BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question: Canada direct to Baja California Norte?
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 05:28 PM
Question: Canada direct to Baja California Norte?

A close friend that I have known since I was knee high to a grasshopper wants to retire for a while and drive up and down the Baja and enjoy all the things that I take for granted.

One problem: The Canada USA border. Before September 11th, he had no problem going to concerts in the Gorge Washington state, or driving down the I-5 thru California and down the Baja peninsula. After September 11, things haven't become super restrictive, as he was one of those tough hockey player guys that has his history coming back to haunt him. A record that is in the process of getting expunged.

When I was in Mulege back in 2002 he made and attempt to cross the Canada USA border with his wonderful girlfriend to visit me in the Baja, and he was turned back at the border and said he couldn't enter. They have become real strict at the Canada USA border since 9/11 and for good reason, but his record was from so long ago, it was for a punch up with you know who (cops), after a game and he hasn't made any attempt since.

He really wants to drive down the Baja and not just fly to Cabos from Vancouver if at all possible. He wants to fly direct from Canada to Ensenada, or further up and then enjoy the scenery down the Baja.

I have tried to get him to try again, but there is a rule that they can seize the vehicle etc. And I do understand the risk he might be taking attempting this route, so I suggested a flight from Vancouver to Loreto, or Cabo and fly back to Ensenada and drive down the Baja. I was planning to drive down, with all our gear and then meet him, or perhaps he can purchase a good used 4x4 in Ensenada and take what he can on the plane direct from Canada to Baja.

I mentioned Capt. Mike's Screaming airlines to him and he's real keen on flying over the Baja ina smaller plane, so maybe he could hire Capt. Mike to fly him from Cabo back to the top area of Baja and he can drive down somehow.

Any suggestions appreciated. He's a little stressed -- even though he'll never admit it, and needs a break in the Baja.

Perhaps, just perhaps, he could hire someone Capt. Mike to fly north to Canada, but there is no way it could be non-stop from BC back to Ensenada, or maybe I should ask Mike directly of the possibilty. Maybe Mike knows of someone experienced, who has a plane that can fly direct to Canada, pick him up and fly from Canada to Baja. Air space problems? I don't know.

And my buddy has the cabbage, so the price would probably not be a problem.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

RandyMac

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Liz barnes

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 06:34 PM
Crossing the Border with a record

Randy, From my former work, my perspective would be that your friend should consult a lawyer and get himself a waiver. Considering his clean living since the charge, it shouldn't be a problem. Getting a pardon in Canada has little or no impact with the U.S.,as it not recognized. He may need to obtain a waiver each time he crosses the Border, for a few years and then can apply for a permenant waiver.

Hope this helps.

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 1-15-2005 at 04:35 AM
Thanx Liz,

I went to visit him tonight to discuss this and a waiver is probably the best root to take.
Thankx again, much apprieciated,

RandyMac

Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 04:42 PM

Try crossing from CAN to USA at the Sumas location. They seem a bit mellower there - kinda analogous to crossing at Tecate instead of TJ
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 09:38 PM
Sumas instead of Peace Arch crossing or interior of BC

crossings is a good idea.

I told my friend he needs to drive down the coast to Vancouver area and then cross at the Peace Arch, and yes Sumas crossing would be much more relaxed. But he is worried of the idea that they can confiscate his vehicle etc.

I cross at the Peace Arch and drive straight down. One of the long term boarder crossing agents has a place in Mulege, and I've managed to get him each time I go south. He asks all about the trip, gives good tips on the Mulege area, does a quick trip through the vehicle and then says we'll see you later. Have fun in Mulege and say hello to my friends.

But my friend thinks he might get stopped by some agressive I wanna be a homeland hero type while driving south through the USA and this concerns him alot. I'm working on him and soon he'll realize he's not the only one in this situation.

According to Stats Canada, about 27% of Canadians have criminal records from way way back, and it's those things that come back to bite ya in the Butt.

Thanks for the help.

RandyMac

Liz barnes

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 08:20 AM
Record on CPIC

A record, even an old one is available to any cop in the US, with a computer in his car. Imagine a speeding ticket and then having Your record pop up, and you failed to disclose upon entry! Your friend is right in imagining all kinds of problems, including vehicles being seized or impounded. Transporting an individual with a record across the border can result in your vehicle being seized. Also imagine what could happen with a medical emergency in Mexico. Entry into the US could be refused at the Mexico US border. Better to spend a couple of bucks, get legal and get the waiver.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.