basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2015 at 07:24 PM

Thanks for sharing! One of my favorite places :bounce:
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2015 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
looks like a pretty place. Anyone ever tell you guys its unlawful to drive on the beach. But then I guess most of Mexico (and its Gringo guests) ignores the law.

Do these guys look like Gringo’s?

With all due respect. You are adding nothing but negative energy to this post. Please find a better way to spend your time. Better yet, just in case you haven’t read the subject line “Not for Shell Island Haters”, find a different post. I am sure you follow and abide by all the laws in Mexico when you are in Baja. But we’ll never know.
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2015 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hayb  

With all due respect. You are adding nothing but negative energy to this post.

just ignore grumpy gramps. A proctologist could work miracles, but whatcha gonna do?
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 07:11 AM

Ignoring the law show no respect. Respect for the country you are in and its people. And then there are others, well just shows what happens when in-breeding occurs.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2015 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Ignoring the law show no respect. Respect for the country you are in and its people. And then there are others, well just shows what happens when in-breeding occurs.

Maybe.

Ignoring the law is entirely cultural..... maybe they are doing it out of respect for the culture and just trying to fit in estilo Mexicano.

Well, a sure way to get someone to listen to you is to put them down.

Peace

Interesting concept. and , no they still don't listen, but I get your point.
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2015 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

So, I guess the moral of the story is, if you do drive on the beach, do it slow, don't be an ass, pick up yours and somebody else's trash and enjoy it while you can.....

Peace

Soulpatch, Very nice choice of words and totally agree with what you wrote. My group especially agree with this paragraph. Thanks for your wisdom.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 10:19 AM

I knew I could rely on you to recommend people break the law.

I kinda feel like breaking the law this weekend. I've driven up and down that highway a few times but I've never noticed the turnoff. I've read it's at km 26? Is it marked in any way? My odometer is off on my truck so I can get close by the odo but not spot-on.

Apologies for the thread resurrection.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It's an island, not a beach... lol. A joke, but not good enough for you?

Mexican fishermen also drive it to launch boats and set nets, so it isn't just a gringo deal. Does that make any difference?

Driving on the beach didn't kill that whale. Do you care? Would you see the whale or the beach if we didn't drive on sand to get there?

Thank goodness people like hayb and deanfootlong continue to share so we all can see more of Baja, despite the potential harassment by the holy-than-thou Nomads.

Speaking of laws, do you obey the 80 KPH speed limit on miles of endless deserted highway?

Relax, live, share, peace, love, and fish tacos!

David,

Really???? :

"despite the potential harassment by the holy-than-thou Nomads."

I think pointing out laws is kinda like pointing out spelling errors...:light:

You are sounding like a "hater"...

Don't believe everything you think....
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 12:09 PM

Maybe I've resurrected a can of worms, but really am/was just hoping for a tip on that turn-off :) Peace love and tacos - good plan.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
I knew I could rely on you to recommend people break the law.

I kinda feel like breaking the law this weekend. I've driven up and down that highway a few times but I've never noticed the turnoff. I've read it's at km 26? Is it marked in any way? My odometer is off on my truck so I can get close by the odo but not spot-on.

Apologies for the thread resurrection.

Funny what bumping an 8 month old post can do?
Ged, I was responding to Norte on behalf of those here who share. Sorry, you missed that.

Wide, the access road is at the Km 26 marker... about 50 yards south of it. There are a pair of cinder block columns the road is between. You can also get there from Percebu or Bahia Santa Maria using the dune buggy road on the salt flats that parallels the coast. Avoid high lunar tides... it is an island, after all!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 01:48 PM

Ged, I was responding to Norte on behalf of those here who share. Sorry, you missed that.

Meow meow, David,
Not sure what you mean by your snide comment...I share a lot on BN....jokes, a conscience, ride reports, thoughtful comments, and the occasional challenge to how some people think....

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 02:29 PM

No Ged, I am saying that YOU are one of the great Nomads tgat share. Norte was slamming a Nomad who posted great photos because there was some beach driving seen. It is that kind of stuff that keeps people from sharing here.

This was old news, so just wondering why now and not last Spring or why you took it personally as it was to Norte. So, have a nice day amigo, no worries okay?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hayb  
looks like a pretty place. Anyone ever tell you guys its unlawful to drive on the beach. But then I guess most of Mexico (and its Gringo guests) ignores the law.

You are adding nothing but negative energy to this post. Please find a better way to spend your time. Better yet, just in case you haven’t read the subject line “Not for Shell Island Haters”, find a different post. I am sure you follow and abide by all the laws in Mexico when you are in Baja. But we’ll never know.

Who's spreading negative energy? This post started with negative energy: Not for Shell Island Haters? And you want to add a lecture too?

Fun photos. Thanks for posting. Seriously.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 05:41 PM

Thanks for sharing! One of my favorite places! :bounce::bounce:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 10:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Meow meow, David,
Not sure what you mean by your snide comment...I share a lot on BN....jokes, a conscience, ride reports, thoughtful comments, and the occasional challenge to how some people think....

Aw, Ged........ it's now obvious most of your Baja experience is on your Moto..... you don't fish much. Suckers ain't that good of a catch. You should spend more time going for a quarry that's up to your true tastes. You're going to be confused with a 'troller', which is in its own right a good form of fishing, but look towards better a better tasting plate-full. Current catch is easy to bait, but REALLY hard to swallow. :yes:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 2-28-2016 at 06:57 PM

Great time, thanks for the photos

bacquito
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 09:17 AM

Found it, was totally accessible, and a lovely afternoon on an empty stretch. Details and pics to come in my own trip report.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 10:27 AM

Maybe I'm late to the party but who hates Shell Island? (and why?)

In fact, I'm not even sure exactly where it is other than on the SOC, based on the photos. Out of curiosity I tried a search via google maps and came up empty. Anybody have a good map link?

[Edited on 3-11-2016 by BajaGringo]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 10:48 AM

DK will be along soon. I don't get the hate thing either.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Maybe I'm late to the party but who hates Shell Island? (and why?)

In fact, I'm not even sure exact;y where it is other than on the SOC, based on the photos. Out of curiosity I tried a search via google maps and came up empty. Anybody have a good map link?

Not sure if you are kidding? :lol:

"Shell Island" is my name for the barrier island sand beach and dunes between Percebú and Bahía Santa María the past 40 years. During the highest lunar tides, it is indeed surrounded by water and shown that way on maps dating back 30 years or more... so yes, it is an island! I first camped on it in 1978 after having walked across the lagoon tom it at low tide from Bahía Santa María for a couple years to collect shells.

An access road was installed from the new highway in 1985 at Km. 26, along with an elevated causeway across the mud flat and a concrete bridge to access the island/ beach even at high tide. That causeway has since eroded lower than the bridge, making it useless.

Pilot's Map showing the island, 1970s.

National Geographic map showing the island, 2008.

My first map showing an access road onto the island, 1978.

Modern Google Earth Maps:

The bridge at high tide (very much an island):

That is the former causeway across the mud flat and road out to Km. 26.

Oh, and the Moon Baja guidebooks recognize the name now, too... See Estero Percebú >>>

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.