Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Newbies Driving the Baja First Time - Help
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 05:16 PM

Yes, the TJ crossing works just fine for me. Plus newbies might not know that the drive on the toll road along the coast to Ensenada is really a pretty, scenic drive on a 4 lane divided highway. There are only three stops to Ensenada after you cross the border, the three toll booths. No stop signs, red lights, and unlike recent reports from Tecate, no cops stopping you with their hand out because you didn't signal a lane change, or some such nonsense.

However, don't use the Tijuana crossing southbound in the late afternoon / early evening on weekdays. Lots of commuter traffic especially as you drive west to the coast after crossing.

Tecate would be a good idea northbound on the return trip.

And I agree 2 weeks for a round trip from Canada to Cabo and back is not enough time unless you REALLY like driving almost the whole time.

[Edited on 7-22-2015 by SFandH]
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 06:11 PM

Hi, neighbour,

Fly Westjet direct and enjoy your time off. Calgary to Cabo is about 4 hours, Westjet also flies to Loreto, Dec. to May. The flight costs offset the cost of fuel, dollar exchange, time for fun factor. Getting to know Baja & Baja Sur beforehand by travelling around in a rental car will help with reducing culture shock. Cabo has lots of touristy stuff and is fun for a quick visit, San Jose del Cabo is more interesting, there are good small towns to visit on the loop around area know as Cabo del Este (East Cape).

We thought we could do the same trip from southern Alberta in two weeks the first time we went, but wound up resting in San Felipe before heading back home. Get your vehicle in good order and your paperwork ready. Get good maps from AMA. If you use a GPS, learn how to use it beforehand. Weather can be foul through the BC and US mountain passes past Oct. 15 until spring. Observe traffic rules, it helps to know Spanish or someone who does.

Guide posts for route planning, we cross at Tecate both ways, these areas have services, but adjust your stops to your way of being:

Scenic route: If you drive, head for the I-15 to stop at Dillon, Montana, then Fillmore, Utah, Vegas, El Centro, CA, then cross early the next day at Tecate and head for San Quintin, via Mex 3, then Ensendada to Guerro Negro, on Mex 1 then Loreto, the Cabo. That's all day driving at posted speed limits.

Or, head for the I-5, stop at Cranbrook, cross at Kingsgate in BC, head for Hood River, Oregon, down the I-5 to Medford, Lost Lake, Rancho San Diego, choose your crossing, then head down through Baja.

Enjoy the trip,
W

[Edited on 7-22-2015 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 06:22 PM

I agree with Bajaguys driving advice, but....Cabo? Why?? There are so many better places in Baja to spend your time (too expensive, crime..). I recommend staying north of Loreto (including Loreto). Maybe Todos Santos.

One more thought. Bring pesos for gas, food and hotels. You can get them at ATMs in most towns, and get the current exchange with a small additional charge.

Enjoy!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 06:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  

One more thought. Bring pesos for gas, food and hotels. You can get them at ATMs in most towns, and get the current exchange with a small additional charge.

Enjoy!

Last winter in Mulege a couple of Canadians were complaining, understandably, that they could withdraw only a smallish amount a day, I think it was $200, could have been 2000 pesos.

:?:

Anyway, if you're going to be using plastic, call your bank and tell them you're going to Mex. Ask them about withdrawal limits.

[Edited on 7-22-2015 by SFandH]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
I agree with Bajaguys driving advice, but....Cabo? Why?? There are so many better places in Baja to spend your time (too expensive, crime..). I recommend staying north of Loreto (including Loreto). Maybe Todos Santos.Enjoy!

Maybe take a look at your map?

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 11:50 PM

Another vote for crossing at Tecate (doesn't seem like time is THAT much of a problem)...easy crossing and then take in the wine country on the way south. So much easier on the soul.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 10:16 AM

We can think of probably 50 places in BAJA we would rather spend the winter than Cabo...
Of course if you like golf, crowds, trinket shops, big box stores and the never ending time share salesmen then this would be the place to be..
Oh, and higher prices for most everything..
If you like laid back, easy livin, quiet beaches, good food, etc. etc.. then about anywhere north of LaPaz on either side would be my pick..
Lots of history and things to do and see mid BAJA.
Also lots of fun folks... am I right???

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
jim1944

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 11:46 AM

lots of good advice here. The first thing you should do is get the AAA Baja map. I have been staying near Loreto for the past 19 years. I am usually able to withdraw 6000 pesos at a time from the ATM there but things change from tome to time. I live in Cranbrook, BC if you want to call me and ask any questions two five zero four eight nine four one eight eight
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 01:57 PM

Absolutely right.

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  
We can think of probably 50 places in BAJA we would rather spend the winter than Cabo...
Of course if you like golf, crowds, trinket shops, big box stores and the never ending time share salesmen then this would be the place to be..
If you like laid back, easy livin, quiet beaches, good food, etc. etc.. then about anywhere north of LaPaz on either side would be my pick..

BTW...La Paz is not really a tourist destination. But you can rent some sort of boat or kayak and have a great time just hanging around the Malecon.After all it is the largest city in Baja except for Tijuana. The Malecon area is absolutely gorgeous.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 02:52 PM

I'm positive you're right for some people. And for all the others who make Cabo a great place to visit, shop, have a memorable meal, and lots of other things, the magic is still there. I don't spend a lot of time in Cabo because I prefer Pescadero and Todos. Going to Cabo to shop, though, is like a big city experience, like La Paz, and the pace is faster than what I'm use to. So, as part of the total experience, Cabo works. There's a place (places) in Baja for everyone.

For some reason, all the negative things mentioned about Cabo go over my head. Just don't see it as anything but a great place with great people.

Another place that doesn't click with some people is Guerrero Negro. Sometimes, it's dusty, windy and foggy. Personally, I love it. It has a charm equal to all the other places in Baja. The people make it special. Maybe, like Cabo, it's best to look below the surface.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

I'm positive you're right for some people. And for all the others who make Cabo a great place to visit, shop, have a memorable meal, and lots of other things, the magic is still there. I don't spend a lot of time in Cabo because I prefer Pescadero and Todos. Going to Cabo to shop, though, is like a big city experience, like La Paz, and the pace is faster than what I'm use to. So, as part of the total experience, Cabo works. There's a place (places) in Baja for everyone.

For some reason, all the negative things mentioned about Cabo go over my head. Just don't see it as anything but a great place with great people.

Another place that doesn't click with some people is Guerrero Negro. Sometimes, it's dusty, windy and foggy. Personally, I love it. It has a charm equal to all the other places in Baja. The people make it special. Maybe, like Cabo, it's best to look below the surface.

I can understand some folks complaining about Cabo. As someone who first visited Cabo in 1982, I can attest that many times my heart hurt as the development continued. In '82, there was a single traffic light. And Mex 1 was just about the only paved road. There was no marina, and just about three hotels. Solmar, Finesterra, and Hacienda.

The good news is that at least today there are many fabulous restaurants.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 04:55 PM

Hey there paisano...slow down and smell the cactus amigo! You will love the scenic driving and food not to mention the beaches! Just dont drive at night and be mindful of your surroundings...crazy things happen on the highway all hours of the day so be on guard. Dont worry about the military check points...just kids doing their job...get insurance and your tourist visa and a good map.

We usually stop in El Rosario at Baja Cactus beside the Pemex gas station there, then you can make it to San Ignacio or Sta.Rosalia the next day...unless you decide to come and visit us in Bahia Asuncion..but we are an hour off the highway. We stay at El Morro and love it in Sta. Rosalia, quiet with a pool and great ocean view as it is on the cliff...or maybe stay with Gary & terry...also canucks at Ignacio Springs..then onto Loreto or La Paz the next day if you are in a hurry.
Do you already have digs in Cabo to go to?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 05:37 PM

The number one concern is the HIGHWAY! I am a woman who drives from Bahia Asuncion to Canada There is a lot of semi traffic, unexpected bumps, and people in a crazy hurry so always drive defensively especially around any curves. Everything else is just fun and a liberating adventure.
ColdinCalgary

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 09:10 AM

Thank you everyone for all of the good advice! We are loading up the house in Calgary today and our "stuff" should be in Cabo by October. Looking forward to the drive down and all of the exploring along the way!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 09:18 AM

bon voyage...or now it is...buen viaje! keep in touch

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ColdinCalgary  

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Since it's your first time down, spend the night at shari's in Asuncion. She can fill you on on things and you'll have a great time making friends….. Check out her websites for more info.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 11:48 AM

Number one thing to know about driving in Baja: there are speed bumps anywhere and they don't care if it rips off the undercarriage of your car. You said you're driving a 4x4 so I assume it has decent clearance. But slow down ALL the way, they're usually at the start and end of every built-up place and they're not always marked or even painted. Look for a tire shop, they're usually right near the "topes". :biggrin:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-11-2015 at 07:42 PM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.