Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Exploring Summit #3
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 09:58 AM
Exploring Summit #3

Roy (the Squarecicle) and I want to move on exploring summit #3. To determine if it is passable or not.

Here is the topo maps David K posted.

Here are the three summits traced on Google Earth showing accesss from Hwy 3 at KM`108 and the direction to Cohabuso Jct.

A little closer view on GE.

The area that appears to be not passable.

Anyone wanting to join us let us know. I suggested next weekend June 27 and 28. I'm open to other dates.

Roy and I were thinking to first check out the area from the Pole Line Road end. Start at Laguna Salada Hwy 2. Drive to Cohabuzo Jct then to the bottom of summit #1 and over to the Y etc.

If indeed the road is out we can backtrack go over summit #1 or #2. The last time I was on summit #2 it was pretty rough. Summit #1, the race summit, I think would be a better route.

Anyone interested?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 10:58 AM

I hope Emerson is available... and I am interested... Exploring Baja is the best!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 09:33 AM

Tom/Roy, a family birthday is that weekend, so I am out. Take many photos. Perhaps take a copy of the Gulick photo of the Jamau canyon shack to compare with one taken this year at the same spot?

[Edited on 6-22-2015 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 06:06 PM

Wish I could join you guys.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 09:05 PM

The guy that never stops moving ... TW .. good on ya :):)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 09:08 PM

I wish I could go, too. Let us know what you find.

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 06:49 AM

Bring lots of water. It has been over 110 everyday in the last week

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 09:43 AM

Hi Tim, Roy,
Guess I will be laid up until fall. Sorry to miss the trip.
Let me know if you are missing any GPS tracks and I will dig them up for you.
FYI, I will do the trip from San Felipe with some of the Jeepers in the Dec/Jan time frame. I plan to make GPS tracks for both Summits 2 & 3. I will walk the un-drive-able part of 3 and hope to drive 2. I will need inputs from your trip.
Thanks, Paul
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 09:59 AM

No problem Mick we will have plenty of water and other refreshments.

Paul thanks and we'll let you know if we need any GPS tracks but I think we have it covered, I hope.

No input from Emerson yet.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
No problem Mick we will have plenty of water and other refreshments.

Paul thanks and we'll let you know if we need any GPS tracks but I think we have it covered, I hope.

No input from Emerson yet.

I just sent Emerson an email, in case he hadn't seen this thread. I hope you guys have fun, I will be with you in spirit!

Emerson
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 12:39 PM

Hi there, sorry for the late reply...

So whats the plan? leaving Friday or Saturday?
Can we all group and convince DavidK to join the expedition?

-Emerson
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 03:13 PM

Merely FYI, doing a little orienteering ...

On the northern part where Summit 3 "ends" (green arrow) there appears to be a foot/animal trail running south (orange arrows). From the south end, I can see pieces of a foot trail headed north. But without boots-on-ground, can't be sure.

[Edited on 6-22-2015 by StuckSucks]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 03:27 PM

Emerson, I'll talk to Roy this evening but I'm pretty sure he can leave Friday as can I. If so are you good for Friday? If not we can leave Saturday. My plan is to come down to San Diego the day before and meet Roy the next morning, probably at the gas/store parking lot before the border at Tecate. Roy lives in SD.

When I last spoke with Roy we thought we would go in at Laguna Salada to Cohabuzo Jct and on to the start of the Pole Line Road. Follow it to the Y and then over to where the road ends. See green arrow above. Then walk that part to where a road starts again, or drive it if the trails is OK, if not retreat and cross over the race summit #1 and go around and follow the trail for summit #3 to see how the road is.

Nice work StuckSucks.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Then walk that part to where a road starts again, or drive it if the trails is OK

I just measured the distance, following an apparent route, and it's around .7 mile.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Emerson  
Hi there, sorry for the late reply...

So whats the plan? leaving Friday or Saturday?
Can we all group and convince DavidK to join the expedition?

-Emerson

Thanks Emerson... I am looking forward to meeting and four wheeling with you and your other amigos from Mexicali someday! This next weekend is a birthday event in the family here in San Diego. I do have 3 Baja trips planned in July, however...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 10:17 AM

I talked to Roy last night and we are good to go either Friday or Saturday. I'll start loading up today.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 04:34 PM

You guys have a great expedition... take mucho photos please... road forks, road ends, trails, shacks... thanks!

I hope Emerson connects with you guys, too!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 08:46 PM

As of this evening I have not heard from him on what days he wants to go. Roy and I are good for Friday or Saturday.

I have to take my cat to the vet on Tuesday. So far in the last month I've spent $900 on the cat at the vet. He has baby blue eyes like old Blue Eyes, Frank.
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 10:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Wish I could join you guys. [/rquot Greetings, ehall Just throw some gear into your cage and do it and stop wishing about it!! >>>>> I don't know what you are driving but if it is not air conditioned that could be a limiting factor. Could be very hot out there. >>>> Waiting to hear from "emerson" on what day >>Saturday or Sunday. >>>>> Best, sq.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2015 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by The squarecircle  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Wish I could join you guys.
Greetings, ehall Just throw some gear into your cage and do it and stop wishing about it!! >>>>> I don't know what you are driving but if it is not air conditioned that could be a limiting factor. Could be very hot out there. >>>> Waiting to hear from "emerson" on what day >>Saturday or Sunday. >>>>> Best, sq.

Ed has a VERY capable Jeep Rubicon... here it is on the Pole Line Road run:

Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.