BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Crackdown on SD plates?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 06:20 PM

Here's the question, Alm. In your post, you stated that, "Enforcement seems to be sporadic." Do you have specific knowledge of such enforcement? Details, please, and remember, we are talking about the entirety of the Baja, not mainland Mexico.

Thank you in advance.
Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
With regard to US citizens that are not residents of South Dakota that also have Residente Permanente status in the Baja Peninsula and are driving their South Dakota registered vehicle in, say, La Paz and have no Mexican drivers license, well, there is a strong argument that Mexico could certainly consider such practice as not actually allowed pursuant to current Mexican law.

Not nearly that complicated:

With an FM2 or FM3 you were allowed to drive a non-Mexican plated vehicle under a Temporary Import Permit. If you become a permanent resident you can no longer do that.

I'd guess it's a pretty good bet that sometime in the near future you'll hear the first story of a RP losing their US/CAN plated car because of this.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 06:59 AM

Wally, am I correct in interpreting your post as implying that a Residente Permanente CAN currently get a Temporary Import Permit for a SD plated vehicle? And, do you have first hand knowledge of this?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 07:41 AM

There are a number of importers that are placing leading ads promoting the idea that you should import your car due to impending changes for example on bajainsider, yet, there have been no changes for Baja for PR to TR in regards to foreign plates of legal vehicles. People repeat the content of the promotions that look like news stories.

In Baja, if your vehicle has legal up to date plates, registration sticker and insurance and your license is up to date you are legal with tourist permit, TR or PR visa.

A TIP is required for foreign vehicles on the mainland outside the free zone at this time.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 08:33 AM

Like so many other posts on this forum, this one too has gone so far off the reservation as to be unrecognizable.

Permanent Residency wasn't part of the equation as originally stated. However the lack of direct responses actually answered my question.

"Does your driver license have to be issued by the same state as your vehicle license?" and "is there a current inspection program to enforce this position?"

With the abundance of SD plates running around La Paz by non-SD residents it would have surfaced on many other boards by now if this was in fact a new issue. With the lack of direct responses it is obvious to me that my source was mistaken.

In Memory of E-57
maryellen50
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 09:52 AM

I live in the Punta Banda/Ensenada area and there are many SD plates here (including mine) and not heard anyone who has had a problem with this. Perhaps this is an isolated event specific to Tecate.
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 03:56 PM

Two years in Baja with SD plates. Never a problem. Never even stopped. Probably much ado about nothing. Worry mongers rule the day I guess.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 04:09 PM
Lets put an end to this speculaton

Who knows what tomorrow brings but in the present and in the past, does anyone have first hand experience in being pulled over in Baja and being hassled with having a foreign plated car and a Residente Permanente?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 04:20 PM

I think (operative word) the answer to that is NO.....lots of speculation always NEVER any real fact with names dates etc.....

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Like so many other posts on this forum, this one too has gone so far off the reservation as to be unrecognizable.

Permanent Residency wasn't part of the equation as originally stated. However the lack of direct responses actually answered my question.

"Does your driver license have to be issued by the same state as your vehicle license?" and "is there a current inspection program to enforce this position?"

With the abundance of SD plates running around La Paz by non-SD residents it would have surfaced on many other boards by now if this was in fact a new issue. With the lack of direct responses it is obvious to me that my source was mistaken.

What did you expect from Nomads Alan?

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 08:41 PM

Just heard from a friend in La Paz that Mexico is going to start cracking down on South Dakota plates and require that your DL must match the plate. Not sure why Mexico is interested in enforcing US laws. Just wondering if anyone else has any more info on this.

I have worked and lived in many states Most specify plates and DL match. Why would you expect Mexico to be Different. If it worries you that much get legal why create stress for yourself.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
Just heard from a friend in La Paz that Mexico is going to start cracking down on South Dakota plates and require that your DL must match the plate. Not sure why Mexico is interested in enforcing US laws. Just wondering if anyone else has any more info on this.

I have worked and lived in many states Most specify plates and DL match. Why would you expect Mexico to be Different. If it worries you that much get legal why create stress for yourself.

X2...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 09:16 PM

I have vehicles registered in Alaska and California......that is not only legal, it is required based on where they are primarily garaged.

What is illegal, is to have a drivers licence in both states!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 08:23 AM

Over 1700 views and 32 posts to this thread and not a single post or report with first hand information of any actual instances of enforcement by any state, local, or federal Mexican police prohibiting or interdicting any US citizen who is a Residente Permanente who has a current valid USA state drivers license from driving his current and properly insured USA plated and registered vehicle in the Baja.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 08:33 AM

It's a bit more complicated than that for some folks. Just the way it is with some US laws.

Like Mitchman said, lots of posts, even more views, and no first hand information on anything happening in Baja. Think I'll relax and enjoy the ride. Thanks.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 09:12 AM

That's my point and as Willie said "Much ado about nothing."
At least for now.

Now, on a similar subject, does anyone have FIRST HAND knowledge about :

Being able to take the ferry from La Paz to the mainland with a current USA plated car and a Residente Permanente? Can it be done?

George Bernard Shaw

Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
Wally, am I correct in interpreting your post as implying that a Residente Permanente CAN currently get a Temporary Import Permit for a SD plated vehicle? And, do you have first hand knowledge of this?

No, the exact opposite. Permanent residents can not have a temporary import permit attached the their visa for a foreign plated vehicle. Historically, they were automatic with FMM, FM3 and FM2 visas and continue with whatever they call those visas now.

I've never heard of someone loosing their foreign plated car as a resident. obviously it seems like they aren't enforcing it or someone would have heard about it. The reality is this is all pretty new stuff. Who knows how it plays out. It'll be a reall chitstorm if it ever does happen.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 11:31 AM

I tried to jump through CA's hoops as long as I could. I purchased a Jeep Wrangler, had it smog checked and insured by a CA company then also purchased a MX annual insurance policy and towed it down to La Paz. Two years later when the emissions test was due again I went to the DMV to renew my registration. I explained the vehicle was in La Paz and requested an exemption for the emissions test as it was out of the country. They advised me that vehicles in MX are not exempt. I had a copy of the Vehicle Code which clearly stated that only the cities of Tijuana, Ensenada and Tecate were not exempt as they were close enough to the border that it could reasonably be expected that these vehicles would return to CA fairly frequently and could easily obtain an emissions test. I showed my electric bill from La Paz and she gave me my tags.

Because I was now operating on an exemption I was required to to renew the exemption every year. The next year when I went back to the DMV I went through the whole process once again and she said "Oh, I don't know. I'll give you your tags and let Sacramento figure it out".

The final year I went to the DMV I went through the whole process again and the clerk said "I don't care what the Vehicle Code says, I'm not giving you tags!" I walked out disgusted and went home and called SD who I found to be polite, professional and helpful.

I agree that most states require DL and plates to match. Thankfully SD is not one of those states so it probably isn't an issue for me since the address on my SD registration matches the address on my DL. My plates are perfectly legal in SD.

In Memory of E-57
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 01:40 PM

Alan, it's just another case of California shooting themselves in the foot. They never stop amazing me with the bureaucratic BS of the left hand having no idea what the right hand is doing. I use to laugh about breaking the state in 2 or 3 different states but not so sure it is a bad idea anymore. Wait a minute, that would bring even more politicians and decision makers into the picture. Never mind the thought!

I guess got off subject, sorry.

George Bernard Shaw

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 01:56 PM

:lol::lol:

I tried to jump through CA's hoops as long as I could. I purchased a Jeep Wrangler, had it smog checked and insured by a CA company then also purchased a MX annual insurance policy and towed it down to La Paz. Two years later when the emissions test was due again I went to the DMV to renew my registration. I explained the vehicle was in La Paz and requested an exemption for the emissions test as it was out of the country. They advised me that vehicles in MX are not exempt. I had a copy of the Vehicle Code which clearly stated that only the cities of Tijuana, Ensenada and Tecate were not exempt as they were close enough to the border that it could reasonably be expected that these vehicles would return to CA fairly frequently and could easily obtain an emissions test. I showed my electric bill from La Paz and she gave me my tags.

Because I was now operating on an exemption I was required to to renew the exemption every year. The next year when I went back to the DMV I went through the whole process once again and she said "Oh, I don't know. I'll give you your tags and let Sacramento figure it out".

The final year I went to the DMV I went through the whole process again and the clerk said "I don't care what the Vehicle Code says, I'm not giving you tags!" I walked out disgusted and went home and called SD who I found to be polite, professional and helpful.

I agree that most states require DL and plates to match. Thankfully SD is not one of those states so it probably isn't an issue for me since the address on my SD registration matches the address on my DL. My plates are perfectly legal in SD.

I live in Ensenada and went through that same dance with Ca. DMV I had copy's of law in hand and was told it couldn't be done For the last 6 years my renewal arrives by snail mail about the time its due. We figured that obstacle out and just renew on line before its due. We did over come the DMV
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.