Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Attaching images
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-13-2015 at 01:03 PM
Attaching images

To include images in your post or reply (in the forums that allow it), use either:

1) The attachment option - up to 8 attachments, each no larger than 250kb files size (and/or 1600 pixels in height or width for an image).

2) Use the button to enter the image URL of an image file at/on a third-party site.

An image URL is of the image, not the page the image is on. The file will likely end in something like .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, etc. It will not end in .html, .htm, .php, .asp, etc.

Currently, some forums do not allow #1 above (o/t and classifieds - and thus #2 is the only option there).

bn-attachimage.png - 32kB

[Edited on 6-13-2015 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Topped
6-13-2015 at 01:08 PM
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2015 at 06:36 PM

Doug, check out the message boards that Rivals.com uses. It is the best I've seen. Super mobile and media friendly.

Seems like this board is due for a much needed upgrade. It's had a good 10-15 year run.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 07:56 AM

Doug, please address the issue of those couple of Nomads who use Photobucket or other image hosting sites, but don't take the minute to set the upload size to 800 pixels or less, thus stretching the Nomad page off the screen, requiring side scrolling to read/view... on the standard size monitor.

On the first post in the Nomad Photo Gallery forum, I give a 'how to' set Photobucket tutorial: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65085

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Doug, check out the message boards that Rivals.com uses. It is the best I've seen. Super mobile and media friendly.

Seems like this board is due for a much needed upgrade. It's had a good 10-15 year run.

I agree that it would be great to update to a more user friendly software, however as we all know that takes time and money. Maybe the Nomads could set up a GoFundMe (or other similar) account to raise some money to make this happen.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 11:36 AM

Hmm is it 800 pixels wide as David says or 1600 as Doug says?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 12:57 PM

800 is pretty small. 1600 is huge.

Mine are set at 1024 and won't stretch the screen unless you have a very tiny monitor.

[Edited on 6-14-2015 by JZ]

[Edited on 6-8-2019 by BajaNomad]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 01:01 PM

800 is pretty small. 1600 is huge.

Mine are set at 1024 and won't stretch the screen unless you have a very tiny monitor.

[Edited on 6-14-2015 by JZ]

Looks great. Even on my iPhone.

[Edited on 6-8-2019 by BajaNomad]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2016 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Hmm is it 800 pixels wide as David says or 1600 as Doug says?

Both are true. You can upload an image of up to 1600 pixels but Nomads will compress it to 800 pixels and post that copy to the forum as your image. If you click on that 800 pixel image a new tab will open with just your original 1600 pixel image.

There is a reduction in quality with this additional compression which you don't get when referencing an image on another server such as what JZ did but it's a more straightforward way of uploading images.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-7-2019 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  

I agree that it would be great to update to a more user friendly software, however as we all know that takes time and money. Maybe the Nomads could set up a GoFundMe (or other similar) account to raise some money to make this happen.

There is normally software updates for forum hosting sites.
I am willing to donate the time to update the software here and photo/video uploading abilities.
I have no clue however of this hosting site so not sure if it is paid or free.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-7-2019 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  

I am willing to donate the time to update the software here and photo/video uploading abilities.

No plans to use XMB further. Has been very good from 2002 through now. I will need to migrate to another platform. Currently targeting bbpress on a more extensive Wordpress site... but am still evaluating the updates to that software (including ability to handle the traffic this site generates - at certain times), as it's not perfect either. It will allow for plugins for conveniences, and for a front-end that's mobile friendly. Have some other things ahead of that to address, but that's the intention in the not-too-distant future.

I host websites, and this forum is on its own dedicated cpanel/LAMP server.

:)

Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-7-2019 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  

No plans to use XMB further. Has been very good from 2002 through now. I will need to migrate to another platform. Currently targeting bbpress on a more extensive Wordpress site... but am still evaluating the updates to that software (including ability to handle the traffic this site generates - at certain times), as it's not perfect either. It will allow for plugins for conveniences, and for a front-end that's mobile friendly. Have some other things ahead of that to address, but that's the intention in the not-too-distant future.

I host websites, and this forum is on its own dedicated cpanel/LAMP server.

:)

Doug

Also trying to figure out an easy way to incorporate MediaWiki along with Wordpress and avoid separate logins, etc. Last I looked there were no solid options with this. I don't like the Wiki options that plugin to Wordpress, they're not as fully-featured.

Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-8-2019 at 12:53 PM

Oh ok. Gotcha. I am currently running one forum on Tapatalk and I hate it. It was migrated over from yuku and has been a pain in the ass.
However I think it would have been much easier if they they prepared for the migration instead of moving a million forums and attempted to sort it. Been a year and still daily headaches.

Good luck! :) Ugh

[Edited on 6-8-2019 by Mother of Dragons]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-15-2019 at 09:45 AM

Easy instructions to post photos, for free, on Nomad

June 2019:
To post photos from your Pictures folder on your computer...

Go to www.Postimages.org , make an album if you want to organize your photos to find them easily in the future (by date or by subject). No cost to use Postimages.org.

Change the upload setting from "Do not resize my image" to 640x480 (recommended for forums) or 800x600 (max. on Nomad). You click on the little arrow to see the size choices.

Click "Choose images" and select the photos you want to put on Nomad from your Pictures folder.

Click on the image you want on Nomad and click on "Share" at the top of the screen.

Choose "Hotlinks for forums" (down next to the last one). You can click the little box at the right end of the link and it is now saved on your mouse.

Go to Nomad and paste that link onto the place where you are typing on Nomad. You can put text in below the photo for a caption or your post and if you double space between photo links (for clarity), you can put several photos and captions in a single post on Nomad. You can click "Preview" on Nomad to check and see how it will look before posting to the board.

If you need to fix a post after it is done, click on "Edit" along the edge of your post, and change or delete your post. If you edit more than once, you can delete the previous Edited on tags so only one edit tag will appear after you edit the post.

[Edited on 11-3-2022 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-3-2022 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Easy instructions to post photos, for free, on Nomad

June 2019:
To post photos from your Pictures folder on your computer...

Go to www.Postimages.org, make an album if you want to organize your photos to find them easily in the future (by date or by subject). No cost to use Postimages.org.

Change the upload setting from "Do not resize my image" to 640x480 (recommended for forums) or 800x600 (max. on Nomad). You click on the little arrow to see the size choices.

Click "Choose images" and select the photos you want to put on Nomad from your Pictures folder.

Click on the image you want on Nomad and click on "Share" at the top of the screen.

Choose "Hotlinks for forums" (down next to the last one). You can click the little box at the right end of the link and it is now saved on your mouse.

Go to Nomad and paste that link onto the place where you are typing on Nomad. You can put text in below the photo for a caption or your post and if you double space between photo links (for clarity), you can put several photos and captions in a single post on Nomad. You can click "Preview" on Nomad to check and see how it will look before posting to the board.

If you need to fix a post after it is done, click on "Edit" along the edge of your post, and change or delete your post. If you edit more than once, you can delete the previous Edited on tags so only one edit tag will appear after you edit the post.

When I click on the www.Postimages.org I get the following message:

“Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found”

What to do?

You clicked a link with a comma on the end of it... which made it a bad link. Just fix the address in the URL, or simply use a valid link, like the one below:

https://postimages.org

[Edited on 11-3-2022 by BajaNomad]

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-4-2022 at 07:15 PM
Doug have you considered VPS as a solution?

It’s not expensive and has on-demand scalable bandwidth. Plays well with Wordpress too.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2022 at 07:35 PM

L,

Doug is planning to migrate this site off of XMB, possibly to Wordpress. BNF also runs on dedicated hardware as opposed to virtual hardware. VPS is virtual hardware. They do a lot of the scut housekeeping and maintenance that is required with real hardware for a relatively small monthly fee. The VPS bandwidth is scalable as traffic dictates and the firewall can be better. It might also include a regularly updated threat list.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2022 at 10:26 PM

L,

It isn’t just BN that has problems which are primarily social. Unfettered toxic expression used to be called “free speech” and was protected by the 1st amendment. Understanding that you can’t yell “fire” in a crowded theater or “the sky will fall unless you shut up and put us in charge”!

As I said earlier, an appeal to authority in debating is the sign of a weak position and using authority to throttle debate is even a stronger sign.

Very few “real world” problems have only one solution, especially when one group is pushing that one solution, a part of which is putting or leaving them in charge.

The US will have an election next Tuesday. I can’t say who will win. I can say that from whoever looses there will be some very loud cries of “foul”! Some of those cries will be coming from people currently damning their opponents for saying that the last election was unfair!

That those people will fail to see the dichotomy in this is a given!

Things here are just a symptom of and not the problem itself!

[Edited on 11-5-2022 by RFClark]

[Edited on 11-5-2022 by RFClark]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.