Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wales (not whales!!!) - Lampeter and Aberystwyth
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 02:04 PM
Wales (not whales!!!) - Lampeter and Aberystwyth

We are in one of my favorite countries - I love the sheep, I love the green, I love the hills.....and the mystery that seems to be around every village.

Here we are leaving Baltonsborough in Somerset (southern England) in the morning. Who do we meet up with? Some cows that a farmer is moving. They take a look at us and turn around towards their owner. They turn towards us and Les turns the motor off. Only someone who grew up on a farm would know to do that:

This one let out a loud MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to show her discontent!

This is the TOR -famous for its age and history, happens to be located right next to the farm we stay at in Somerset:

Bridge that links this part of England to Wales:

We went to a very old PUB with family who live in southern Wales:

It was a Sunday, so we all ate the traditional British Sunday Roast- was I ever happy eating a thanksgiving dinner in August!!!!

close by was the church where Les baptized one of his nieces:

I must say - the shape is very different:

Right across from the church is this amazing PUB:

and this view is why I so love Wales:

About 2 hours later, we arrive in Aberystwyth and stop by a store to get some groceries to share with family we shall visit (read beer and wine). Look what we find:

The window at the top right is our room for two days - quiet and sleepy welsh town, this is area where Les moved to at age 14:

We went visiting all the local towns today:

Can anyone tell me what it is? Seen in an antique store:

Sure wish I understood a little Welsh but that is NOT happening:

This picture was in Lloyds where we had lunch - it is a photo of the town full of horses for sale. Amazing:

We are here with Les's Polish cousin, who married his best friend, and they have lived here all their lives. Due to the recent influx of many many MANY Poles, look what one can now find!

And that brings this travel report to an end. Wales is as green as it gets. Dragons are absolutely everywhere - which means lots of pride. The Poles have been here in this particular village since the war.....doctors, lawyers, engineers who did not have the language skills to do their profession went into farming.

Les's cousin did a history of Poles who settled in Cardinhamshire (sp) presentation which is showing locally but we have to leave tomorrow and wont be able to see it. Really a pity.

Tomorrow we move onto a new part of Wales to visit another cousin.

Cheerio, mates!

SCROLL DOWN FOR PICS OF ABERYSTWYTH

[Edited on 8-10-2015 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 8-12-2015 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 02:43 PM

WOW...great photos. Makes me want to visit there.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 02:47 PM

Nice! Good job with naming this thread, too! LOL:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 02:36 PM

HERE IS THE SECOND TOWN:

Next visit I want to spend more time here....very charming vacation town with tons of bustling stores. Old buildings galore!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 03:49 PM

Lip licking vs. finger licking, eh?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.