Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: La Paz Hotels
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 12:01 AM

There is a large hotel at the opposite end of the malecon from el moro and it has been boarded up and shutdown for a while now. Not sure if it is the same one?

This is what I found on Humperdinck and the La Paz Hotel:

Engelbert sets record straight about stolen Hotel

Mar 25, 2007, 9:46 PM

Legendary singer, Dr. Engelbert Humperdinck, (that is no typo error either)….. proudly earned a Doctor of Music degree and highly publicized respect in January, 2006 from University of Leicester in his hometown in England. Celebrating his 40th year in the entertainment field this year, unfortunately also has him in a “non party” mood at the moment denying “Please Release Me”…only not in song but in court. In September, 2004, his Hotel La Posada de Engelbert in LaPaz was overtaken by someone claiming ownership to the property, which is said to be worth in the millions of dollars. Dr. Humperdinck was not present at the hotel at the time when Eddie Ogden, of Ogden-Gutierrez Real Estate, entered the property with law enforcement beside him and a document claiming he was the owner. I don’t think Mexico knows what the term “grace period” means, as Engelbert’s partners, present at the time, and all of their belongings were literally put out on the street beside the hotel. A legal battle has since ensued, but as of late, it was announced that Mr. Ogden/Gutierrez is about to try and capitalize on his threatening and menacing moments of seize. Most likely realizing the charms of LaPaz would soon to be flourishing, he has engaged in tearing down the historical hotel this June and building a five star hotel high-rise in it’s place. Odd that slick “Eddie” waited until 2004 to make his move, as Engelbert legally purchased the property in 1990 only not for money, but for what LaPaz stands for….”peace”…a hideaway giving him a well deserved break from time to time away from the spotlight. Dr. Humperdinck intends to take this matter to the highest court and rest assured, he is not prepared to lose his voice.

---------------------------------------------------------

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 06:27 AM

Humperdinck's place.
We've stayed there several times in the 90's Wasn't much choice for reasonable rooms in those days that were halfway decent. A teardown wouldn't be a great loss for the city. Really not too impressive!!

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 07:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
There is a large hotel at the opposite end of the malecon from el moro and it has been boarded up and shutdown for a while now. Not sure if it is the same one?

Thanks BajaBlanca and vandenberg. BajaBlanca it's at the south end of town, near the marina (see arrow):

[Edited on 7-25-2015 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 7-25-2015 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
Humperdinck's place.
We've stayed there several times in the 90's Wasn't much choice for reasonable rooms in those days that were halfway decent. A teardown wouldn't be a great loss for the city. Really not too impressive!!

Agree vandenberg. It was nothing special, I just got to know it because that's where the old dive boat Baja Explorador would book us for the first and last nights of the trips. Still, some good memories.

carpe diem!
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 04:37 PM

If you like ribs then go to JR's BBQ ribs... block up off the malecon. If you need an address I have it ... good ribs, and the price is really good..

also we stay at Casa Buena a mile or so before the malecon, nice small pool, community room, and large gated wall around it...
They also have rooms with a kitchen if you need a longer term... Nice folks... easy access anywhere in town by taxi or your own car..
Just an alternative that we like and have had good luck with..

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 08:23 AM

The new Hyatt Place in Costa Baja is nice and cheap. The best restaurant Azul is in the Marina and with other options. For $67 per night including breakfast is a deal.

Make it a Great Day!!
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions but I stayed at Hyatt Place next to Costa Baja. It is a GREAT HOTEL! $80.00 per night and the excellent breakfast is free. It is a little drive to town where I was working but the Assistant manager gave me a ride in the Hyatt Shuttle and drove me back to the hotel.

Everyone was really nice at the hotel and the room was fantastic for 80... If I go back I will for sure stay there.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 12:21 AM

great choice of hotel! And the Azul is one of our very favorite restaurants too!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.