Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making my own temporary mooring
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 05:54 AM
Making my own temporary mooring

I have a 18' FishRite alum boat, maybe runs 1700lbs. I normally take my boat out everyday but want to leave it on the hook overnight for maybe a week or so in the south bay area of BOLA. I have a 'medium' size Danforth style with 20' of chain. Every drawing I see on the web has chain going to the buoy - that must mean I need to add, say another 20' of lighter weight chain to the buoy? Or should I put a 2nd anchor at this connection, like a mud anchor.

Shouldn't the rope from the boat to the buoy be connected to the boat at the trailer strap eye and not go over the top of the bow, tied off to the front cleat?[img][/img]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 06:25 AM

I launch and anchor my 14 foot aluminum boat just offshore when at Bahia Concepcion. I use a Mexican grappling hook type anchor made out of rebar (popular with local panga owners, I bought one for 200 pesos) on a sand bottom and about 15 feet of heavy chain with rope running from the end of the chain to the buoy. Minimum (high tide) scope of 4:1 (anchor rode to water depth). I've left it in the water for months with no problems, except bottom fouling.

I also run a line to shore, just in case. Why not if it's close enough?

Use the bow eye on the stem, not a deck cleat.

Learn to tie a bowline knot.

[Edited on 7-20-2015 by SFandH]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 07:24 AM

Santiago, google up a Mooring Hitch. From my Navy days.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 07:48 AM

Danforth's are great in a straight blow from one direction, but if your location is subject to winds that change direction and sometimes blow continuously from the new direction, then I would go with a Bruce style anchor or a CQR. They reset so much faster than a Danforth, but they are less reliable in a big blow. My recollection of anchoring at BOLA was that winds DO shift dramatically. But I always anchored off Guillermos; it may be more consistent off of Geckos.

Honestly, with your low profile and low weight, a Bruce should be fine, even in a big blow (40+ knots).

Are you familiar with an Anchor Buddy? Did we already talk about this?

If you anchor within 50 feet of shore, this thing is great, though it is potentially a weak point between the mooring and the boat in a huge blow. If you need to anchor out farther than 50 feet, you could put two together. You will need a shore anchor and line for this, though. But VERY convenient. Instant access to your boat. Easy to load or unload the boat and have it pulled back out.

I wish I could use one, but it is for boats under 4k lbs.

Here is the promotional video:

https://youtu.be/kBWravGEwp4

Some people attach the shore anchor line and the sea bottom anchor line to the bow of the boat. This is nice because it will keep the bow into the wind and you can still pull the bow up onto shore and load up with relatively dry feet.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 07:50 AM

In San Lucas Cove we used to put out an anchor which we buried at low tide with a large chain connector (screw type) in the eye. Then you put a long continuous rope through the chain connector. Then we would put a mooring clip on the rope and it was easy to pull the boat out to anchor or pull it in to load in the morning. Sure made it easier than doing the "sting ray shuffle" in the morning. I spent a winter or two with that system and never had a problem. One guy did not bury his anchor but all that happened was the boat drifted to shore when the anchor came loose.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 09:05 AM

Pescador, I did that on my last stay. I had the continuous line running through the last link in the anchor chain. Worked great, didn't have to wade out to the boat. I tied a small fender to the anchor with a separate line just to mark its position.

[Edited on 7-20-2015 by SFandH]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 01:10 PM

The shore line is not appropriate in my case as we have to anchor up beyond the shore break when the north wind blows. This is generally the prevailing wind but a west wind can kick up from time to time. Also, it is not unusual for 3 or 4 boats to be moored in the general area and everyone comes into the small sandy beach in the morning and afternoon to load/offload so shore lines would be in the way.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 04:24 PM

if you use 2 anchors they will "walk"

remember the heavy chain (as long as the boat) is actually the anchor

it lays on the ground and doesn't let the boat float away

im never comfortable leaving the boat floating in the water...the wind ALWAYS seems to come up at 2am when its out there

I bought wheels that attach to the running boards for easy loading and unloading...takes less than 5 minutes and I sleep way better...the BEST $250 I ever spent

no need to get wet in the morning either getting to the boat

[Edited on 7-20-2015 by Bob and Susan]

wh.jpg - 26kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 05:07 PM

Bob,
I get it, one of Doc's rules to enjoy a happy vacation is take your boat out at night - you never wake up at 2:00am and wonder.....
But, there is many a time I thought it would be nice to go out for an hour or two in the late afternoon - early evening but the launch-retrieval thing is a b*tch at my campo unless it's a serious plus tide.
So, we never do.
I have the Teflon slicks and a launching wheel.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 06:17 PM

I wouldn't suggest you haul a boat with these wheels installed but

our boat can be a foot out of the water and we just push it off...

then I bought a really low geared crank to pull the boat back up

a long chain and a second car launched and retrieves...

works every time

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 06:29 PM

CHAIN CHAIN CHAIN that is the key , bigger and more is better . Lots of Chain will help any anchor hold.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 08:24 PM

So, if you moor your boat out, you will have to wade to it every time? Bummer.

Given how cold the water is there for much of the year, I'd be launching a retrieving each time.

What about kayaking out to it each time and then clipping the kayak to the mooring ball? Is that your plan?

[Edited on 7-21-2015 by Hook]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 08:40 PM

Most of us keep a kayak on the beach.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 08:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Are you familiar with an Anchor Buddy? Did we already talk about this?

If you anchor within 50 feet of shore, this thing is great, though it is potentially a weak point between the mooring and the boat in a huge blow. If you need to anchor out farther than 50 feet, you could put two together. You will need a shore anchor and line for this, though. But VERY convenient. Instant access to your boat. Easy to load or unload the boat and have it pulled back out.

I wish I could use one, but it is for boats under 4k lbs.

Here is the promotional video:

https://youtu.be/kBWravGEwp4

Some people attach the shore anchor line and the sea bottom anchor line to the bow of the boat. This is nice because it will keep the bow into the wind and you can still pull the bow up onto shore and load up with relatively dry feet.

That Anchor Buddy is cool!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 10:57 PM

use a mushroom Anchor for silty bottom, or pyramid anchor for coarser bottom. If working on the cheap and using locally sourced materials, use big weight anchor (engine blocks, concrete in drums, etc). Use light chain to attach a mooring buoy.

Get a dinghy or kayak to get out to moored boat.

Is there a work boat near you? Then put in a helical screw anchor.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 08:05 AM

There are a few permanent concrete anchors in front of camp already. Maybe dive down and attach a new chain.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.