BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: To Baja California Sur: JULY 2015 (MANY PHOTOS)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
For me at least, the most thorough inspection I went through with three trips to La Paz over three years, was at Gonzaga! (includes US as well) This was just before thanksgiving 2014 headed north.

They weren't messing with me, it was polite, professional, and even friendly, but thorough! One of the soldiers even volunteered to hold my dog's leash while I dug into the trailer.

I wish I had a picture of that, a soldier with an M-16 on his shoulder holding my 15 year old dog on a short leash like she was part of the search team! Oh, by the way, she did not find anything for them.

Sorry for the hijack Dave, now back to your trip!

[Edited on 8-4-2015 by AKgringo]

No problema AKgringo... I am done with the trip report, so any related sidebars are fine...

Gonzaga has been maybe the most detailed Baja Norte searches for us, at least when it was a dirt road... as if they are bored and we are drive up entertainment? They always wanted to see my driver's license, or a passport works too (to spell my name right, not that either of those IDs are 'needed' by the military, anywhere).

Last week, I think we were asked to get out of the Tacoma, but real briefly.

[Edited on 8-4-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 09:22 PM

Nice photo essay DK. Thanks for the ride along.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 07:26 AM

David K, did you ever read the trip report on RDC by Kent Kroeker regarding the planting of a Military Ammunition round in his truck? Very scary !!!

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/mexico-warning-mili...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 08:38 AM

Not before this morning. Thanks for the link.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 11:02 AM

I was very lucky one trip to Baja a few years ago.

During this trip we went through six different military checkpoints and spent a week down South. After crossing the border back in the US we hit a fast food drive thru. I dropped some change in the truck and my son took off his seat belt, got on the floor and began looking for the change.

What he found while down on the floor was six rounds of 12 gauge shot. We all looked at each other like WTF!!! My heart started racing and beating like crazy knowing what could of happened had these been found while traveling in Baja.

I'm usually very thorough inspecting,cleaning my truck before our trips but somehow missed this ammo. We had been hunting upland game the weekend before this trip and some of the rounds must have fallen on the floor without us noticing. Anyway lesson learned for me to double, triple check especially during bird season.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2015 at 08:04 AM

Funny what they miss, or in your case lucky!!!

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-5-2015 at 09:49 AM

David,
Thanks for sharing your trip with us....

I was eager to take the bait on the "experience"....but was a bit disappointed with the drama :biggrin: ....as I was expecting a stolen vehicle, assault, robbery, or serious carnitas poisoning :lol:

One young soldier at the checkpoint north of San Felipe (going north) checked my truck w/ moto in back....he held a long wire that looked a lot like a straightened close hanger and was enjoying inserting it in the stake holes in the box, in the window slot in the doors, and in various openings behind the seats....each time pulling it out slowly and sniffing the end of the wire ....and looking at me with a smile.....

Perhaps he was waiting to see the terror in my eyes....but I just watched him, smiled back, and waited out his game.....we both had a little fun.

I guess if a person has seeds in their truck SOB, it means they are burning low-quality evidence....sin semilla is better for such basura being left behind ...at least that's what I have been told :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
JohnK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2015 at 06:23 PM

What a great trip report, David. Well-written and with great photographs! My wife and I both have read it thoroughly. Your inspection experience was awful. A point that I think needs to be made is that for Baja newbies, an experience like that is a deal-breaker. I don't know how many people I've told about our wonderful Baja experiences, only to hear a story similar to yours. And they don't go back. Anyway: Thanks for your wonderful report.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-5-2015 at 07:29 PM

Was the guy still living in the sailboat in front of alfonsinas ?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 02:48 AM

scary story about the military checkpoint. not a joking matter at all!

thanks for sharing the joys and the sorrows.....great tale,
great photos.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Pablito1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 07:16 AM

About 20 years ago my wife and I were headed south and were stopped at the check point at Maneadero. After checking us out and being waved through we traveled a few minutes and I just happened to look on the left corner of the dash. There in plane sight was one of those ammo folders to carry rifle ammo. Inside were five 22/250 and five 300 mag cartridges. We both almost had a heart attack.

Needless to say this "contrabando" was dumped pronto.

Regards, Pablo
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaandy  
Nice photo essay DK. Thanks for the ride along.

De nada Andy!

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,
Thanks for sharing your trip with us....

You're welcome Ged!

Quote: Originally posted by JohnK  
What a great trip report, David. Well-written and with great photographs! My wife and I both have read it thoroughly. Your inspection experience was awful. A point that I think needs to be made is that for Baja newbies, an experience like that is a deal-breaker. I don't know how many people I've told about our wonderful Baja experiences, only to hear a story similar to yours. And they don't go back. Anyway: Thanks for your wonderful report.

I am so glad you both enjoy the details! It makes the note taking well worth it. Fun for me to document my trips and maybe useful for others to read how far, how long, how much, etc.

I also like to capture areas that were photo graphed many years ago and try and spot growth of cardons and boojums. You can pick out a couple changes in the pictures taken at El Portezuelo (south of Chapala) since the photos we took there in July, 1973!

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Was the guy still living in the sailboat in front of alfonsinas ?

Hi Ed, nobody said anything to us about any guy on a sailboat. We just had our dinner and beers there.

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
scary story about the military checkpoint. not a joking matter at all!

thanks for sharing the joys and the sorrows.....great tale,
great photos.

Thanks Blanca! Are you guys in Europe still? You have been posting some great photos!

Quote: Originally posted by Pablito1  
About 20 years ago my wife and I were headed south and were stopped at the check point at Maneadero. After checking us out and being waved through we traveled a few minutes and I just happened to look on the left corner of the dash. There in plane sight was one of those ammo folders to carry rifle ammo. Inside were five 22/250 and five 300 mag cartridges. We both almost had a heart attack.

Needless to say this "contrabando" was dumped pronto.

Regards, Pablo

Just to be clear, it was your ammo and not left there by the military at a checkpoint, right?

Pablito1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 10:08 PM

David,
For sure it was mine. I somehow just didn't see it. That is the kind of mistake that you don't want to make but I did.

Regards, Pablo
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 11:32 PM

Lucky are you Pablo, lucky are you... ;)

4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 11:41 PM

When we drove south years ago, stopping as one must, at the Eagle/Aguila statue which straddles the north/south Baja border, I tried to take pix but the soldados came running with guns in hands, saying, no photos, it's a military outpost, not just a unique statue. Is that still true or have they relaxed a bit? They examined our car by opening our books and maps and all pockets in the car. Dummy us didn't understand they wanted a tip. Folks later said to leave the travel book on the seat with a 20 peso bill sticking out to make them happy. Is that still going on, too?

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 11:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4Cata  
When we drove south years ago, stopping as one must, at the Eagle/Aguila statue which straddles the north/south Baja border, I tried to take pix but the soldados came running with guns in hands, saying, no photos, it's a military outpost, not just a unique statue. Is that still true or have they relaxed a bit? They examined our car by opening our books and maps and all pockets in the car. Dummy us didn't understand they wanted a tip. Folks later said to leave the travel book on the seat with a 20 peso bill sticking out to make them happy. Is that still going on, too?

While the middle of the traffic circle around the monument was converted into a military base (instead of a museum and a future agricultural city center, as originally planned), I have never seen troops, nor can you with the walls and trees that make seeing the impressive monument most difficult today.

NEVER, never bribe anyone in Mexico... that's just dumb and makes them think we are just easy or stupid, and will encourage them to expect that kind of behavior from the rest of us.

30 years or more ago, we would ask the policeman if he could pay the ticket for us, if we were pulled over for breaking a law, in order to avoid a detour to the police station to pay it there. That was never more than $20, and I think I did that just twice in my life? Now-a-days, if you did break the law, go to the station, the fines are way smaller than in the U.S.. If you didn't and the cop is trying to scare you with talk of jail time, etc., call his bluff and insist on seeing the judge! He will let you go or pull over enroute to the station, and return your license... and seek easier prey!

4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 12:00 AM

Loved your report and photos. Really, really sorry about the fire ants. Have had a similar experience. Do you think a class C rv could make most of the trip? I'm headed down from San Felipe to Mulege at least in November, definitely want to include San Ignacio.

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 12:41 AM

I cannot recommend any motorhome or trailer (other than off road cargo trailers) between Coco's Corner and Hwy. 1 (13 miles). Actually, the 10 dirt miles north of Coco's should be avoided, as there is construction and detours are possible. Not that it needs 4WD, but that the roadbed is VERY rocky (south of Coco's)... and you would need to just drive so slow.
Sorry, go light and camp or use motels if you want to do Hwy. 5 to the south.

Even in my Off Road TRD Tacoma with new rear suspension, I had to drop to 10-20 mph for much of that section. 36 minutes to go 13 roughest miles. It was an hour and twenty minutes for the entire 23 dirt miles drive.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 07:18 PM

I didnīt think that short stretch of gravel road was that bad. I saw a number of passenger cars doing it. This was around the same time as you. Of course this was after doing the La Paz-Punta Evaristo-Ciudad Constitucion then the El Arco-San Francisquito-Bahia de LA routes:cool:.

I wouldnīt hesitate with a trailer or Motorhome if properly outfitted (tires). Its a very short stretch and there are lots of vehicles and people around for help if needed.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 07:32 PM

People have been saying to go slow for a year now (at least on other baja news sites). There is a lot of traffic including cars and semi's. It is well traveled but rough.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.