BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ensenada spanish school
noshoes

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 07:31 PM
Ensenada spanish school

Does anyone have any experience with the Center of Languages spanish school in Ensenada? I'm thinking of doing some time there studying, and am curious if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks in advance...

http://www.spanishschoolbaja.com/index.php
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 09:18 PM

I do not have experience with that school. However, I pre-paid for a weekend immersion program in Ensenada a year and a half ago with this outfit:

http://www.bajacal.com/spanish-immersion-programs.html

I'm finally going go do it this weekend! I will let you know how it goes.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 10:42 PM

I studied there many years ago. They offered small class sizes and good immersion programs. The teachers were good and the materials were helpful.

They had optional activities such as cooking classes and trips to local attractions.

Some of the students were doctors focusing on medical terminology.

I stayed at my own house while taking the classes so can't tell you about the homestay options.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 10:56 AM

I can't begin to remember how many young folk around town told me they learned English [pretty good at that] from watching cartoons on TV. I guess they weren't sound-dubbed, and kids soak up info like a sponge.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
noshoes

[*] posted on 7-15-2015 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I do not have experience with that school. However, I pre-paid for a weekend immersion program in Ensenada a year and a half ago with this outfit:

http://www.bajacal.com/spanish-immersion-programs.html

I'm finally going go do it this weekend! I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks I appreciate that. They seem to be a couple hundred more than the one I'm looking at for a 4 week school. The homestay is a bit more as well. So knowing how you do there, will help.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 11:23 PM

I had a great experience at Baja California Language College. So much so, that I am considering going down next weekend for more. I highly recommend it.

I did a weekend immersion Spanish course one-on-one. My objective is to improve my ability to communicate, including to do so correctly. Because of that, most of the time was spent conversing. Some grammatical exercises were thrown in as appropriate. I got exactly what I wanted out of it. Your experience may be different since you are focusing on a longer program.
noshoes

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 08:45 PM

Thanks BBR. Do you consider yourself a beginner? or pretty fluent?

[Edited on 7-21-2015 by noshoes]
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 09:17 PM

I'm not fluent. took a year of Spanish in college, and then did another year about ten years ago. But, I have forgotten a lot.

I can converse fairly well, but make mistakes here and there. I want to improve. I sometimes have a very hard time understanding some people.

I wanted to focus on conversation, and refresh some grammar. I spent most of the two days conversing with the instructor about things, with some grammar exercises interspersed here and there. Exactly what I wanted. They can adjust their program to your needs.

What is your level?

noshoes

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 04:17 PM

I'm a beginner. I've taken lessons on and off since the 4th grade, but I don't keep up with it, and if I don't use it, I lose it. I want to move to MX at least part of the year, so am trying to brush up again. I go south about 5 or 6 times a year, but end up with the grunt and point method of communication pretty often. I'd like to get past that, and actually understand what folks are saying, and have them understand me.
noshoes

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
I studied there many years ago. They offered small class sizes and good immersion programs. The teachers were good and the materials were helpful.......

Thanks. It looks like I'll spend the month of January doing classes there. Maybe head for the whales afterwards.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 11:39 AM

Good luck. Are you planning on staying with a host family, or elsewhere?
noshoes

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 06:07 PM

Host family. I travel by moto, so don't have room to carry a lot.
So having it all there, should make it easier. I'm also hoping it'll help with my learning.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.