BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Crackdown on SD plates?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 02:06 PM

I got my notice for renewal from SD on Monday.....renewed online today, got a nice email from the Clay County treasurer confirming it and asking about our wheat crop this year..Real people....FYI: Wheat crop is good,:D be done cutting by Monday.....

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I got my notice for renewal from SD on Monday.....renewed online today, got a nice email from the Clay County treasurer confirming it and asking about our wheat crop this year..Real people....FYI: Wheat crop is good,:D be done cutting by Monday.....

Must have been Rhonda, real nice gal!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  

Must have been Rhonda, real nice gal!

x2

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 11:37 PM

I have been kinda stopped at a checkpoint near lapaz for this issue, it is a full time checkpoint. and i go through it every 2 weeks and only one time in a year. This is a checkpoint that has military, federal and LaPaz police at it. I figure they do this to try to stop the cartel from having all the people in one spot on the payoff. One of the Federal police officers english was good and he actually requested my drivers license. Did give it to him and he said my Nevada drivers license was a problem with a Montana plate. He said he lived in the US and knew it was. I told him directly he was wrong it is legal, which it is. He let me pass after that. Haven't heard of anyone being extorted at this checkpoint and it is run 24/7/365 since hurricane Odile.. In the USA when I get pulled over I do need to give the explanation that the the vehicle is a majority in Mexico, and thus I can claim any state. Never been ticketed in the USA for this issue, and generally when up north I get California insurance with my Nevada drivers license and Montana plates. I just make sure I do not stay in California for 30 days straight can be an issue, specially if you work for the days..

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 11:41 PM
Calfornia, "The Motherland"

Your paper's Pleeez !!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 08:39 AM
This is directly from the Calif. DMV website

Do I Need to Register My Vehicle?

A vehicle must be registered in California if it is based in California or is primarily used on California highways (located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than any other individual state during the registration period), even if registered to a nonresident owner (CVC §4000.4).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

When Do I Have to Pay Fees to Register My Nonresident Vehicle?

Registration fees for your nonresident vehicle must be paid to DMV within 20 days of the date they become due. The date that registration fees become due varies. For date fees due, residency, and exemption information, see the How To: Determine Residency/When Are Fees Dueon an Out-of-State Vehicles (HTVR 33) brochure available at www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures /howto/htvr33.htm.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

In Baja, if your vehicle has legal up to date plates, registration sticker and insurance and your license is up to date you are legal with tourist permit, TR or PR visa.

It's called "not enforced". Not the same as "legal".

On the mainland tourists are enforced automatically through the TIP procedure. RP are flagged at the border and asked to import, but there is no follow up, and there are only occasional checks on the roads. In Baja the don't care.

Insurance in Baja has no effect on your vehicle's legality, it's not mandatory here.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

In Baja, if your vehicle has legal up to date plates, registration sticker and insurance and your license is up to date you are legal with tourist permit, TR or PR visa.

It's called "not enforced". Not the same as "legal".

On the mainland tourists are enforced automatically through the TIP procedure. RP are flagged at the border and asked to import, but there is no follow up, and there are only occasional checks on the roads. In Baja the don't care.

Insurance in Baja has no effect on your vehicle's legality, it's not mandatory here.

The law is different for Baja "frontier" than for mainland Mexico. There is no restriction on people driving USA plated cars with RP. If and when the law changes formally you will know, you will given the option to return your vehicle to USA or import if required, or the law could become even more liberal to allow more transit across the border.
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 09:43 PM

How about if you live in Mexico get a Mexico DL and REG your car in MEX……….Really thats what we ask of people who move here why not do the same. This entire SD REG just seems like a way to cheat the system

Derek
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yellowklr  
How about if you live in Mexico get a Mexico DL and REG your car in MEX……….Really thats what we ask of people who move here why not do the same. This entire SD REG just seems like a way to cheat the system

Please define ''live in Mexico?'' For the sake of discussion, and your comment, I'd define that as full time 12 months a year.

How about those part-timers -- who live there less than full time? Where do you draw the line?

I'm guessing SD registration has to do with short and long term plans in MX, and the rigid DMV laws in California, COlorado and other states. SD is a God-send for those snow-birds and part-timers who like traveling around.

No matter how long I live in Baja, I will never, ever have a checking account (or any kind of account where MX has control of my money), or a vehicle registered there.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 09:27 AM

AMEN To that! Never and Never!

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 12:25 PM

.... This entire SD REG just seems like a way to cheat the system

Yep, that's what it's about....:smug:

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2015 at 01:35 PM

NaH! Cheating the system is paying with Canadian money....(eh)

yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 06:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Please define ''live in Mexico?'' For the sake of discussion, and your comment, I'd define that as full time 12 months a year.

How about those part-timers -- who live there less than full time? Where do you draw the line?

I'm guessing SD registration has to do with short and long term plans in MX, and the rigid DMV laws in California, COlorado and other states. SD is a God-send for those snow-birds and part-timers who like traveling around.

No matter how long I live in Baja, I will never, ever have a checking account (or any kind of account where MX has control of my money), or a vehicle registered there.

WELL first tons of FULL timers have SD plates all over Baja….Second if you live "part time" in Baja then if you live the other "part time" in SD then I can see SD plates……I haven't met anyone yet in Baja that lives AT ALL in SD….Just getting tired of people cheating the System thats all. If you want to be a Baja resident then be a Baja resident

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by yellowklr]

Derek
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 07:14 AM

When California mandates that you have to get a smog check and buy auto insurance that covers you for driving on California streets while only having the vehicle in Baja all year round, I consider getting SD plates as avoiding being cheated by California.

Also, if you have a Baja home via a fideicomiso and want to keep that home for vacationing on an ongoing basis, but Mexico only gives you three choices as a vacationing property owner: 1)Residente Temporal status for only 4 years, 2)Residente Permanente where you are technically required to live in Baja and must be there for more than 6 months a year, 3)FMM status as a visitor only for 180 days and without the level of legal residency sufficient in Mexico to be able to defend your rights to your fideicomiso property or to actually leave any of your property behind in Mexico after the 180 days are up. I say those circumstances are rather unfair, not well thought out, and rather untenable, especially since the Mexican immigration did not consult other Mexican agencies governing property ownership to coordinate their most recent immigration status changes to make sure that the ramifications of those changes conformed to the processes, logic and purview of other existing statutes relating to the areas tended to by the other agencies.

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by MitchMan]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 07:16 AM

Just getting tired of people cheating the System thats all. If you want to be a Baja resident then be a Baja resident

I bet more people would comply if the importation process was made to be less onerous.

Has anybody done that? I'm curious, did it take more than one day while you waited in a border hotel to complete the process and how much did it cost?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
When California mandates that you have to get a smog check and buy auto insurance that covers you for driving on California streets while only having the vehicle in Baja all year round, I consider getting SD plates as avoiding being cheated by California.

Also, if you have a Baja home via a fideicomiso and want to keep that home for vacationing on an ongoing basis, but Mexico only gives you three choices as a vacationing property owner: 1)Residente Temporal status for only 4 years, 2)Residente Permanente where you are technically required to live in Baja and must be there for more than 6 months a year, 3)FMM status as a visitor only for 180 days and without the level of legal residency sufficient in Mexico to be able to defend your rights to your fideicomiso property or to actually leave any of your property behind in Mexico after the 180 days are up. I say those circumstances are rather unfair, not well thought out, and rather untenable, especially since the Mexican immigration did not consult other Mexican agencies governing property ownership to coordinate their most recent immigration status changes to make sure that the ramifications of those changes conformed to the processes, logic and purview of other existing statutes relating to the areas tended to by the other agencies.

CA DMV has exemptions for smog and insurance for vehicles in Baja for every region except border towns, its right in the DMV code and forms/computers default to no smog or ins if you car is registered to your Baja home.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
gnukid
CA DMV has exemptions for smog and insurance for vehicles in Baja for every region except border towns, its right in the DMV code and forms/computers default to no smog or ins if you car is registered to your Baja home.

Last time I check with the on point DMV published material relating to this issue, they did in fact have an expressly written provision for accepting a Mexican policy as sufficient so long as the policy was written for a Mexican resident (RP status being sufficient) that had the words printed on the policy that stated that the policy was for a Mexican resident (I have hear that such policies are more expensive than tourist policies for the same coverage) and the DMV did say that Vehicles that are permanently beyond 1,000 miles south of the US border do no have to get Smogged. But, Most all of Baja is less than 1000 miles from the border, including La Paz.

Such info was/is not readily available and many DMV employees do not know of such DMV policies themselves, especially at AAA. As a result of such ignorance, many of those employees simply do not honor them in practice. In my case, when I read the 1000 mile requirement, it technically nullified any practical ability to register in California anyway.

However, over the last 2 years I have heard that the CA DMV in certain instances has not strictly enforced the 1000 mile limit, so, with some effort expended in finding a semi-knowledgeable DMV employee, one could have their Calif registered vehicle permanently in Baja without having to get either Calif ins coverage or a smog check. At any rate, I do not see how there is any benefit or detriment to California for my having SD plates since the vehicle is always in Baja, not driven on any California streets, not using any material Calif resources of any kind.

All that being said, if I had to do it all again today, I would register a newly acquired vehicle in California instead of SD because I, with some effort, I would be able to avoid the smog check and calif ins coverage...but, only by putting out the effort to find a knowledgeable DMV office...every year. Also, it simplifies things if I should ever have to drive that vehicle back to California with regard to driving an SD plated Vehicle on Calif streets by a driver (me) that has only a Calif drivers license).

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 09:59 AM

I never have seen a 1000 mile limit in writing and in fact the counties of Baja that are not smog exempt (e.g TJ, Tecate) are noted in the DMV manual and all others are valid, which is odd since many of the border towns on the USA side are smog exempt such as imperial city (i think). In fact most of CA geographically is smog exempt, just not the high population centers. So CA cars in any rural area are generally exempt-it's all noted in the manual by zip code, the problem is that Baja zip codes sometimes conflict with USA codes, which theoretically should be impossible but it is not-so while you are registered in Baja it appears to be Maine or whatever in the computer.

It is true that DMV employees are not knowledgeable on average so they require education at times with reference to the manual and pages, having done this they created a new technical bulletin and even a new form just for this purpose, since there are many many people who are California residents who have second homes in Baja and other countries.

I use AAA and found if you enter the Baja garage address for your vehicle on record it will automatically update and not require smog, ins nor US hi way taxes. This is correct and lawful.

In the big picture, people have the right to have more than one home, be permanent residents of multiple countries and are free to travel unmolested.

The real issue in Baja is vehicles with no plates, driven by people with dark tinted windows, no license and no insurance, and no seat belt that is where the attention is now. There were inspection sites to address this issue in La Paz, BCS yesterday.
http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/realizan-retenes-en-la-paz-para-de...

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by gnukid]
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Just getting tired of people cheating the System thats all. If you want to be a Baja resident then be a Baja resident

I bet more people would comply if the importation process was made to be less onerous.

Has anybody done that? I'm curious, did it take more than one day while you waited in a border hotel to complete the process and how much did it cost?

I have some links posted here on the subject. It is actually from what I remember costly and hard them to every get it plated in the USA again. You have to get a document now in the USA that informs the government (easily done) that it is not a USA car so reversing is probably even more costly.

Also one thing i remember people complaining about they turn over their car to the broker I believe on USA side and it has to be completely empty. And it is only a day or two for the process. Obviously older car cheaper and newer more expensive, starting at about $1,000 and up to big money for newer. But then if you wanted to bring things down you have to get insurance for usa and cross the border. Which day insurance can be purchased while you are in line to enter the USA.

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t557-nationalize-a-car-disc...

Also I use to have a mexican drivers license, it is not expensive maybe USD$30.00 and only lasts a few years, maybe 2. And sometimes it takes a few trips to the DMV because they run out of the printing equipment consumables all the time. They tell you 3 days you come back and then a week and again they say maybe another week. So if you do not live near the DMV like me down here it can be quite a process every 2 or so years.

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.