BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Crackdown on SD plates?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 12:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yellowklr  
Its not that hard to import a VEH to Mexico………..

It depends what "veh" and where to. Some are either impossible or prohibitively expensive to import. There are exceptions (or used to be) particularly for 5-9 year old cars and particularly to BCS. People importing 2006 pickup few posts above fell into this latter category (and good timing too - next year they would've been out of luck, broker or no broker).
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yellowklr  
Its not that hard to import a VEH to Mexico………..If you live in MEXICO then import your car and get a Mex DL what is hard about that?

You guys are killing me

The other option is to buy a new car here if you are a RP but I have a lot of trouble with the radio that only plays in Spanish. The Turn signals don't work, and the brakes will not come to a full stop at the stop sign. Except for that it is a pretty cool car.
:lol:

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 07:55 AM

I also was thinking about buying a new car here but didn't want the radio to be preset to it's loudest volume especially on Saturday nights! :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 08:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Just heard from a friend in La Paz that Mexico is going to start cracking down on South Dakota plates and require that your DL must match the plate. Not sure why Mexico is interested in enforcing US laws. Just wondering if anyone else has any more info on this.

Maybe mexiCan cops are not interested in enforcing USA laws. Perhaps the cops are simply recognizing that the SD plates usually represent cars imported to Mexico for a long duration, sometimes permanent, but creatively licensed to skirt mexico's import laws. And the cops are responding with creative enforcement, eh.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 08:50 AM

I think we all have to worry when South Dakota starts cracking down on South Dakota plates.....

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  

The other option is to buy a new car here if you are a RP but I have a lot of trouble with the radio that only plays in Spanish.

Why do you even need a radio? :) Last time I checked, there was one FM station in St Rosalia (and in the entire 400 km stretch from GN to Loreto).
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2015 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I think we all have to worry when South Dakota starts cracking down on South Dakota plates.....
South Dakota is not likely to shoot themselves in the foot. There is no down-side to them under the current arrangement. Hundreds of thousands dollars pour in to them every year with zero impact to their infrastructure other than the minor costs of postage and handling.

In Memory of E-57
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2015 at 08:19 AM

I think that's pretty obvious...BUT several other States are putting legal pressure on SD to enforce their own statutes.....

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
South Dakota is not likely to shoot themselves in the foot. There is no down-side to them under the current arrangement. Hundreds of thousands dollars pour in to them every year with zero impact to their infrastructure other than the minor costs of postage and handling.

I heard it's not a South Dakota thing it's a Clay county Thing And South Dakota isn't real Happy about it.
I personally think when it Fails it wont be from Internal pressure or other state Interference, the Elephant in the room will be Department of Homeland Security

[Edited on 7-17-2015 by J.P.]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 09:31 AM

You just may be correcto.....

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 09:51 AM

IF SD goes down with the registrations, there are other states (albeit a handful) that can do the same thing.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 10:07 AM

For SD, there's a small fortune in annual renewals that are cumulative. The average RVer is an RVer for years..it's the gift that keeps giving for the state.

Critics say it could cost South Dakota millions of dollars by discouraging out-of-state registrations. South Dakota's licensing fees help counties pay for road repairs, and the state collects a 3 percent excise tax on vehicles purchased and then licensed in South Dakota. New motor homes can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and the tax revenue adds up. Highly doubtful the state would give up all that.

What SD is interested in doing is..cracking down on fraud and abuses of the system. To discourage falsified applications and collect information on where people really reside. Ultimately, that information could be used by other states to crack down on their residents who license cars, boats and motor homes here.

[Edited on 7-17-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 10:17 AM

Most of us around Ensenada got our SD registration/plates from Clay County which has a total population of 13,864. Clay County plates used to be recognizabe by the two digit prefix shown as "19". That is followed by a letter, a space, another letter and two more digits for 67,600 total combinations with the first two digit prefix fixed at 19.

Last year all 67,600 combinations were used up and that's 4.88 vehicles for every man, woman and child in Clay County. After that they had to start using unissued plates from the other 65 counties such as Jones, with a population of 1006 and a liscens plate prefix of "41" or Day with a population of 1029 and a liscense plate prefix of "22".

Bob Durrell
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 11:19 AM

When I was up there last fall, hunting, it was really hard to find a parking spot.....

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 05:20 PM

the Elephant in the room will be Department of Homeland Security

They've got an excuse for everything. Let's start cracking some old people's skulls and see if they might fess up.

All in good humor of course.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 08:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  

Critics say it could cost South Dakota millions of dollars by discouraging out-of-state registrations. ....

What SD is interested in doing is..cracking down on fraud and abuses of the system. To discourage falsified applications and collect information on where people really reside.

They don't reside in SD, and SD knows that. Illegal thing to do in the states where they reside, but according to SD this is legal. For SD to crack down on this kind of fraud, they need to simply ban such registrations. If they were "interested", they would've done it already, no?

[Edited on 7-18-2015 by Alm]
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 09:28 PM
sd plates/registration

Illegal thing to do in the states where they reside, but according to SD this is legal. For SD to crack down on this kind of fraud, they need to simply ban such registrations. If they were "interested", they would've done it already, no?

[Edited on 7-18-2015 by Alm][/rquote]

Some people do not reside in any one place. They are true snow birds and "reside" where they are parked.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
Some people do not reside in any one place. They are true snow birds and "reside" where they are parked.

BINGO.

In the last 10+ years is the emerging full-time Baby-Boomer-RV crowd, sold the roost, and need a homing-base for legal reasons. Thank South Dakota for not only promoting that, but the freedom of FREE MOVEMENT, and somewhat abiding some semblance of American law....

For the rest of you, who choose do so just for cheapishness, I don't blame you at all. I would too. I don't need to, as New Mexico takes care of their disabled Vets. Otherwise, I'd do it too. However; if you choose to speed a little, which WE ALL DO from time to time, and you get caught, you pay the ticket. Not the cop's fault.

In a tiny town in So. Utah the cop (s... there were two....) would watch for people with out of State plates in the P.O. parking lot, and if you pulled mail out of a P.O. Box and had non-Utah plates, and were investigated for dual State citizenship was a HUGE fine of about $3K or so....

So we all play the system. I feel if you don't, you'z da fool. That's part of the fun of being alive, taking a risk now and then, big freakin' deal.

I ACTUALLY KNOW ONE PERSON FROM SOUTH DAKOTA WHO LIVES IN SOUTH DAKOTA AND HAS SOUTH DAKOTA PLATES !!! OHHH, EMMMM - GEEEE !!!!

:lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 10:10 PM
The most ridiculous plate scammer yet

On my flight back to Anchorage on the fourth of July, I ran into a friend I have known since I moved here in 1980. He no longer lives in Alaska, but has family here, and has maintained an AK drivers license.

He told me that after five years of using an Alaska registered and plated vehicle for work, he finally got busted for it.....in Hawaii!

What was he thinking....that he could say he was just driving through?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.