Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Earthbag homes
Bendrix11

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 08:15 AM
Earthbag homes

I already posted this topic in the building forum, however I think I may get more feedback here at Q & A. So anyway, I've been looking into these things recently and would be interested to know if anyone has an experience or knows of anyone who has built one of these things (particularly in the La Paz/Todos Santos region...)

Many thanks in advance.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 10:10 AM

Why build one? There must be thousands of dirt bag homes on the market.
Higo

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:25 PM

I saw an earthbag home from a boat on the coast near El Cardonal. I googled it and found this blog/website. Might be worth contacting the owner for the info.

http://casadelasdomas.com/Casa_de_las_Domas/Hootenanny_In_Ba...

Also, I've seen an earthbag place under construction north of Los Barriles on the hillside. Good luck. Earthbag construction is incredible!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 09:12 PM

Welcome to Nomads Higo, thanks for your input.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 11:40 PM

https://calearth.org/
This type of construction was approved by the County of San Bernardino a while ago. The link I provided is a excellent starting point for discovery of this technology. Cal Earth is the founder of earth bag construction.

It's a perfect way to build a home in Baja. Lots of sand as the main material..... barbwire and a little bit of lumber. Best part of this is that any casual labor can help build a sandbag house.

Cal Earth has on site classes with accommodation for extended stays at their Mohave Desert complex.

In Pete's Camp.....8 miles north of San Felipe.....there is a perfect site to visit....as it is still under construction.

Pictures of various construction sites: http://tinyurl.com/pjlq5yx

Quote: Originally posted by Bendrix11  
I already posted this topic in the building forum, however I think I may get more feedback here at Q & A. So anyway, I've been looking into these things recently and would be interested to know if anyone has an experience or knows of anyone who has built one of these things (particularly in the La Paz/Todos Santos region...)

Many thanks in advance.

[Edited on 7-24-2015 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 06:09 AM

The dirt bag homes don't look like they have any ability to withstand seismic shaking
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 12:29 PM

Actually....they do...and got approved for seismic.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The dirt bag homes don't look like they have any ability to withstand seismic shaking

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mcfez  
Actually....they do...and got approved for seismic.

that's not exactly what their website says...
they're not "approved" but
one building site was

this experimental construction

my thought...(water and dirt)= disaster

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 02:32 PM

Kind of like those adobe houses. right? Dirt/water :D

Approved. Not sure what pieces of the information you are taking.....but in the whole light...it clearly states approved....in many locations. Just like any other new engineering tech....one must provide additional data for planning approval. So......this IS a approved system.

"........The best example of code approval in seismic areas of California is the work done at CalEarth, near Hesperia. They have actually designed and helped construct an earthbag public building for the city, and the system was required to undergo extensive testing to be sanctioned by the authorities. Since then they have sold similar designs for complex dome structures that have been code approved in various other states".

Details on various stress tests:
http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/testing.htm

taos pueblo.0.jpg - 24kB

[Edited on 7-24-2015 by mcfez]

bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 03:20 PM

using earth bags alone with out support structure appears that single story is about the limit.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 04:45 PM

I actually like the designs but all the pictures of this stuff shows un-finished houses...

I wonder how many people finish...it only takes 10 weeks...but...it looks like the houses are NEVER done.

today I took a sock out back and filled it with dry dirt...
I then tied the end
then I put the hose to it...wow...what a muddy mess

our website is:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 07:21 PM

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1287410

Three man crew.

It's actually an concept that you should research. It seems that the resort you have built down there....this concept would be great for your site. You do have sand, right :-)

Before washing that ol sock out.....use plaster to the exterior. Good discussion, txs.

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I actually like the designs but all the pictures of this stuff shows un-finished houses...

I wonder how many people finish...it only takes 10 weeks...but...it looks like the houses are NEVER done.

today I took a sock out back and filled it with dry dirt...
I then tied the end
then I put the hose to it...wow...what a muddy mess

[Edited on 7-25-2015 by mcfez]

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 04:36 AM

I agree plaster but not a regular plaster...

regular plaster sucks in water...a lot

it would have to be a hardened plaster with a sealer in it...
AND
use the paper with chicken wire for a scratch coat before the plaster
AND
if you do that i'd stay with conventional block and castillos because the population understands this

I like the idea and the weird designs but acceptance might a problem for later sales

I wonder what the straw-bale houses look like now...
maybe cracked and crumbly and moldy

this time im not "in"
not proven yet and too many "unfinished" projects

no need to reinvent the wheel in Baja...there's enough unfinished projects here now

our website is:
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 09:31 AM
Minor hijack

This type of construction was approved by the County of San Bernardino a while ago. The link I provided is a excellent starting point for discovery of this technology. Cal Earth is the founder of earth bag construction.

It's a perfect way to build a home in Baja. Lots of sand as the main material..... barbwire and a little bit of lumber. Best part of this is that any casual labor can help build a sandbag house.

Cal Earth has on site classes with accommodation for extended stays at their Mohave Desert complex.

In Pete's Camp.....8 miles north of San Felipe.....there is a perfect site to visit....as it is still under construction.

Back in 1970 I drew plans for a guy that had a cinder cone on his property just off highway 395 in Kern County. He set 8 foot long metal poles at 10 foot on center and stung barbedwire between them at 2 fooot intevals.. Then he built 2 foot high x 16" deep wooden forms on all sides. He also built and set wooden frames for all window and door openings as well as PVC electrical conduit.
Next he mixed 3 cubic yards of volcanic cinder with water and 1 shovel of cement and poured and tamped that in the forms on all 4 sides. After that mix had set he raised the forms another 2 feet and repeated the process until he reahed the top of the 8 foot walls, setting the window/door forms and PVC conduit in the right location as he went along.
After much debate the county of Kern approved those plans and the structure still stands today.
This option eliminates the need for baging sand.

Bob Durrell
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

Back in 1970 I drew plans for a guy that had a cinder cone on his property just off highway 395 in Kern County. He set 8 foot long metal poles at 10 foot on center and stung barbedwire between them at 2 fooot intevals.. Then he built 2 foot high x 16" deep wooden forms on all sides. He also built and set wooden frames for all window and door openings as well as PVC electrical conduit.
Next he mixed 3 cubic yards of volcanic cinder with water and 1 shovel of cement and poured and tamped that in the forms on all 4 sides. After that mix had set he raised the forms another 2 feet and repeated the process until he reahed the top of the 8 foot walls, setting the window/door forms and PVC conduit in the right location as he went along.
After much debate the county of Kern approved those plans and the structure still stands today.

Look at most every large earthquake in the news. The poorly reinforced concrete and masonry buildings fall down.

You say the county approved it after much debate. The county probably just gave in and said "whatever" as they have no liability for homeowners foolishness. Also, in 1970 how advanced was the seismic engineering and CA bldg regs for houses?

[Edited on 7-25-2015 by mtgoat666]
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 10:37 AM

I filled enough sand bags in Viet Nam --I'll pass on earth bag home:?::?:

[Edited on 6-11-2015 by BajaGlenn]
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

Look at most every large earthquake in the news. The poorly reinforced concrete and masonry buildings fall down.

You say the county approved it after much debate. The county probably just gave in and said "whatever" as they have no liability for homeowners foolishness. Also, in 1970 how advanced was the seismic engineering and CA bldg regs for houses?

[Edited on 7-25-2015 by mtgoat666]

Goat.....the city bought one :-)

"They have actually designed and helped construct an earthbag public building for the city, and the system was required to undergo extensive testing to be sanctioned by the authorities. "

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 09:33 PM

Hell of a interesting tech. The problem with this paper concept is....there aint no paper in Baja! A lime paint coating is used....same stuff that they used to use on the eastern coast back in the early days.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-a-Dome-out-of-Paper...

AND
AND
if you do that i'd stay with conventional block and castillos because the population understands this

I like the idea and the weird designs but acceptance might a problem for later sales

this time im not "in"

no need to reinvent the wheel in Baja...there's enough unfinished projects here now

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 04:44 PM

The old sodies that the settlers used in the 1800's in the plains states, some are still there,, big thick walls i think clay, straw or grass etc...
I have old school chums still living in the ones there family built a 100 years ago in the okie panhandle...
of course probably have never dealt with much of an earthquake...
Then there are some now called rammed earth homes... don't know much about that process...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 05:11 PM

Hell of a interesting tech. The problem with this paper concept is....there aint no paper in Baja! A lime paint coating is used....same stuff that they used to use on the eastern coast back in the early days.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-a-Dome-out-of-Paper...

AND
AND

this time im not "in"

For a good lime plaster, hot lime is needed, not the hydrated type they sell in bags but the kind that needs to be slaked. An emulsion made from cholla or nopal, chopped and soaked in water, is added.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.