BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Moving back to US-What's the best way?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2015 at 11:51 AM

From my experience - things that you own and need now (or think that you need), become mostly useless when you change the habitat THAT much.

Leaving things of "sentimental value" aside, there is no way to predict what is worth taking. What's worse is that even those of "sentimental value" often become meaningless or annoying after you've moved. You want your life magically copy-pasted to a new and different place - sorry, doesn't happen.
mmmexico

[*] posted on 8-14-2015 at 12:07 PM

Let me try to respond and give an update. Yes...we have a significant amount of stuff. My wife is an artist and has a lot of art equipment/supplies as well as musical instruments, audio equipment and a couple of computers. I have a 600 sq.ft.garage which houses five motorcycles (which I have restored down here) and quite a lot of tools, racks to store supplies, and a hydraulic lift so I can work on my bikes without crawling on my belly like a reptile. Yes...we seem to require more than a blender to mix margaritas in order to stay active and engaged in our respective lives.

I am not looking forward to traveling the baja peninsula multiple times in a box van in order to move all of our stuff...seems problematical to be driving many thousands of miles in a loaded older truck across a very hot desert....I may very well elect not to do that primarily due to mechanical uncertainty, I am also concerned about our passage through the border...There are forms that permit a citizen returning to the United States with personally owned "household items" to pass through duty and hassle free...but who knows...may be this passage is best left to professionals.

ACV does offer a moving service and it appears that they will move all of my stuff to San Diego for abt $11,000...this is their cost for a 52ft.truck...I probably do not need anything that large...we will see.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. My options are growning and my thoughts are evolving...thanks again..

Mike
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2015 at 08:41 AM

With a 600 sf garage and a house full of stuff I would be surprised if you could get all that stuff into one 52' truck. You can see your stuff and I can't so I am sure you know best. I have no experience with what you are trying to do so all I can do is wish you luck.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.