BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How about a new forum listing on food in Baja?
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 09:54 AM
How about a new forum listing on food in Baja?

Looking at the current restaurant forum it comes to mind that one has to peel through hundreds of posts to find something specific.
Why go through the trouble of "search" when other options are possible.

Many years ago I read (and followed and still have) "Eating Your Way Through Baja" a classic if not iconic book.

How about a forum room that lists restaurants by city with maybe everyone just listing the name of the place, quick location information and a 1 through 5 (5 best) rating categorized by city maybe running north to south?
It could be quick and easy to sort through that way and printable to take along.

I fully realize that some entries could go out of business but if others in the same city were available no big deal.

The same could be done for hotels.

I kinda thing this could be a really big item here on Nomads.

How would this be arranged here on Noamds?
I'll bet hits would increase as the size of the lists increased.
Great for the advertisers.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-12-2015 at 10:05 AM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Looking at the current restaurant forum it comes to mind that one has to peel through hundreds of posts to find something specific.
Why go through the trouble of "search" when other options are possible.

The search feature here works better than previously, and Google search likes forums such as this.

Having said that, I have a solution in mind that addresses this in what I think would be the most effective manner... I just need to get around to implementing it is all.

;D

...btw, thanks for the input!

[Edited on 7-12-2015 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 10:18 AM

Another good idea Cliffy. How about one for Baja Mortuaries? How bout one for Baja Vampires? Wow, the options are endless. Something easy for everyone. That's the ticket.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 03:57 PM

Although I think they are a pain in the culo, Tripadvisor does have reviews of most of the BCS restaurants. My advisory is that I cannot help but thinking that there is some rigging going on with the reviews.

Then, there is the website loscabosguide.com, which has been around for may years. A mixture of advertisements an reviews.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 04:54 PM

There are people always asking about restaurants and hotels on this forum, especially newbies.
There are 100% experts here also that could share their knowledge.
All it needs is an organized form.
What better way to help everyone.
Sounds like the Head Honcho may have something in mind.
I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Hopefully something clean and neat like "Eating Your Way Through Baja" was.
Something that everyone can contribute to.
As a side note- Search functions just won't cut it. Some kind of an always evolving constant contribution listing by city what is needed.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 12:09 AM

Thanks for your suggestion on improving ways to access the information people share here.

One thing I do when I read a helpful review is copy and paste the basic Information into the contacts list on my Ipad, which always travels with me. I put the review information into the notes section, under listing categories I have created for Baja restaurants, hotels, campgrounds etc.

I organize them by town, and include the owners names, phone/email,
Address or directions, etc. If I find something has changed along the way I update it during my travels. If something is especially noteworthy I include that information as well.

This method might not work for everyone, but I have found it helpful to have this in my Ipad when planning a trip, or in the middle of one.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 09:30 AM

That's a good way of doing it for those of us who frequent this forum all the time. For the newbies, a new way would be most helpful. One that they could access quickly (but similar in form to what you have done)
and then get on with their trip.
Quick, clean and simple. Print a copy and off they go taking the mystery and concern out of the equation. Might just remove one more hurdle from travel to Baja.
How many people would this help on both sides of the border?
I'd hope it wouldn't be a "pay to play" system for the retardants but a
truly first hand experience type of site.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 09:58 AM

This is a GREAT idea. Restaurants in towns (SQ, GN, Loreto…) would work well. If I were more organized, I'd know where to eat….. there's a political forum here, food forum would be good too.

What's it mean to have a forum for vampires?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 10:12 AM

I might be missing something here...what's the problem with searching the Baja Restaurant forum with a town's name in the search box?

Like..if you want to view some cafes in Loreto, Cabo, or Mulege..type it in and bingo! Or does that bring up too many choices?

Disclaimer: Of course, the nurses haven't brought me my pablum yet today and I may be slightly off my blood sugar level. ;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 12:24 PM

Pompano- The problem may be lack of familiarity with searching Nomad, and also being overwhelmed with all the Information that pops up in a search. This is true both for long-time users, and people who are new to the discussions.

I appreciate the efforts/suggestions for updates and improvements. Lots of good Information here, sometimes tough to sort thru it and apply it to travel plans.

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
I might be missing something here...what's the problem with searching the Baja Restaurant forum with a town's name in the search box?

Like..if you want to view some cafes in Loreto, Cabo, or Mulege..type it in and bingo! Or does that bring up too many choices?

Disclaimer: Of course, the nurses haven't brought me my pablum yet today and I may be slightly off my blood sugar level. ;)

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 02:18 PM

Such a thread might be helpful.....frequently outdated, but helpful.

By the time some places hit the printing press, they are outta business.....que lastima....

Don't believe everything you think....
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 07:42 PM

WOW pictures. I just finished dinner and now I'm hungry again!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.