Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: arms and feet ?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 03:35 AM
arms and feet ?

Hi everyone - I have two questions and the first, I think, will be a cinch for someone out there:

I have had pain from shoulder to elbow for months now. At first the pain was only in the shoulder - I assumed it was bursitis. my mom had this once, it was very painful and she treated it successfully with a diet. This same diet did not work for me.

Now the pain is worse and as mentioned, runs down the arm towards the elbow. I believe it was caused when I fell and broke my nose -my arm was FLUNG backwards.

So -my ? is: what type of doctor do I see for this ailment?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2: Les has a bone spur which also appeared as we started our vacation. He underwent some therapy in Poland and the pain went away.

Three days ago, we noticed that he has a huge hard lump now, on his heel, under the bone spur. Doesn't hurt.

We will be seeing a podiatrist soon but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this ?????

Or vacation ends tomorrow....it has been one heck of a ride!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 05:33 AM

BB, check your u2u
bb

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 05:59 AM

gracias!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 06:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Or vacation ends tomorrow....it has been one heck of a ride!

Thanks for posting your travelogue. I enjoyed it. You guys must be looking forward to getting home.

Sorry about the aches and pains. Hope you find a solution.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 07:40 AM

About your shoulder pain, Blanca:
Is the pain in th bone or muscle?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 08:13 AM

Hi Blanca sounds like you might have a compressed nerve in the cervical spine area. A dose of ibuprofen or a round of steroids might be in order. An MRI would be necessary to confirm the diagnosis.

As for the bone spur, you would need an xray to see if there are other issues going on, such as an infection or cyst underlying the original bone spur. An xray would be needed to confirm the diagnosis.

Both conditions could be treated by general practitioner but if you need more intervention such as surgery you would see an orthopedic surgeon or a traumatologo as they call them in Mexico. Good luck and yes sometimes we need a vacation from our vacations!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 10:09 AM

Blanca,
I have been experiencing a very similar condition over the past year....some chiropractic and deep massage has been helpful for some degree of relief....

It started when (you will all get a laugh outta this.....) I was getting up from laying on the couch....and felt a sharp pain across the front of my chest.....it seems that I threw an upper rib out (1st/2nd) and the deferred pain is not "in" the shoulder but at the joint's front....it radiates pain down my triceps-biceps.

I haven't done the MRI route yet....and am managing it with trigger point self-massage, chiro/massage, and Voltarin (topical gel that isn't snake oil)....

But the real remedy is still out there....my next step will be a more thorough workup with MD.

Try the Voltarin extra strength in the meantime.....I also use Aleve (naproxin) more than ibuprofin these days for muscle/joint aches.

Bueno suerte

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 02:37 PM

motoged -all that from getting up from a couch -ouchhhhhhh

I will indeed try some pain killer to help me sleep at night til I see a doc. I never thought about getting mri -xray- it would have been so inexpensive in Poland. Oh well. Next time I will write sooner. I knew you guys would give me good info. I guess I will go to santa rosalia and get one, once we are home.

UDO -muscle

Les has no pain in the foot and we will also get it seen to.He had the xray which showed the bone spur. I guess he will need a new one.

We are really excited to go home - we miss our DOG ...and the house....and Mexican fooooooooooooooooood hahaha

Come visit La Bocana

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 05:00 PM

Blanca;
Get your MRI and x-rays done in the States. I wouldn't take a dog to the Sta. Rosalia hospital. You're playing with serious pieces-parts here, get it done up north FGS.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 03:45 PM

So, I went for an x-ray in santa rosalia and you will not believe this but I indeed damaged my tendon and the bones are now out of place. I cant explain very well but it is very clear in the xray.

The doc said I will need to have the bones reattached with screws. No wonder I had pain. Now to decide where I want to do it.

Les not only has the heel spur but has another one in back of the heel too. Getting old is not for wimps!

Come visit La Bocana

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 05:40 PM

Getting old is not for wimps?

That should be my motto also.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 05:46 PM

:biggrin:

Come visit La Bocana

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 08:10 PM

Stay tuff, The older we get the harder it is to bounce back! May take a
little longer, But you guys will get there:bounce:
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 06:42 AM

You guys are still young'uns
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 07:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

The doc said I will need to have the bones reattached with screws. No wonder I had pain. Now to decide where I want to do it.

That's a bummer, for sure. I'm curious, where did the doctor say you should go to get it fixed? What are the closest options?

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 02:06 PM

He never said - we have both options- insurance in the US and in Mexico through my teaching.

I have been talking to folks who did the exact same operation in La Paz and they had to do physical therapy for months to regain hand movement.

Come visit La Bocana

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 02:54 PM

I would DEFINITELY get it checked in the US --- get opinions there. The orthopedic doctor in GN did exactly the opposite of what I needed for my broken nose, and ask Ralph about his son's surgery on his arm in Baja.

La Paz, maybe, but I would sure get more opinions from the other side of the border.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 03:35 PM

Blanca- Check your U2U...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 04:48 PM

As I'm sure you know, lots of nomads in the San Diego area if you need any info.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 08:46 AM

I had the same happen to me in the hospital 3 years ago when I lost consciousness. I was sure I had damaged some tendons in my shoulder. There was pain deep inside the joint.

Went to a doctor that deals with athletic injury. X-rays proved inconclusive. Dr gave shot of cortisone into the joint which didn't help. Attended a gym for range of motion exercises which exacerbated the problem. I ended up just having it in a sling for a while and sleeping in the opposite site. Slowly ever so slowly the pain left. Took 2 years.

Now I can lift barbells fully over my head. The pain extending to your elbow is due to pressure on the nerve that runs down the inside and feels the pinky and finger next to it.
I would agree about a 2nd opinion from a U.S. Doctor specializing in that type of injury. It may require surgery or it may not.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.