14 PM

The biggest thing in sports right now is the NBA finals. It should be really good this year.

GO WARRIORS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 08:47 PM

Yes, NBA in the US for sure...but in Europe for June... it's the FENCING Championships.

Go 3 Musketeers! ;)

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 12:17 AM

Yes, NBA in the US for sure...but in Europe for June... it's the FENCING Championships.

Go 3 Musketeers! ;)

Touche! But nobody could match the great Noel de'Maynes.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 05:25 AM

I'll be watching the Stanley Cup and rooting for Tampa Bay. Should be a good series.

I'll grant you that Curry and the Warriors, and LeBron and his latest team in the Finals, is a pretty good story. But there is still the interminable stoppages and free throws and lack of fundamentals by so many on the court.

I miss the pacing of Showtime vs the half-court offense of the Celtics in the 80s. What matchups those were! Magic, Bird, Kareem, The Chief, McHale, Worthy, By Scott, DJ, Coop, Ainge with ML Carr waving the towel from the bench. I am forever jaded.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 07:40 PM

I agree that the 86-87 Laker team was the best NBA team that ever was. The Michael Jordan Chicago teams of the early 90's are considered better by some but for me, who had seen both, there was no comparison.

But that was then and this is now. The great thing about sports is that like the news you are witnessing something unplanned as it is happening. The game changes in real time and that's why your emotions do as well. Recalling great games of the past just doesn't do it because you know what's happened or what's going to happen. That's the difference between sports and a play, a movie, a tv show, or even a las vegas show. Nothing is rehearsed. Everything is fresh and new.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 06:19 AM

Historical horse racing at Belmont Park. "American Pharoah" wins Belmont Stakes and becomes first Triple Crown winner in 37 years. The purse was $1.5 million.

The jockey was Victor Espinoza, the first Mexican to win that coveted title. When he was a boy in his native Mexico, Espinoza had been afraid of horses. Now, at 43, he knew they were a gift.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.