BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Crackdown on SD plates?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by laventana  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by yellowklr  

Just getting tired of people cheating the System thats all. If you want to be a Baja resident then be a Baja resident

I bet more people would comply if the importation process was made to be less onerous.

Has anybody done that? I'm curious, did it take more than one day while you waited in a border hotel to complete the process and how much did it cost?

I have some links posted here on the subject. It is actually from what I remember costly and hard them to every get it plated in the USA again. You have to get a document now in the USA that informs the government (easily done) that it is not a USA car so reversing is probably even more costly.

Also one thing i remember people complaining about they turn over their car to the broker I believe on USA side and it has to be completely empty. And it is only a day or two for the process. Obviously older car cheaper and newer more expensive, starting at about $1,000 and up to big money for newer. But then if you wanted to bring things down you have to get insurance for usa and cross the border. Which day insurance can be purchased while you are in line to enter the USA.

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t557-nationalize-a-car-disc...

Also I use to have a mexican drivers license, it is not expensive maybe USD$30.00 and only lasts a few years, maybe 2. And sometimes it takes a few trips to the DMV because they run out of the printing equipment consumables all the time. They tell you 3 days you come back and then a week and again they say maybe another week. So if you do not live near the DMV like me down here it can be quite a process every 2 or so years.

The forum link above has lots of misinformation and also links to agencies who are selling services. With all due respect to Dean who owns the site and who is a great guy, I don't recommend the forum links as a source of valid up-to-date info or the links provided.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
Over 1700 views and 32 posts to this thread and not a single post or report with first hand information of any actual instances of enforcement by any state, local, or federal Mexican police prohibiting or interdicting any US citizen who is a Residente Permanente who has a current valid USA state drivers license from driving his current and properly insured USA plated and registered vehicle in the Baja.

My 2 cents. I have not had a problem in MX with my SD plates and the only problem I have had in the US was after I went to SD, became a resident, got a DL and registered my cars there, I went to SENTRI to update my address to my residence in Tijuana, (SENTRI rules). The officer became agitated and told me I was ripping CA off and he would not change my address in fact my SENTRI would be revoked in 30 days if I didn't register my cars in either MX or CA.

I told him he was wrong and I was within the law to claim SD as my residence. He was peeed. I left and wrote my SD Senator (Thune) who it seems, is a slug, and didn't respond but his aid emailed some irrelevante information with no follow up.

The officer asked if I drive on CA roads which I said yes and he said well than you are required to register my cars in CA. (idiot).

30 days went by and my Sentri stayed active and I haven't Heard anything else from them. I never got my address changed with them but my SENTRI is up for renewal so I will see son what they do. It's a matter of which employee I get.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

The forum link above has lots of misinformation and also links to agencies who are selling services. With all due respect to Dean who owns the site and who is a great guy, I don't recommend the forum links as a source of valid up-to-date info or the links provided.

mis-information on the internet, say it is not so...

My site is just what I copy and paste from what I read from many sources I have found including I cite posts from nomads. Just like reading Nomads we all know to use our intellect filters when we use them. Nomads i think has paying advertisers, i do not accept any paying advertisers. Yes I do have links to places like bajainsider who want to sell you insurance too.

I created my site for two reasons, one for me because I have a terrible memory so when I read something I would like to reference again it is somewhere where I can find it. Second because people ask me the same questions all the time and again I do not and never have had the memory of a MD who can remember all this stuff.

The advertising that is on my site on the top is because I use a free service that created that site format, if you register you will see no paid advertising. And I do not swear that things are up to date, you have to look and see when it was posted.

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by laventana]

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 10:54 AM

gnukid, great stuff. Your info is much appreciated and very, very helpful. Thanks.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 11:16 AM

Dean,

You are great guy but the misinformation you provide is causing confusion.

Here is a link to the CA DMV code which is a helpful source of info for those who want to understand how to have a CA DMV car be legal in Baja. I pay less than $100 to register my Baja car in CA. Mex Ins is about $100/yr.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc

Mexconnect is primarily focused on mainland so the info there is not applicable to Baja such as references to TIP and vehicles. Great site, but often not applicable to Baja and the owner recently passed away so it's not clear if it being moderated effectively.

Mexican drivers license is for Mexican plated vehicles only and should not be used by USA plated vehicles in Mexico though presumably could be used temporarily in USA.

The Baja insider articles you note are misleading ads made to look like news which are confusing for causal readers.

While well intended, the postings on your site are creating confusion and could put people in real trouble. I recommend you ensure postings are accurate prior to promoting and sharing in favor of readers and don't repeat info that isn't personally verifiable.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 12:04 PM

Dean,

You are great guy but the misinformation you provide is causing confusion.

Here is a link to the CA DMV code which is a helpful source of info for those who want to understand how to have a CA DMV car be legal in Baja. I pay less than $100 to register my Baja car in CA. Mex Ins is about $100/yr.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc

Mexconnect is primarily focused on mainland so the info there is not applicable to Baja such as references to TIP and vehicles. Great site, but often not applicable to Baja and the owner recently passed away so it's not clear if it being moderated effectively.

Mexican drivers license is for Mexican plated vehicles only and should not be used by USA plated vehicles in Mexico though presumably could be used temporarily in USA.

The Baja insider articles you note are misleading ads made to look like news which are confusing for causal readers.

While well intended, the postings on your site are creating confusion and could put people in real trouble. I recommend you ensure postings are accurate prior to promoting and sharing in favor of readers and don't repeat info that isn't personally verifiable.

Making sure information on this nomads site is accurate alone would be a few life long jobs...

You are also welcome to post your information there, I would welcome it. I will post what you just wrote here myself as it is again what I consider relevant. As noted my site part you are referring to is all Mexico in general but much of it is baja, I do have a LaPaz section and a LaVentana section. I do not have a baja specific section, people can go to nomads for that and so a search. I have a section that tells people about Nomads too.

BTW I post this link in that section, it is aduanas page on the fee one must pay for nationalizing a car. google translate says it is "Estimated prices applicable to imports of used vehicles by model year" I am sure you would agree that is a helpful resourse... IE is just fine for nomad readers...

http://www.aduanas-mexico.com.mx/claa/ctar/leyes/mec_precios...

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by laventana]

Equine One

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 12:53 PM

They indeed ARE denying legitimate smog exemptions in CA. Read on.

When I first moved to Baja, I was living/working about half-time in CA and living half-time in Baja. I got a CA DL and registered my car in CA.

Now I am working from home in Baja and almost never cross the border. The car is garaged in Baja. A year or so ago I renewed my registration with a smog exemption. The vehicle doesn't have any emissions issues, but there are other problems that keep provoking a "check engine" light on the dash, so it won't pass smog. As the repairs were costly, and I was within my rights to qualify for an exemption, I filed for one, and it was awarded. I brought a printout of the vehicle code with me at the time.

When I went back this year for my renewal, vehicle code in hand, I was denied the exemption (Oceanside DMV). I was told they were "cracking down" on unlawful smog exemptions. No amount of arguing or showing them the code would prevail. I don't know if there is any recourse in this case.

I am now driving on expired tags and need to get SD plates. Importing the car is not an option due to the aforementioned onerous process and the fact that it is a luxury make, which I'm told can't be imported anyway.

So, can someone update me on the easiest way to do this from Mexico that's NOT using Clickon (I prefer not to use their services)? Can I make a phone call and handle it all from here, having the plates sent to either a mailbox here or one in Chula Vista? Do I need to notarize anything, and if so, can I do that here somehow? Can I pay by CC (I don't use checks any more)? I keep finding info from around 2012 online, but then I hear the process has changed since then.

I obviously don't want to cross the border on expired plates, and hitching a ride or taking the bus is a pain.

Any info, including phone numbers etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 01:04 PM

605 677 7123 Tell the nice lady what you need to do...that your US address is a mail forwarding address, and she will explain the process, and tell you wha tthe fees are..You will need to send the original title, a copy of your DL ..Shazam

Equine One

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 01:16 PM

Thanks, chuckie!!!

Does anyone know the hours for the little UPS/mail stop in Punta Banda on 23? Norma, I think is her name? Can they send stuff for me?

Sorry, new-ish to this area still after being a long time further north.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 05:50 PM

The form you'll need to fill out and send in with your title, etc.

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E0864V18-SDAppl...

You'll send your paperwork FEDEX or other carrier and when SD receives it, you'll have your plates in 2 weeks.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Equine One

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 08:10 PM

Thank you, Lee!
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 09:36 AM
CA. DMV.

We bought our Suburban in CA. when the reg. needed to be renewed we went to CA. DMV. in Otay armed with appropriate copy's of the law and attempted to renew with our Baja address after the fight we retreated to our home and called Sacramento and were received by this really nice person. We explainer what happened at the local DMV. After which she walked us through the process.
For the last 8 years our renewal arrives on our Gate in Baja Via Snail Mail always late. Not wanting any more involvement with DMV. we just Ignore the renewal notice and renew on line and our new sticker appears on our gate on time. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 09:59 AM

[B]ANOTHER OPTION

log on to http://www.americas-mailbox.com

When you get on their website, they will explain the complete process for the registration and even the driver's license.
Print out your pertinent information.
The nice people at Americas-Mailbox will even handle the paperwork for you when you send them a notarized power of attorney.

Quote: Originally posted by Equine One  
They indeed ARE denying legitimate smog exemptions in CA. Read on.

When I first moved to Baja, I was living/working about half-time in CA and living half-time in Baja. I got a CA DL and registered my car in CA.

Now I am working from home in Baja and almost never cross the border. The car is garaged in Baja. A year or so ago I renewed my registration with a smog exemption. The vehicle doesn't have any emissions issues, but there are other problems that keep provoking a "check engine" light on the dash, so it won't pass smog. As the repairs were costly, and I was within my rights to qualify for an exemption, I filed for one, and it was awarded. I brought a printout of the vehicle code with me at the time.

When I went back this year for my renewal, vehicle code in hand, I was denied the exemption (Oceanside DMV). I was told they were "cracking down" on unlawful smog exemptions. No amount of arguing or showing them the code would prevail. I don't know if there is any recourse in this case.

I am now driving on expired tags and need to get SD plates. Importing the car is not an option due to the aforementioned onerous process and the fact that it is a luxury make, which I'm told can't be imported anyway.

So, can someone update me on the easiest way to do this from Mexico that's NOT using Clickon (I prefer not to use their services)? Can I make a phone call and handle it all from here, having the plates sent to either a mailbox here or one in Chula Vista? Do I need to notarize anything, and if so, can I do that here somehow? Can I pay by CC (I don't use checks any more)? I keep finding info from around 2012 online, but then I hear the process has changed since then.

I obviously don't want to cross the border on expired plates, and hitching a ride or taking the bus is a pain.

Any info, including phone numbers etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Equine One

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 12:05 PM

Thanks for the additional option, Udo!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 01:24 PM

You'll find the people at Americas Mailbox will totally go out of their way to help you...as is the case with everyone I have met in the same area.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 02:09 PM

There is probably half a dozen mail-forwarding outlets (or more), that could facilitate your dealings with SD. Typically, you have to open a mail-forwarding contract for about $120 a year, plus send them the Power of Attorney, plus actual SD govt registration fees, plus the facilitator's fee for "facilitating" around $20-30. (And sometimes SD excise tax on the vehicle).

This one looks cheaper than Americas Mailboxes, both in mail plans and facilitator fees. No personal experience with either one.

[Edited on 7-14-2015 by Alm]
Warf
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 04:45 PM
Importing Vehicles

Quote: Originally posted by laventana  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by yellowklr  

Just getting tired of people cheating the System thats all. If you want to be a Baja resident then be a Baja resident

I bet more people would comply if the importation process was made to be less onerous.

Has anybody done that? I'm curious, did it take more than one day while you waited in a border hotel to complete the process and how much did it cost?

I have some links posted here on the subject. It is actually from what I remember costly and hard them to every get it plated in the USA again. You have to get a document now in the USA that informs the government (easily done) that it is not a USA car so reversing is probably even more costly.

Also one thing i remember people complaining about they turn over their car to the broker I believe on USA side and it has to be completely empty. And it is only a day or two for the process. Obviously older car cheaper and newer more expensive, starting at about $1,000 and up to big money for newer. But then if you wanted to bring things down you have to get insurance for usa and cross the border. Which day insurance can be purchased while you are in line to enter the USA.

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t557-nationalize-a-car-disc...

Also I use to have a mexican drivers license, it is not expensive maybe USD$30.00 and only lasts a few years, maybe 2. And sometimes it takes a few trips to the DMV because they run out of the printing equipment consumables all the time. They tell you 3 days you come back and then a week and again they say maybe another week. So if you do not live near the DMV like me down here it can be quite a process every 2 or so years.

We imported our 2006 Chevy diesel pickup last year. It cost around $1500 and our broker had the truck back to us in 5 days. The broker does a lot of business with the berry and vegetable farmers in San Quintin importing farm equipment (tractors, trailers, trucks etc.) He lives in Ensenada but does the import in Mexicali. He says it's less hassle there. We figure we broke even on the cost to import in the first year since we no longer pay CA registration and CA insurance. Yes, we have Baja driver's licenses. We had to go to Cruz Roja for blood type and pay around $400 mxn for licenses that are good for 5 years.

La Pazadise
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 04:52 PM

Thanks warf. Good info.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 08:06 PM

Have been renewing our CA registration on two cars for the past five years using the CA exemption form. We do not deal with CA DMV, but use our local, friendly AAA office. Never a question and the tags come promptly. Yes, I know we have to pay the higher CA reg. fees and insurance, but it is clean and easy and no guilt involved.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 08:24 PM

Its not that hard to import a VEH to Mexico………..If you live in MEXICO then import your car and get a Mex DL what is hard about that?

You guys are killing me

Derek
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.