BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: looking to convoy toward seven sisters in early nov
Powxerdan

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 11:53 AM
looking to convoy toward seven sisters in early nov

my wife and 3 year old son and myself are heading toward 7 sisters(and beyond) in early Nov. we would love to have company for the drive and perhaps our stay down there too. were looking for nice camping and mellow waves.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 06:43 AM

Why not just go alone? Rolling up on those spots with a convoy is a real bummer when you've been going there solo for 30 years. Crowds there are already getting out of hand. You'll have plenty of "buddies" there already. :biggrin:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Powxerdan  
my wife and 3 year old son and myself are heading toward 7 sisters(and beyond) in early Nov. we would love to have company for the drive and perhaps our stay down there too. were looking for nice camping and mellow waves.

On this board, you might as well have asked if anyone knows where El Chapo is hiding out. :lol:

I understand your concern. Wife, three year old son. I suspect your request involves the safety of GETTING there, rather than having neighbors once you get there.

I wish you good fortune on your search for companions. But you have mentioned The Unmentionable on this board.

I'm surprised Seven Sisters hasnt been added to the auto-correct vocabulary on this site like cuss words. :o

[Edited on 8-23-2015 by Hook]
bajaspuds
Junior Nomad

Mood: dum spiro, spero

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 08:01 AM

Yeah, I decided to read this only because I knew the words convoy & 7 Sisters would trigger anger and possibly hostility ...

Definitely go and have a good time, the highway is pretty good these days and the road in from the south is paved to the northward turnoff ...

There are not true secret spots in there anymore, which means people should probably chill, but it also can be a real drag to pull in and find no decent camping spots left available at popular stops like El Cardon, which I still recommend for a family with kids. [close to the road, sand bottom and a mellow wave when it is not maxing]

When I was there last packs of vehicles [vans, campers, dirt bikes, etc] rolled in together in bunches, and that can be disheartening. During the holidays El Cardon looks like the Cardiff campgrounds, although the collective vibe is usually a bit more mellow.

You can still get away from the hordes if your vehicle [and you] are tough enough, since the road(s) into the middle area of the Sisters is/are worse than ever ... hardcore grumps should saddle up, grit their teeth and bounce their way in there for a little solitude.

Decades of visits still do not buy anyone anything more than respect in Baja, which is Mexico, still a foreign country last time I checked. Still mostly gringos go there. Just wait until busloads of the Rosarito-Ensenada localism crews start descending ...

[Edited on 8-23-2015 by bajaspuds]

... dripping w/ chubasco sauce
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 09:26 AM

IF the weather holds true to prediction, centro siete hermanas area will have major washouts that wont be negotiable even in the most heartily built Tacoma 4x4. Old stream arroyos have washout banks up to 5 or 6 ft high that were once sections of graded road.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 11:33 AM

According to this 2007 Baja California Atlas map, a paved and graded road goes to nearly all of the sisters. In July, 2007, I found a modern graded road built as far north as Punta Cono and a few miles beyond towards Punta Blanca. If these modern, graded roads are not maintained, they will deteriorate in short order. This will help the off road surfers maintain the desolation they desire.

The first accurate map to show a road to and along the '7 Sisters' was produced in 1962... so any crowds will be due to the good roads made by the government:

1962 Lower California Guidebook, map by Howard Gulick.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
IF the weather holds true to prediction, centro siete hermanas area will have major washouts that wont be negotiable even in the most heartily built Tacoma 4x4. Old stream arroyos have washout banks up to 5 or 6 ft high that were once sections of graded road.

Predictions like this certainly peak my interest and I have never been on a surfboard. Sounds like some off-roading fun.
Powxerdan

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 03:56 PM

Thanks for any pertinent info about that zone. the similarities between supertopo, a rockclbimbing forum and bajanomad are pretty funny.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-24-2015 at 05:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Powxerdan  
Thanks for any pertinent info about that zone. the similarities between supertopo, a rockclbimbing forum and bajanomad are pretty funny.

Glad to see you have a thick skin and a sense of humor. We won't be headed that way till February. or March.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-24-2015 at 07:41 AM

as mentioned...all bets...and road reports are off until after the upcoming hurricane season...the dreaded September! a couple major hurricane rains and swells can really alter the landscape and beaches!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-24-2015 at 09:31 PM

Watch the weather for incoming hurricanes--that is NOT a place you want to be stuck.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2015 at 11:10 AM

If the rains haven't made a mud hole out of everything your big worry will be the silt beds. Lots of them in various places. Be careful thru or around them, especially if alone.

The entire area is beautiful, have fun and be safe.
ChicaSierra

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 07:37 AM

Hey Dan,
Good to see you here...Welcome Powxer!
Jeph and I will be heading that way in late October until Nov 16th or so. We will go through Mexicali then visit our family casita in Gonzaga on the way down and upon returning. We have only done the caravan thing once in my 40+ years traveling Baja and it was bad enough to not want try that again..total bummer. I will, however, be happy to give you the beta and you guys should be fine... just use your cabeza.:light:
It will be nice to see the triple D and drink some cervezas whilst enjoying fresh caught pescado! I realize you and D will be schooling us in the water, but, your 3yo better not snake any of my waves, or else:D
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:27 AM

if you ask DK he'll give you turn by turn directions. better yet, there IS a search function!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
if you ask DK he'll give you turn by turn directions. better yet, there IS a search function!

Nope, if he is a surfer then you or MMc can send him the secret directions via u2u. I have no idea where to send a surfer, as I am not a surfer. I just like dirt roads... that they go near some sacred surf area is not the road's fault.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 04:17 PM

DK, you have a nice day.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 04:48 PM

the most fun is finding your own way
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
the most fun is finding your own way

And discovering the treasures that await you.
I'm sure somebody was chumming the water with a couple of maps.:P

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Nope, if he is a surfer then you or MMc can send him the secret directions via u2u. I have no idea where to send a surfer, as I am not a surfer. I just like dirt roads... that they go near some sacred surf area is not the road's fault.

Thanks, DK! it's the little things that make a difference, wouldn't you say? Like Mac said, "Have a nice day!"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.