BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Towable Plane for Baja?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 09:23 AM
Towable Plane for Baja?

This is a 'kit' plane that was pulled behind a motorhome on that trailer. They pulled up next to us in the flat desert late at night, got up early, made a quick assemble, and had that little red beauty in the air before we finished breakfast. Looks like it would be very functional and a ton of fun for Baja exploring, doesn't it?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 09:34 AM

It looks like a Kitfox, an ultralight kit plane that a Friend in Alaska was going to get (don't know if he ever did). The wings rotate back along the side for travel or storage.
They are supposed to have great short and rough strip abilities.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It looks like a Kitfox, an ultralight kit plane that a Friend in Alaska was going to get (don't know if he ever did). The wings rotate back along the side for travel or storage.
They are supposed to have great short and rough strip abilities.

Yes, AKGringo, I believe it was a Fox kit plane. Had a stall speed that was so slow it seemed to hover. It could lift off very quickly and within a short distance. With tundra tires it handled rough terrain very well.

I once took a ride in a Taylorcraft in Baja. About the same specs as this kitplane...another highwing...80mph max. A camper at Playa Escondido had flown it down to Baja from Alaska...which must have been a very long flight hourwise. Nice way to take in the scenery, though.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 09:50 AM

How awesome is that?!?

I got my license in college, but haven't flown for many years. Flying Alaska made me want to do it again. Flying in Baja must be awesome too.

Pricelist available here:

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/

I would imagine these guys face some increased scrutiny at the military stops...

[Edited on 6-19-2015 by BigBearRider]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
How awesome is that?!?

I got my license in college, but haven't flown for many years. Flying Alaska made me want to do it again. Flying in Baja must be awesome too.

I would imagine these guys face some increased scrutiny at the military stops...

Nothing like flying Baja. Great times and rallies with amigos.

Naturally, you'll have to get the right permits, etc, but that's doable. Over the years I've seen a few somewhat odd flying machines being towed at those military checkpoints...a helicopter, a hovercraft, ultralights,and a deflated hot-air balloon and basket. The soldiers had a good time inspecting them..as it broke up the monotony.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 10:22 AM

Given the termite situation, I hope the Kitfox doesn't have a wooden fuselage...

I saw an ultralight advertised for sale near Puerto Penasco a while ago. Looked like fun.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 11:15 AM

Here's another 'towable' ultra light we once used on the high plains of North Dakota. We knew a highway that was straight and level with no traffic, no power lines or other obstructions. This was a hang glider that you harnessed yourself ito and attached a 1500 ft long tow cable from a free spooling winch on a towed trailer...you stood on the back of the trailer hooked into the hang glider's harness...your driver sped the whole works down the highway until the glider lifted off...and then you spun off on the winch cable up about 800 ft ..where you released the cable and soared away across the countryside. From there on you rode thermals like a turkey vulture in Baja. Can't see why this wouldn't work for your Baja vacation. Fun stuff, eh?

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 11:31 AM

That is totally awesome.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 11:37 AM

That is totally awesome.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 01:15 PM

Can't tow this one but it will haul a lot of stuff and land on a short stretch of dirt road..

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 01:22 PM

I just don't know. If you don't leave the ground you can't smack it on the way back down.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 04:25 PM

YUP 180/185s are great.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 07:31 PM

Can you or does anyone have experience flying ultralights or in the case of A Kitfox an experimental aircraft in Mexico ?
You can get away with a Sport Pilot Lic flying them in the USA but I imagine a Private Pilot Lic would be a minimum for a non citizen...... or ?
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 12:19 AM

Rode in an ultralite in San Felipe from Pete's Camp beach for my 70th birthday last year. Scared chitless. Rafael said bring camera to take pix from above. Ha! could hardly pry my fingers from the struts to dismount. I was so proud of myself for not peeing my pants. View is spectacular, though but I don't think I'll repeat it. Must have a thing for being in the air on the decade birthdays: 50- parasailing in Mazatlan, they gave me the longest ride of anyone cause I was the oldest to go up. Next day I saw tow rope break on a parasail. Note to self: glad I survived. At 60 hot air ballooning in Tahoe over lake, really awesome! Landed me on a raft in lake to drink champagne. Wonderful experience! Glad I did it before my bad hip prevented me from getting in basket. What to do at 80? Any suggestions! NO, I will NOT skydive, lol!

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 09:38 AM

Mex does not recognize the light sport category of pilot certification. Towed in or flown you still have to go to an AOE and get your multi entry authorization and show total title and insurance. And pay tons of fees.

AOE = Airport of Entry - official one. with customs and migracion on field.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 11:35 AM

The pilots of these 4 ultralight aircraft landed at the Serinadad one day after a cross country trip up from Cabo. They were young adventurers from Mexico City...off to explore Baja the old-fashioned way - by the seat of their pantaloons. Reminds me of an older time in Baja.

Note the Mexican reg. id numbers

They told me they had brought them across the SOC by ferry, so I am assuming they were on a trailer at one time. Easy to do.

What a blast!

[Edited on 6-20-2015 by Pompano]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 11:54 AM

I want to be in Arnold's Air Force!

Dave Deal made this logo for Arnold Senterfitt and his new club, The Baja Bush Pilots... back in the 60's.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
The pilots of these 4 ultralight aircraft landed at the Serinadad one day after a cross country trip up from Cabo. They were young adventurers from Mexico City...off to explore Baja the old-fashioned way - by the seat of their pantaloons. Reminds me of an older time in Baja.

Note the Mexican reg. id

They told me they had brought them across the SOC by ferry, so I am assuming they were on a trailer at one time. Easy to do n

What a blast!

Wow. How cool is that?

This gives me some really, really bad (good) ideas.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  

Note the Mexican reg. id

They told me they had brought them across the SOC by ferry, so I am assuming they were on a trailer at one time. Easy to do n

What a blast!

Wow. How cool is that?

This gives me some really, really bad (good) ideas.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 04:39 PM

Almost got checked out in a Trike years ago to fly in Baja. High incidence of crashes mostly pilot error by exceeding the glide envelope.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.