BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico crossing will require showing documentation.....
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2015 at 09:41 PM
Mexico crossing will require showing documentation.....

next year.

I have read many articles about the fact that Mexico is going to start requiring showing paperwork when entering Mexico.

While crossing at Calexico East yesterday, we were pulled over for the normal check because we have a big truck with a camper shell.

The guy I got spoke perfect english and from what I can tell here is what will be going on.

Papers are only needed if you travel 20KM south of the border. If you need to go further south than that, you will need a visa. He told me that 7 days will be free and anything past that will be $25.

He also made it sound like the check points will be at the 20KM point and ot at the border.

I hope that is correct, it will be much easier to get through south of Mexicali than to get stopped at the border.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-16-2015 at 04:02 AM

Sounds similar to the setup south of Nogales, Sonora.

But at our "K21" there are still no agents on the highway from INM that check to make sure you have the proper immigration papers. You are expected to voluntarily pull into the INM/Aduana facility and procure them. But it is very easy to simply drive past this.

There is an Aduana checkpoint before this on either the free or toll road, coming south, but they have NEVER asked for any kind of immigration permit to be in the country.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-16-2015 at 08:35 AM

The question is, when will Mexico come into the 21st century and issue visas online? Heck, if Argentina can do it, so can Mexico. And while theyr'e at it, how about issuing it for 10 years...or at least for something more than they do now?

To put it in perspective, Argentina is so monitarially corrupt, no one here in the USA will buy back my leftover pesos. Yet, they have the ability to allow anyone to fill out forms, make secure payments, and print out the official visa from anyplace with an Internet connection.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-16-2015 at 09:41 AM

The question is, when will Mexico come into the 21st century and issue visas online? Heck, if Argentina can do it, so can Mexico. And while theyr'e at it, how about issuing it for 10 years...or at least for something more than they do now?

To put it in perspective, Argentina is so monitarially corrupt, no one here in the USA will buy back my leftover pesos. Yet, they have the ability to allow anyone to fill out forms, make secure payments, and print out the official visa from anyplace with an Internet connection.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-16-2015 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
next year.

I have read many articles about the fact that Mexico is going to start requiring showing paperwork when entering Mexico.

While crossing at Calexico East yesterday, we were pulled over for the normal check because we have a big truck with a camper shell.

The guy I got spoke perfect english and from what I can tell here is what will be going on.

Papers are only needed if you travel 20KM south of the border. If you need to go further south than that, you will need a visa. He told me that 7 days will be free and anything past that will be $25.

He also made it sound like the check points will be at the 20KM point and ot at the border.

I hope that is correct, it will be much easier to get through south of Mexicali than to get stopped at the border.

Sounds like a bit more enforcement, but otherwise rules about the same as before. What's the concern? Don't worry, be happy!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-16-2015 at 03:01 PM

Last month at the INM office at the downtown Mexicali border crossing, I asked about the need for a tourist card just for San Felipe and was told yes, but up to 7 days is free... Basically the same story.

Not one other American came into that office in the 20 some minutes we were there, yet a hundred + vehicles came in behind us and kept driving... all for just Mexicali only??? I doubt it!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2015 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Taco de Baja  

when will Mexico come into the 21st century and issue visas online?

In a very narrow way they have, this is only
for sportfishing,
generally for San Diego fisherman fishing in Mex waters so.
of San Diego. An fmm good for one entry/day is sold online
thru the Mex fisheries site, $23 dlls, HIGHLY enforced. So they do have
the tech to support an online program.
Correction, I meant to say this fmm is issued by Mex Imm, obviously no stamping or validation at border, good for the date entered on
online form. Seems an online. 180 day fmm would benefit the
tourist as well as Mex Imm as I would assume they would get
a good deal of compliance

[Edited on 8-17-2015 by sancho]
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2015 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
next year.

Sounds like a bit more enforcement, but otherwise rules about the same as before. What's the concern? Don't worry, be happy!

Not worried, I am a resident, but glad to know that the stop will be once in country and not at the border. Imagine the length of time it would take to stop at the border to get papers checked!!! Also, glad that a one week visa is free. Mexico doesn't need any other reasons for folks to not come south of the border.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 8-17-2015 at 08:20 AM

We have heard that even with an RT or RP card you are still supposed to get an FMM each time you cross the border. Any comments on that?

[Edited on 8-17-2015 by ncampion]

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 8-17-2015 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You must be a pilot?? LOL

RT= ?
TO= ?
FUN= ?

For us old folks, please! :light::biggrin:

Auto complete,,,,. Uggg...........

RT = Residente Temporal
RP = Residente Permanente
FMM = sell, you know that one

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 10:23 PM

Now that SY is going to be officially checking all people walking as of wed. Well I have the issue of I am flying up to TJ this week. And figures am going to be walking back to catch my plane. Was wondering about the multiple entries on a tourist visa within the 180 day issue.. As many have stated in other threads it is not multiple entry. And since this is a new state of the art first of its kind facility, I assume it will be more by the book than normal.

On the bus to the TJ airport at the chaparral crossing it is very formal too. You depart the bus and all your luggage is scanned even if you do not hit the red light. If you hit the red it is also hand inspected.

Anyone have any updates on what they will or will not be doing at the walking crossing as a tourist visa holder.

I was actually going to stay in TJ for a few days of the trip and walk across the border shop in the USA and come back with items. Kinda the reverse everyone else does it. It also makes it so much easier for the day I return back to LaPaz because the flight is early and hard to logistically get to via mass transit. The new Otay walkway may solve this issue, I am assuming there will be car rentals right there for reasonable rates, well I hope.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-22-2015 at 11:39 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.