BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Crackdown on SD plates?
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 06:54 AM
Crackdown on SD plates?

Just heard from a friend in La Paz that Mexico is going to start cracking down on South Dakota plates and require that your DL must match the plate. Not sure why Mexico is interested in enforcing US laws. Just wondering if anyone else has any more info on this.

In Memory of E-57
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 08:14 AM

I doubt that Mexico or the Policia Federale are concerned about the plates matching the drivers liscence. Given the experiences I have had in La Paz, it sounds like local police trying to add a new twist on extortion.

If anybody knows differently, please speak up! I have residences in AK (my official residence) and in CA. I have vehicles with AK plates in CA, and drive one with CA plates to Mexico. So far it has not been a problem in either the US or Mexico.

Edit; My DL is AK, and all vehicles are registered to me with an address in the state of the plates on it.

[Edited on 6-28-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 08:19 AM

I have been stopped in Kalifornia and Colorado no problem....The address on my SD registration matches my Colorado DL....The speeding tickets were a different issue....

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 08:23 AM
Crackdown

Maybe they should be cracking down on all of the cars without plates or expired US plates
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 08:32 AM

I should have mentioned I also was stopped in Tecate...But he was only interested in the Mordida....which he didn't get

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Maybe they should be cracking down on all of the cars without plates or expired US plates

Like eradicating ants at a picnic.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 08:49 AM

One year the outgoing governor in La Paz took all the Sur Mexican license plate money when he left. They usually buy the plates from China. What a mess for 2 years >> paper plates after a few months. If you had metal plates, they would pull you over. So it was a strange time when you get nailed for having metal plates. I think the money was about 300K dollars.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 09:06 AM

I lot about what has been and nothing about a crack down. That being said I have heard rumors, only rumors, that there will be crackdown on Mexican citizens (and possibly perm residents) with Mexican DL driving US plated cars. Already under way in Tijuana.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 09:17 AM

Law enforcement today will be but a memory tomorrow....perhaps one of the benefits of the mordida system. If fine pesos reached the government, they would see the advantage of law enforcement and call for more.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Warf
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 09:53 AM
License plates in La paz

Twice last week we saw La Paz Municipal Police removing license plates from cars. One was from a parked car in a parking lot, the other was pulled over by police on a city street. I think that they are on a campaign to get all vehicles properly licensed...it's probably all about city revenues?

La Pazadise
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 09:57 AM

What if it were actually about law enforcement!!!!????

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 10:32 AM

Found this
http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/06/driving-legally-in-me...

Perhaps this is what was happening and he assumed it was only related to SD plates

In Memory of E-57
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Found this
http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/06/driving-legally-in-me...

Perhaps this is what was happening and he assumed it was only related to SD plates

I wonder how much of this is correct, or relates to Baja. For example:

1) "Remember that proof of liability insurance continues to be required to drive on Mexican Federal Highways."

Must be one of those things that are "demanded" by police rather than "required under the law".

2) "Two civil associations provide a “plate”, sticker and ID documents in return to a certain payment, said plate and sticker are not recognized as legal by Federal highway patrol or municipal police"

AFAIK, plates by ONAPAFFA (and the other organization) are not "loved" by police, but recognized. Wouldn't make sense issuing it, otherwise.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 02:24 PM

Plus the vehicles that have NO plates on them.

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 03:04 PM

plus all the quads with no plates used like cars to get around town
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 04:04 PM

periodically there is a crackdown. http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2014/aug/04/stringers-tij...
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 11:57 AM

Sandiegoreader is to be taken with a good grain of salt. Too much of half-baked journalism. Truth and relevant facts are entwined with misleading and irrelevant info.

Like this:
Article 3.4.7 of Mexican border law states that “as long as vehicles are owned by residents from a foreign country, they can be driven around in national territory limited to 20 kilometers from the border and the border region, as long as they have all the proper documentation.”

Meaning - no driving US/CAN plated car South of Rosarito/Maneadero. No soup for you! :)
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Sandiegoreader is to be taken with a good grain of salt. Too much of half-baked journalism. Truth and relevant facts are entwined with misleading and irrelevant info.

Yeah a grain of salt with some tequila. Isn't the article from the Yucatan? Isn't TJ TJ? It's all a ruse to make it look like cops are working. In reality, cops are bored and looking for something to do. When cops in la paz need money, they start targeting tourists. Same in CC. Nothing new happening and this stuff keeps coming around.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 03:56 PM

With regard to US citizens that are not residents of South Dakota that also have Residente Permanente status in the Baja Peninsula and are driving their South Dakota registered vehicle in, say, La Paz and have no Mexican drivers license, well, there is a strong argument that Mexico could certainly consider such practice as not actually allowed pursuant to current Mexican law.

The problem was created when Mexican immigration started changing residency statuses from the FM3 to the RP. The reason that it created a problem is because the Mexican immigration agency did those residency changes without first coordinating with the Aduana. The current legal references in the law regarding Aduana regulations are still using old immigration status terminology (i.e., FM2 and FM3 and not the current Residente Permanente). Since the definitions of FM2 and FM3 are not the exact same as "Residente Permanente", there is now ambiguity, not clear cut do's and don'ts.

In my research on this matter when the issue first surfaced (i.e., when FM2 and FM3 were abandoned and Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente became the law of the land), it is my conclusion that the Mexican government can indeed require RPs to nationalize their SD plated US registered vehicle while driving it in Baja. That is another way of saying that I believe that the Mexican government can now (and has always had the ability to) stop you and prohibit you from driving your SD registered vehicle if you are an RP.

Now, that's theory, and here is "on the ground" tangible practical and relevant reality. Certainly, up to now, there has been virtually no such practice of enforcement in the Baja. We have heard of such enforcement in Mainland Mexico. We have also heard of a few "close calls" reported having occurred in Baja, but not ever corroborated. There have been no verifiable reports of any such enforcement...in the Baja. I haven't read anything in this forum by any RP of first hand experience of being held accountable for driving a SD licensed vehicle in the Baja by local or federal police. Certainly there has been no credible visibility of any such enforcement.

It is sort of like hearing there is an epidemic of a disease that has no symptoms and no reported cases.

I believe that the reason for such lack of enforcement is due to the fact that the entire Baja is "free zone" territory. An entirely different situation from what exists in Mainland Mexico. I believe that government in Baja sees such enforcement as probably an administrative nightmare, not to mention trying to anticipate political and economic negative repercussions.

But, and this is a big but, I will keep my ear to the ground on this one. Anything can change at any time in Baja. I believe that the Mexican government has had the legal ability all along to enforce the prohibition of a US Citizen, who is also an RP, from driving his SD plated US vehicle in the Baja. They just haven't decided to enforce the prohibition...yet.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
I believe that the Mexican government can now (and has always had the ability to) stop you and prohibit you from driving your SD registered vehicle if you are an RP.

This has been my understanding too. This pertains to any foreign plates, not only SD. RP has to import his car, period. Those driving with SD plates without SD driver's license are just breaking more than one law. Enforcement seems to be sporadic - they do it when they feel like.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.