Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: "Aren't you afraid to go to Mexico???!!!"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2015 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
"I feel safer camping in Baja than most anywhere in the U.S.", is exactly what I tell them.

Well, that is ridiculous. There are some safe camping areas in Mexico. There are many, many more in the USA.

In fact the system of national forests, national parks and state and local parks and BLM lands makes the USA a prime country for camping,... Really is a fabulous, and safe, variety of public lands for camping in the USA. Mexico does not come close.

[Edited on 6-7-2015 by mtgoat666]

A feeling is 'ridiculous'? I thought it was a personal emotion. I thought you did everything based on emotion and not facts?

Please, keep camping in the USA... that increases my feelings about camping all the more. :light::O

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2015 at 07:13 PM

Let's see Ah Ha Baja Nomad. Is there an American Nomad site?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2015 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by treuboff  
Let's see Ah Ha Baja Nomad. Is there an American Nomad site?

It's called Quartzite AZ. And some other holes in the middle of nowhere, with low prices for camping/leasing. Wherever it's cheap (and not too ugly in terms of weather and services), people are going for winter. Baja is better only because there is more undeveloped (or not too heavily developed) waterfront space.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2015 at 10:31 PM

there are 2 kinds of folks, ones who ask when can we go with you to Mexico

And

The other, "Aren't you afraid to go to Mexico?"

My response has been simple

"well we've been shot at 3 times and they all missed, so I think it is pretty safe!"

Works evey time

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2015 at 11:24 PM

My friends that ask that don't even know where Baja is and think all of Mexico is by Rocky point. They don't even know that California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas all share borders with Mexico. I stopped trying to give them Geography lessons a long time ago.
As for camping in the USA vs Mexico there are good places and bad in both
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 06:57 AM

The people who ask won't go anywhere in Mexico at all, most don't camp at all, most rarely travel. In short, they have little knowledge and experience in being prepared for a trip. I just say "no, why should I be?" Then they ask, "You go by yourself?" I really tired of that one - kind of insulting - do they think I'm incompetent?
As for camping in US parks and campgrounds - apples and oranges. Have you ever camped at Yosemite Valley? I was astounded when we drove in to find our campsite - like camping at a Boy Scout jamboree, or Walmart parking lot. Which is why I still backpack and camp in isolated places - especially in Baja CA. My only fear is that my car will break down. I wish I could afford a newer car.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 07:46 AM

"I feel safer camping in Baja than most anywhere in the U.S.", is exactly what I tell them.

Well, that is ridiculous. There are some safe camping areas in Mexico. There are many, many more in the USA.

In fact the system of national forests, national parks and state and local parks and BLM lands makes the USA a prime country for camping,... Really is a fabulous, and safe, variety of public lands for camping in the USA. Mexico does not come close.

You never cease to amaze me. I guess you are so insulated in academic bliss that you fail to see what is going on around you. Anza Borrego has signs all over the place that it is unsafe due to smugglers and drug cartels operating in the area. Many state and federal lands have had shootings by people growing pot in the forest lands, both state and federal. So here's hoping you get a chance to spend many happy hours in your favorite camping spot but you may want to keep an eye open.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 08:12 AM

Would not have moved,here if I was worried. Funny thing is when my Mexican Vesino.Watches CN news on my TV. He says Wow USA is a dangerous place to visit.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 08:46 AM

not afraid to visit baja sur at all. The first time there rented a car and traveled all over, to todos, la paz, and all points between. Never felt unsafe even when lost in the barrios. The roads can be a bit scary, one laners in the mountains with blind curves. A bit nervos one time around ribera when we went down the wrong road and at the end found a ranch to ask where we were and a guy, a gringo, came around with a hunting bow arrow strung. more worried about having to pay a mordida to a cop. or get ripped off when leaving the car places. More afraid of breaking down in a isolated area, as we like to travel the unbeaten paths and isolated beaches. most people have no clue as they have never gone there. Most experiance the resorts and never venture any further. they miss out on everything baja. a resort is a resort, a pool and trucked in trees could be anywhere in the world you wouldn,t know the difference if you never left it. I like adventure and resorting is not an adventure. I have never been hassled other than the beach vendors if I am in cabo. I felt fearful when I was in the bahamas and tried to do some venturing around. mexico not at all, only a feeling of wow this is awesome.
VegasNick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  

You never cease to amaze me. I guess you are so insulated in academic bliss that you fail to see what is going on around you. Anza Borrego has signs all over the place that it is unsafe due to smugglers and drug cartels operating in the area. Many state and federal lands have had shootings by people growing pot in the forest lands, both state and federal. So here's hoping you get a chance to spend many happy hours in your favorite camping spot but you may want to keep an eye open.

We camp all over the western US and the best camping that I found by far is some of the abandoned mining camps and ghost towns. There are places in the US that we have camped where I slept with my shotgun along my side. (because of having people show up while we were there that I knew would be trouble) The way I see it, Baja would ne no different that the US. You wouldn't head off to Compton and camp in a back alley would you? :tumble:
bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 09:44 AM

Once when I when down by myself people kept asking me if I had been worried. I said no - but it was very difficult to drive and reload without my wife to help.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by VegasNick  

We camp all over the western US and the best camping that I found by far is some of the abandoned mining camps and ghost towns. There are places in the US that we have camped where I slept with my shotgun along my side. (because of having people show up while we were there that I knew would be trouble) The way I see it, Baja would ne no different that the US. You wouldn't head off to Compton and camp in a back alley would you? :tumble:

That's my point about Baja being safer. You were comfortable with a gun in the USA, and in Baja, I have never needed a gun to be comfortable.

As for the Compton comment, true... I tell folks I don't camp in cities, in either country. I go camping to get away from cities and connect with Nature. Nothing beats being outdoors, under the stars on the beach or in the desert without noise!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 10:14 AM

Academic? LOL! Me thinks you should believe less of what you read

I am amused that you tout Mexico as a safe place while simultaneously selling evacuation insurance, ain't that a flocking hoot?

Anyhow, all I said is that USA has a wider variety and greater quantity of safe camping than Mexico... Heck, I don't even see much public land in Mexico, Mexico seems to be mostly private lands relative to abundance of public lands in USA.

Anza borrego state park is a great park with great camping both remote and in formal campgrounds, and seems plenty safe to me. Don't know where you are seeing danger "signs all over"

Look at the cal and nev public lands, not much in Mexico can compete: ABDSP, Joshua trees, Kings, high sierras, Yosemite, tuolumne, Death Valley, Lagunas, etc. (too many to list, the variety and amount of public lands in cal and nev alone is astounding!)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 10:17 AM

People get evacuation insurance for HEALTH emergencies, not political or criminal reasons. :rolleyes:

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 10:21 AM

I am asked this question a lot too. My answer is, "There are places in L.A., Santa Maria, Fresno, etc. that I would not want to visit, but that doesn't make the entire state of California a dangerous place to be. Baja is the same for me."
Granted, I haven't been involved in a serious auto accident or experienced a medical emergency in Baja, knock on wood, so there is that aspect that always lurks in the back of my mind.
I would hope that I've made good connections down there and have resources that I could call upon if need be.
I've been vigilant in the years I've been traveling in Baja, and also down right lucky too.
What is that saying about living on the edge?

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 10:30 AM

I still get asked that on occasion...not by friends(they know the answer), but by new people who find out we have a home there. I tell them that no matter where I go I am "careful, not fearful". I have stayed in my home there alone when my husband has had to work. I actually feel safer there alone then when I am home here in WA alone. AND I have the same worries. Since I am a teacher I am a "reverse" snowbird and spend 6-7 weeks down in the summer. I always worry about someone breaking into our house here while we are gone. We were robbed at a former home here and it just stinks to know that someone has gone onto your property and taken things. Sorry about your break in. By the way, many of our friends who use to question us about being afraid have finally made the journey down with us and come back with a greater understanding of why we go there.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 11:10 AM

here ya go----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1x_vAVCu0
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 01:45 PM

As usual at Nomads :), after a few first posts it's hard to tell what it is about, anymore. Or what it has to do with the OP post.

Their home in CA was broken into. From where I'm standing, this has nothing to do with the heading "Aren't you afraid to go", i.e. "go" to the US or Mexico. Theft isn't a robbery.

Gringo homes in BOLA (where they spent 6 weeks) are getting broken into every fr-king summer, when most homes are vacant. Not all of them, but every summer. House-sitting is a steady business there. And it would've been same steady business in the US if our labor rates were lower and household goods - more expensive. As it is now, (a mixed and highly questionable blessing from China), goods are cheap, anybody can afford a new TV or toaster. Many homes NOB don't use house-sitter simply because alarm systems work well (and again, are affordable). Expensive homes in my area - where crime rate is relatively low - still hire 24-hour live security guard for when they are on vacation.

[Edited on 6-7-2015 by Alm]
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 03:33 PM

Loved the video, BornFisher. Very familiar.

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bledito  
not afraid to visit baja sur at all. The first time there rented a car and traveled all over, to todos, la paz, and all points between. Never felt unsafe even when lost in the barrios. The roads can be a bit scary, one laners in the mountains with blind curves. A bit nervos one time around ribera when we went down the wrong road and at the end found a ranch to ask where we were and a guy, a gringo, came around with a hunting bow arrow strung. more worried about having to pay a mordida to a cop. or get ripped off when leaving the car places. More afraid of breaking down in a isolated area, as we like to travel the unbeaten paths and isolated beaches. most people have no clue as they have never gone there. Most experiance the resorts and never venture any further. they miss out on everything baja. a resort is a resort, a pool and trucked in trees could be anywhere in the world you wouldn,t know the difference if you never left it. I like adventure and resorting is not an adventure. I have never been hassled other than the beach vendors if I am in cabo. I felt fearful when I was in the bahamas and tried to do some venturing around. mexico not at all, only a feeling of wow this is awesome.

The main reason that there has not been a great deal of violence in Baja Sur is that several of the cartel drug lords were hiding out there in the lap of luxury. The last thing they wanted to happen is gang violence anywhere near them.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.