Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tunaeater and Family trip to Baja
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 01:36 PM
Tunaeater and Family trip to Baja

July 2015

My wife Karla and two boys JP and JC loaded up the F-150 and were ready to begin our adventure down Baja. We were one truck out of four that would meet up in San Ignacio and continue down to Loreto. A Summer vacation to celebrate my son JP's and my birthdays. We started our Baja trip on my son Juan Pablo's birthday Friday July 10th. Crossed the border at San Ysidro 5:15 am. Our destination this day was San Ignacio 530 miles South of Tijuana, reservations were made at la huerta hotel behind the mission. We made good time and didn't have any issues on the way down. Made the drive in 11 hours. Stopped by the lonchera Descanso between El Rosario and Cantavina for breakfast burritos to go. They were out of machaca but the egg&ham and bean burritos were excellent and only $15 pesos each. Arriving in SI we stopped by the river and the mission for some photos.

At la huerta hotel ($650 a double) in San Ignacio we checked in and waited for friends and family that were coming in from the hwy 5 side of the peninsula.. The hotel was recommended by TW and it was very comfortable, new and they provided excellent service. Fresh coffee in the morning and plenty of bottled water. The wifi worked in the office but not in the rooms. The court yard was a nice gathering spot with shade tees and tables and chairs. Kids finished watching team USA game in the copa de oro.

Dinner that night was at Ay Chipotle in the town square with a great setting with the mission in sight and all the tress and sounds of the birds. However the food was not as good as the atmosphere it was actually pretty bad. Most had carne asada which was fried in a pan and tasty pretty bad. My son had the chicken fajitas which were good but they need to figure out the carne.

Saturday morning I noticed my rear passenger tire low on air and knew I had an issue. I pumped it up and packed up the truck but wanted to get some breakfast before dealing with it. To our surprise we didn't find any restaurants open while walking through town about 8:00 am. We decided to hit the road and find breakfast and a llantera in Santa Rosalia
My wife and kids jumped in my dads truck and went to breakfast while I got the tire fixed.

The llantera found there were two holes caused by picking up a screw along the way. They patched them up and remounted the tire and reinstalled on my truck. The bill was $50 pesos, unbelievable. I kicked him down a nice tip and an ice cold sports drink and he went back to work on another vehicle.

We found a restaurant in SR and it was delicious.

Hitting the road we were off to Mulege and Southbound. We stopped in Conception bay to let the boys swim and get to know the area.

Arriving in Loreto we stopped in town to purchase some groceries at Ley and meet up with a friend of mine. We arrived at our hotel Villa del Palmar South of town . Nice resort with modern and new amenities and appliances.Many pools and gathering spots, it was very nice. Wifi worked on the balcony and common areas but not in the room. We took a nice kayak tour which included snorkeling and enjoyed the amenities they had to offer..

We took a drive up to San Javier Mission, the road was in good shape with just one small part of repair going on.

We fished 7/13 & 7/16 with Manuel Torres out of Juncalito. I've fished with many captains and Manuel stacks right up there with the best of them. He was very friendly and really set us up for success. He was very patient with the kids and ensured they were successful in hooking and landing their fish. He did an awesome job bleeding the fish immediately after they were gaffed and tail wrapped them to the side of the boat until they bled out. The fish were then immediately placed in a kill bag with blocks of ice. These steps are necessary to preserve the freshness of the meat and not spoil. The yellowtail were deep 200-250 ft deep. We fished with live and dead mackerel which we purchased for $1 each. We fished two days and caught 6 yellowtail to 40lbs each day along with a snapper and too many bonita. A blessing to fish with three generations on one boat.

Shark came right up to the boat and I was able to get a good picture

Manuel Torres took us island hoping and snorkeling one day.

We did some exploring and hiking around the mountain next to the hotel. This led us down to a nice snorkeling and shore fishing spot. We caught some small grouper needle fish with freshwater Rapalas. We saw octopus, eels and tons of fish
20150717_141736.jpg

The drive home was uneventful with a stop at Mama Espinosa's for dinner .We made good time to San Quintin where we would spend the night at Los Jardines another little baja treasure. The big room (room 12) upstairs was $ 700 pesos. We saw some friends at the bar there so that was a special surprise. I loved having a morning coffee in the garden with all the birds very peaceful and beautiful

The clam shack South of Loreto on the beach was a great place to eat clams, they were excellent both raw and cooked. One night they cooked our yellowtail three different ways with a few plates of sashimi. Sand floor and kids can fish before and after dinner.

Magna Sin was 13.57 a litter and we received 15.11 pesos to $1 at the casa de cambio in San Ysidro before crossing

Military check points were all polite and professional, though a couple searched the inside of the vehicle they never opened any bags or storage containers in the bed of the truck.

Total trip was 10 days and 1650 miles

Truly a great vacation and time well spent with family and friends.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 01:55 PM

Looks like a killer trip - I'll bet the boys are ready to go back to Baja NOW! Thanks for sharing!

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 04:05 PM

Looks like a great family trip!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 04:06 PM

Making memories! :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 05:01 PM

Thanks TMW!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 05:42 PM

What a big group! Thanks for sharing all the details for those who are going soon. Next time you go to san Ignacio, stop by Ignacio springs inn and reserve breakfast for the next day! I cant remember how much they charge, but Gary makes his own sausages, they have homemade bread and jams.....their breakfast is EXCELLENT, and they can easily handle larger groups.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 08:37 PM

What an excellent trip report. Thanks for the photos. You inspired me to maybe hit Loreto when I'm down there. Thanks.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 08:49 PM

We also thought Ay Chipotle had a fabulous setting and looked forward to eating there. The food was really dreadful. Days old fish cooked poorly. Avoid this place.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bmurphy

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 08:15 AM

Awesome! I'm absolutely loving this board because of reports like this. My first trip to the Baja is a week away and I can't stop reading everyones trip log and photos.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 08:25 AM

what a great old fashion trip report (not just a link!) Love the pics and good info on wifi. There are some good lookin yellowtail there all right! The stuff memories are made of for those kids for sure.

I want one of those bike blenders!!!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 09:01 AM

Awesome ! Thanks for taking us along :cool:
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 03:02 PM

Great Adventures for all! Juncalito Fishing ...awesome, even if for just a roundabout to the Islands and coves. How much for a days trip? Thanks. Tio
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 06:11 PM

Great trip report. Kids will remember this forever.
Also shows off our Loreto as a great visiting spot . One of the jewels on the peninsula.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 09:16 PM

Nice trip report! Thanks for posting!
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 09:59 AM

Great trip report and photos Paul. Please say hello to your Dad for me. Rob
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 01:38 PM

What a trip and report. Thanks for teaching the younger ones about the wonders of Baja.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 02:54 PM

Superb trip report. Looks like you had some of the best ever family bonding!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 05:01 PM

Really enjoyed the report and the photos. Looked like a great trip.

I do have a couple of questions.

When you were at the Villa resort, was it busy? I've read that they are have trouble getting people to it.

Second, when you mentioned on your trip home that you had dinner at Mama Espinosa's, was it on a Monday? I ask because since you went North to stay at Jardines, the Jardines restaurant is so much better than Mama's, except they are close on Monday.
Gracias.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 08:19 AM

Yes we stayed at Villa del Palmar South of Loreto. I would guess it was probably 45-55% occupied (just a guess). They said it only gets full during Semana Santa time. It is a beautiful resort and very modern, the staff is super friendly. I wuld definitely like to return.

We love Jardines, great food and staff, we usually have them cook our fish for us when we are fishing SQ. We did go visit the bar for a couple hours while watching the Padres game and visiting some friends that happened to be there on an off-road ride.

We wanted to try the lobster burritos Mama Espinosa's is famous for and show the kids all the cool baja moto stuff in the restaurant. It's a place where baja moto legends have signed there jerseys and posters up on the walls. One of Tim Morton's NORRA race bikes is in there. Unfortunately the famous lobster burritos will have to wait because they are only served during season which starts in September.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 08:35 AM

GREAT report!!!
We were a few days behind you guys on some of the same roads.
Thank you Paul... and thanks to TW for posting!
La Huerta was indeed a good motel with very comfortable beds and walking distance to the mission and plaza.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.