Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: New border requirements for TJ
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Please explain what you said above. Are you saying that if you buy a 6 month FMM you can avoid completing a form on your next walk across entry? That you can use the FMM for multiple entries?

Yes, that is what it means. To me, it is just an added tax to what was once free. You can make as many trips as you want, no more custom forms to fill out which means you can just walk through. I did it today.

[Edited on 8-21-2015 by SFandH]

That is my ? too, OP, are you under the impression you can
pay for a 180 day fmm, then use it for a return trip to Baja?

Even a bad day in Baja is better then a good day somewhere else!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 12:06 PM

Sancho, sounds like that's it. Even though the process contradicts what is said on the back of the card. Maybe they have changed the FMM card.

Good! I guess...............

[Edited on 8-21-2015 by SFandH]
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 02:48 PM

A video on facebook of a gringa looking mexican crossing with no questions asked

https://www.facebook.com/TJTQ.mx/videos/vb.266782340113636/4...

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i'll just keep driving....

Word! :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i'll just keep driving....

The problem with that is if you are only going to TJ for the day, you will have to pay for Mexican insurance, unless you are crazy.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 04:35 PM

no problem, since i NEVER go to TJ for the day, week or month. it's the same as LA. the best part about TJ is getting past it on the way to anywhere else......

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 04:41 PM

Is that the same line you would use if you have a "RP" immigration card??

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 05:53 PM

Along the same thinking as Kris... HOW DO THEY KNOW YOUR FMM IS VALID unless you show it to them, and there is no signed line for those with valid FMMs, SO YOU STILL WILL BE IN A LINE OF PEOPLE who don't have it yet!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Along the same thinking as Kris... HOW DO THEY KNOW YOUR FMM IS VALID unless you show it to them, and there is no signed line for those with valid FMMs, SO YOU STILL WILL BE IN A LINE OF PEOPLE who don't have it yet!!

The way they did it today was just to show it to him with my passport and then you go through. Only difference is no questions and no forms. It saves time...

rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 08:58 PM

Now lets see what its like on a weekend day. Heading down tomorrow to take my wife out for lunch. Hopefully with enough complaints this will go by the wayside. If not, when they open the Virginia street P.O.E, that will alleviate congestion.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 09:19 PM

That's not how it works. Calm down. Take a deep breath. Relax. It ain't bad. Don't worry, be happy.

Peace out!

Feel the Bern!

[Edited on 8-22-2015 by mtgoat666]
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

That's not how it works. Calm down. Take a deep breath. Relax. It ain't bad. Don't worry, be happy.

Peace out!

Feel the Bern!

Just came back from TJ. Once you have the 180 day FMM; you go in the same line as Mexican nationals to the left. If asked, Show your 180 day FMM. No more line!:smug:

[Edited on 8-22-2015 by mtgoat666]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 08:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rayfornario  

Just came back from TJ. Once you have the 180 day FMM; you go in the same line as Mexican nationals to the left. If asked, Show your 180 day FMM. No more line!:smug:

thanks for the info
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 08:13 PM

So, even though you aren't a Mexican, you use their line? Is that their instructions, wow? It is good that they told you you can use the FMM for as many crossings into Mexico you want for the 180 days.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 12:14 PM

So, even though you aren't a Mexican, you use their line? Is that their instructions, wow? It is good that they told you you can use the FMM for as many crossings into Mexico you want for the 180 days.

Yep! I think it is a way for them to control the congestion around the counters when people are filling out there customs forms. You just go on the Mexican National line and they just glance at if asked.
What is funny is that all the employees are hired if they speak good english, however, many of the people having to fill out forms are Chinese, Korean and other nationalities and the forms are only in english! The line gets bogged down because they can't fill out the forms and are turned back to the U.S
All of that business is what Tijuana is losing. My friend who runs one of the bars on Revolution said you could see the difference on Friday night because many of the young people from San Diego that would normally go down for a night are fun, are not coming due to the new passport requirements. Talk about a bad business decision!:o

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 12:55 PM

Americans who walk across regularly will just need to get passports and buy the 180 day permit. I know there are costs involved but not a lot of money. The TJ tourist businesses that cater to day and night trippers will take a hit, again.

A benefit nobody has mentioned is that this means the US officials dealing with Americans walking back from TJ will no longer need to inspect birth certificates and other forms of ID. All Americans will have a passport. And eventually they will all be RFID. The lines back into the US will move faster.

Here is some interesting data that has been repeated in the recent news articles.

"About 25,000 pedestrians (and 50,000 motorists) cross daily at San Ysidro to work, shop and play but it is unclear how many are foreigners in Mexico. U.S. Customs and Border Protection says about one-third entering San Diego are U.S. citizens, one-third are U.S. legal residents and the rest are from other countries, largely Mexico."

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_28672691/u-s-pede...

[Edited on 8-23-2015 by SFandH]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 04:50 PM

Anyone else think that the Mexican requirement for a passport even for pedestrians is not because of pressure exerted by the US immigration folks, just to lighten their load?

Since the drug war carnage that wracked the TJ area a few years ago seems to have abated, the passport requirement by the US has seemed to put a total damper on tourism in TJ.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 8-24-2015 at 10:51 AM

thanks for the info....very helpful timely thread.

I have a current FMM and USA passport and now will be going through the Mexicans only lane with luggage friday. So this thread has answered my critical issues, was the FMM good for multiple entries and also pointed me to the time saving Mexicans crossing to use... Thanks a boatload. We will see if it makes a difference with luggage, shouldn't. I am sure all still have the stop light random button for all.

I am also assuming this will be much more navigable with 2 suitcases of 50 lbs each. The old one was a challenge to put it mildly on the cutback section after existing..

Not that it will be hard to find, but where is the new entrance. The temporary one was kind of rural. Going behind buildings dumpsters and such on the US side and such. Then dumped into the sea of people in line heading to the USA.

The reason I ask is you walked another 300 or so yards before to get the taxis for the airport. Obviously there will be taxis, and probably in a more formal exit is my impression? can anyone comment on that? IE does the exit dump area add on more time to get the airport, do I need to budget in more time? Which I will be budgeting more time now, just because kinks may be working themselves out.

Can not wait till they get that OM walkway done....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2015 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Anyone else think that the Mexican requirement for a passport even for pedestrians is not because of pressure exerted by the US immigration folks, just to lighten their load?

Since the drug war carnage that wracked the TJ area a few years ago seems to have abated, the passport requirement by the US has seemed to put a total damper on tourism in TJ.

I think it finally offers an effective method for stopping criminals and kidnappers from escaping into Mexico. Now start looking for people on the American side sneaking across the border going south... for a change!

rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2015 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by laventana  
thanks for the info....very helpful timely thread.

I have a current FMM and USA passport and now will be going through the Mexicans only lane with luggage friday. So this thread has answered my critical issues, was the FMM good for multiple entries and also pointed me to the time saving Mexicans crossing to use... Thanks a boatload. We will see if it makes a difference with luggage, shouldn't. I am sure all still have the stop light random button for all.

I am also assuming this will be much more navigable with 2 suitcases of 50 lbs each. The old one was a challenge to put it mildly on the cutback section after existing..

Not that it will be hard to find, but where is the new entrance. The temporary one was kind of rural. Going behind buildings dumpsters and such on the US side and such. Then dumped into the sea of people in line heading to the USA.

The reason I ask is you walked another 300 or so yards before to get the taxis for the airport. Obviously there will be taxis, and probably in a more formal exit is my impression? can anyone comment on that? IE does the exit dump area add on more time to get the airport, do I need to budget in more time? Which I will be budgeting more time now, just because kinks may be working themselves out.

Can not wait till they get that OM walkway done....

The new entrance is to the left of the old entrance, you can't miss it. The luggage will have to go through x-ray scanner. The sidewalk will take you right to the taxis....same location where they were before.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.