Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wanted: 1981-85 Jeep Scrambler for Winter 2005-06 Baja trip
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 1-12-2005 at 11:24 PM
Wanted: 1981-85 Jeep Scrambler for Winter 2005-06 Baja trip

I'm starting early to plan my next winter's Baja Escape, and I am looking into finding a 1981 to 1985 Jeep Scrambler in decent condition.

I'll be in Switzerland until later this year, I hope no longer and then I am off to the Baja. I have unloaded my Baja Chihuahua gas pig 1980 Dodge Transvan motorhome and will do the same with my 1994 GEO Tracker, and then the fun begins to find a worthy replacement vehicle to explore the Baja.

In the fall of 1980 I walked into a local mall in my hometown in BC Canada, and fell for a jet black 1981 Jeep Scrambler. I've owned many 4x4's, Durango, Jeep Cherokee, and others, and many fancy good for nothing but looks vehicles, but this one purchase stood out most. My first new vehicle at $16,500. My trusty jet black Jeep Scrambler was a real gem. I drove everywhere, and it went hard for me for 4 1/2 years, and then one day I must have hit my head too hard on the hardtop roof during a bumpy adventure. I got married.

That's when I lost my noodle. My wife at the time (and the only one) begged me to get rid of the Jeep Scrambler for a more economical car. We bought a boxy little French made Renault. What an ugly useless piece of... That's about the time I started wearing wigs, dark glasses, and Mr. Cluso overcoats to hide my identity. I wound up selling my Scrambler for $5,000. Big big mistake. I should have kept the Scrambler and unloaded the wife instead.

Anyways. Over the next 6 - 8 months I will be looking for one of these babies. It's everything I need to pack my Baja camping gear, and then I can almost go anywhere in the Baja and mainland Mexico.

So if anyone sees one of these gems on a lot or for sale in the western corridor from BC Canada down thru Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, or Arizona, please let me know, that is if you can grab a number or email of the seller. It would be very much appreciated. They are hard to find in good condition up here in Canada.

I've posted some photos. They are a pretty unique looking rig. The longer box on the back with side rails is the key to spotting them.

Any feedback for those eagle eyed Baja Off-Roads is Much appreciated.

RandyMac

[Edited on 1-13-2005 by RandyMac]

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 1-12-2005 at 11:27 PM

Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 1-15-2005 at 03:29 PM
Thanks Grover, will check this Hilix 4x4 out.

My buddy is looking to purchase a 4x4 and he might be interested.

It's definitely an interesting option, but I have my sights set on a Jeep Scrambler, as I know the vehicle inside and out after owning one from 1981 to 1986. However, gas mileage, and purchasing a new vehicle vs. and older used 4x4 has to be considered, so this Toyota Hilix might just be a better way to go.

Thanx again for digging this up for me. Much appreciated.

RandyMac

[Edited on 1-15-2005 by RandyMac]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 05:08 PM

You can get the Wrangler Unlimited which is real close to the Scrambler, but with fuel injection, and a warranty for about the same price ($20,000) as a vintage Scrambler in good condition.

Try the Rubicon Unlimited for the ultimate in Baja capability for about $28,000.00
-Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

shocked.gif posted on 1-18-2005 at 05:49 PM
Ultimate Baja Vehicle=Toyota

For less than the $28,000 for the Canadian made Jeep, you can get a California made Toyota truck with TRD package ($26,000 new) that is ready to go to Baja (locking diff., 16"BFGs, Bilstein shocks std. equip.) with much more crgo area than a Jeep, and will bring you back, too! Pictured is Marian Johns (former Jeep owner) piloting a Tacoma over the Pole Line Road, with ease!:lol:

Oh, I am a former Jeep owner as well...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 09:35 PM

I do not think the Tacoma has a 1 ton rating, no... Check the Internet for details. I just know that my Tacoma is the best vehicle I have ever driven (off road)...

My first Jeep was a 75 1/2 AMC Cherokee Chief (had the J-10 Jeep truck axles and wide flared wheel openings)... with Quadra Trac full time 4WD and a 401 V-8.

Here it is when I was down south to watch the '75 (Score's first) Baja 1000, here on the old road between Valle Trinidad and San Felipe...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.