Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hyder, AK motorcycle trip
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 12:35 PM
Hyder, AK motorcycle trip

We just completed our annual MC trip, this year to Hyder AK. About 2500 miles one way from San Diego. There are four of us who do this trip each summer, this is our 4th trip in a row.

We went up through Bend and on up to the WA border on 97, then followed the Columbia River to Portland and up 5 to cross at Sumas, just east of Vancouver. It was hot in WA this year making BC a welcome relief with its cooler temps.

We lucked out in missing any delays due to fires, only seeing some isolated fires on the peaks as we journeyed through Fraser River Canyon.

After 6 days from leaving my house we arrived in Stewart, BC/Hyder, AK. The day we arrived was the only day for a week with some afternoon sun and very little rain. We wasted no time checking in and heading out to see the Salmon Glacier. This involves 20 miles of unpaved road going from sea level to nearly 4000 ft. A bit of a challenge riding the 625# road bike that I was on. My travel companions all have mid weight Adventure Bikes.

Salmon Glacier is unique in that your viewpoint is looking down rather than looking up from the toe. Highly recommend doing this trip. Most any 4 wheel vehicle with some ground clearance can make this trip.

Other than that afternoon it rained the three days we were there. Don't miss the Seafood Express restaurant for the fresh catch of the day, ours being halibut and sockeye salmon.
Stewart/Hyder was the local for the Robin Williams movie Insomnia by the way.

We backtracked to Prince George and struck out for Whistler, BC and the ferry crossing to Vancouver Island. Spent a few days there and ferried to Port Angeles in WA to travel down the west coast back home.

An Epic trip I have to say, Hyder,AK being everything and more than I expected it to be.

Thanks to Motoged for tips on camping spots around Whistler, sorry we didn't get to meet up this year.

Lee Vining Creek, my favorite camping spot the first night north from home.

sunset at campground first night in BC

map of BC showing Stewart, BC some 800 road miles from the US border.

Bear Glacier near Stewart/Hyder

Fellow rider from Mexico outside our hotel in Stewart, he rode further than I did to get there!

our first view of the Salmon Glacier

Salmon Glacier

our restaurant choice for the two nights

main street of Stewart

Nairn Falls Provincial Park, BC, the crew

view of the Green River, adjacent to our campground

Rain Forest near Tofino, BC

Thanks for looking!

[Edited on 8-14-2015 by tripledigitken]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 12:38 PM

Great pics....sounds like a good ride....thanks

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 01:15 PM

Man! That brings back some good memories!!! Love that place...You didn't mention getting Hyderized????? BMW R100RS

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 01:28 PM

Awesome pics. Absolutely beautiful.

A couple of weeks ago I came back from a trip on my GSA from LA to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. I saw the Stewart/Hyder cutoff, but made a right and headed to Dawson City, Yukon. Then on to Fairbanks, Deadhorse, Denali, Kennecott, Valdez, Whittier, Homer, Seward, and ended the trip in Anchorage. There were some side adventures here and there, too. It's a beautiful country.

[Edited on 8-7-2015 by BigBearRider]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
...You didn't mention getting Hyderized????? BMW R100RS

short answer.......we didn't have a designated driver.

The agents at the Canadian Border Crossing were having a good time with the motorcyclists crossing back into Stewart. One even asked if we had been to the Glacier Inn, where you get "Hyderized". Not wanting the drama that a Breathalyzer would bring, we stuck to beers the following day rather than the shot of everclear.

Thanks for the comments!

[Edited on 8-7-2015 by tripledigitken]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 04:36 PM

Thanks much ... :):)
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 04:36 PM

Hyderized:

I’ve never been much of a drinker. I much prefer downing a Coca-Cola to a beer and when I do drink I tend to go from zero to sick way before the point of actually getting inebriated. And don’t get me started on shots and that one time that I took one and threw up on a bar table in college. Is that a little TMI for a travel blog? Possibly. But I swear I have a point here…

You see, when I was told that one of the number one things to do in Hyder, Alaska — the initiation into the entire Hyder experience, if you will — was down to a shot of 150 proof alcohol, I was torn between my desire to experience everything possible when travelling and my desire to not vomit on a table.

They call it getting “Hyderized” and the place to do it is the Glacier Inn, the first bar on the left you’ll see when entering into Alaska.

The Glacier Inn is a rather unassuming Bar, nearly empty as we entered except for a table of people eating lunch. The walls were plastered with signed dollars from Canada and the US and other places in the world. Somewhere between $20 and $60 thousand adorned the wall. There were also signed life preservers and signed construction hats and taxidermied animals decorating every square surface of the walls. There were cans of Budweiser and Clamato in the fridge.

We walked into the bar with my traveling companions and three of the four of us asked to get Hyderized. The bartender started to pour what looked like half a glass of liquid. Luckily it was just water, but the actual shot didn’t look to be much less.

Before handing us our shots of 150 proof everclear she explained the rules to us:

No smelling.

No tasting.

It has to be downed in one go.

If you don’t finish or (as they would say in competitive eating) have a reversal we’d have to buy for the lunch of the occupied table and would not receive our certificate of achievement.

With that we grabbed our glasses, toasted each other, and took it down the hatch.

I’m not going to lie. It burned and felt like hell. My throat felt like it was simultaneously expanding and contracting, burning and frostbitten. But maybe that’s just me.

I chased it with my water and then ordered up a Coke.

As clumsily as I took it though, I took it. I took it in one go (well, one go enough) and I managed to keep it down (well, for at least a half an hour…) and that is what matters.

The bartender turned our empty shot glasses upside down and lit the droplets that remained on fire setting the bar to a beautiful blue blaze. She then presented us with our official certificates, dated and initialed, which we signed to verify that we had, in fact, been Hyderized.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 04:43 PM

"I wanna get chocolate-[Hyderized]."
-Grown Ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFGqx7i1MdQ

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 04:51 PM

Last time I was in Hyder, it was a family thing, and I try not to hurl in front of my sons.

This July in Anchorage has been about the most pleasant weather I have seen in the thirty five years I have been here.

Tough fire season though, last I heard,4.7 million acres have burned! The peak of fire season is over though, and most fires are so remote there is no attempt to fight them.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 05:25 PM

The firefighters had set up command central at the UA dorms in Fairbanks. I took a picture of map showing all the active fires. There were several hundreds of them. There were some fires leaving Fairbanks on the way to the Dalton Highway. Coming back, it was pretty smoky from Coldfoot to Fairbanks.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 06:15 PM

TripleD,

Good post! I got the Hyderized card somewhere around here, but haven't seen it for years.

Guess it's time to go back for a renewal!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 06:53 PM
Scary job!

Driving the snow plow that clears the road into Hyder must be terrifying! I drove in there in the spring of 1989 and looked at the rubble and blown down trees from that year's avalanches (my winter job included avalanche control)

That canyon is high enough to catch a lot of snow, and steep and narrow enough that in some places the sllde runs across the road and river and part way up the opposite side.

No thanks.....I would rather be on top with a pack full of explosives!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 06:59 PM

Excellent.

Was born and raised in Sitka and always stopped by Stewart and Hyder when having the chance to do the 'alcan"
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 08:10 PM

Are you kidding me!!!???!!!!???

I love AK.

Thanks Ken.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 04:26 AM

Great pics and RR, Thanks!
I go up every year, and Hyder, Bear and Salmon Glacier are on the top of my list, the ride into Hyder/Stewart is one of the most scenic roads in BC.
I went up this year too early to view the Grizzly at fish creek
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 07:48 AM

As always Ken, great fotos. Thanks!
I like the aspen sticker, my home for 10 years.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 09:10 AM

outstanding Ken!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2015 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  

Great pics and RR, Thanks!
I go up every year, and Hyder, Bear and Salmon Glacier are on the top of my list, the ride into Hyder/Stewart is one of the most scenic roads in BC.
I went up this year too early to view the Grizzly at fish creek

The brown bears were just starting to show up while we were there though in small numbers. We only saw one. The chum were just starting their run. Late August seems to produce the best chance of sightings according to the ranger.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2015 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Last time I was in Hyder, it was a family thing, and I try not to hurl in front of my sons.

This July in Anchorage has been about the most pleasant weather I have seen in the thirty five years I have been here.

Tough fire season though, last I heard,4.7 million acres have burned! The peak of fire season is over though, and most fires are so remote there is no attempt to fight them.

Luckily these were the only fires we saw, in the Fraser River Canyon.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-9-2015 at 09:15 PM
Great post and pics

Its like stepping back in Time....me and my sis had a shot and then made the mistake of buying a bottle !! Yikes !! I still have the pain .....Thanks
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.