Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The peso plunged today to a record low of 17.28 to the dollar
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 08:32 PM
The peso plunged today to a record low of 17.28 to the dollar

The peso plunged today to a record low of 17.28 to the dollar to crown a week of dismal news, including another reduction in the growth forecast for this year, lower industrial output, sliding oil prices and worries about U.S. interest rates, China and Greece.

The Finance Secretariat yesterday reduced its forecast for growth this year to 2% to 2.8%, down from May’s figures of 2.2% to 3.2%. The Bank of Mexico lowered its forecast last week to 1.7% to 2.5%.

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/peso-at-record-low-growth-fo...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 09:07 PM

When my parents first took our family to Mexico in 1957, the Peso was stable at 12.5 to one. It was still that way at least in to the late 60s.

When I took my own family on the road trip of their lifetime in February of 1986, the peso had crashed to 160 to the dollar. By the time we crossed back into the US in late April, it had tanked to about 350 to one!

With the price fixing that seemed to be in place at the time, our dollars went so far....I could not have stayed home for what that trip cost us!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 07:29 AM

I wonder where they got the 17.28? The forex sites I use showed nothing over 17.00454 last week.

Sitting at approx. 16.98xxx this weekend.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I wonder where they got the 17.28? The forex sites I use showed nothing over 17.00454 last week.

Sitting at approx. 16.98xxx this weekend.

:yes:

Sites I watch have all stayed just shy of 17....

USD-MXN 16.9871 0.1839 1.09% 16:59

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 10:24 AM

So then the question is, how much is a gallon of diesel in Baja? How much is a dozen eggs? How much is a gallon of milk and a pound of beef, for comparison. The buying power of 17 pesos or a dollar!
Thanks.

[Edited on 8-23-2015 by deportes]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by deportes  
So then the question is, how much is a gallon of diesel in Baja? How much is a dozen eggs? How much is a gallon of milk and a pound of beef, for comparison. The buying power of 17 pesos or a dollar!
Thanks.

don't buy diesel but just purchased a carton containing 18 eggs for 25.50 pesos at Calimax. What do you pay in the US?

Bob Durrell
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 12:11 PM

A dozen eggs is at 2. dollars, 34 pesos more or less, avian flu has caused the price of eggs to go up probably worldwide! estimates is that price will continue to rise.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 03:57 PM

Thanks.

The increased value of the dollar versus the peso is the only thing keeping diesel even close to reasonable down here. Of course it doesnt help a Mexican who has no dollars.

Pretty sure diesel is about 14 pesos per liter. 3.785 liters per gallon or about 53 pesos per gallon. At 16.5 thats about 3.20/gallon. At 17, about 3.11/gallon.

Lets say the dollar slides and the peso goes back to being about 13.25 or so, where it averaged for a couple years before Sept. 2014 (the start of the current spike in dollar value). That would put diesel at almost exactly 4.00US/gallon in Mexico.

Last week, diesel averaged 2.61/gallon in the US. CA was up around 2.90.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 05:23 PM

Guess I better cash this soon?

Bob Durrell
BajaRick16

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 08:45 PM

At the close of business on Friday, Schwab posts an exchange rate of 16.9171 with no fees whatsoever. (They reimburse any ATM fees.)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 09:14 PM

Time for a run to Baja for some Dorado Tacos!!:bounce:

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 10:41 PM

A dozen eggs is at 2. dollars, 34 pesos more or less, avian flu has caused the price of eggs to go up probably worldwide! estimates is that price will continue to rise.

The same as it was 5 years ago, and 10 years ago. That's the whole point of this penny-counting; peso goes up, so does prices. The exchange rate is pretty petty compared to the fact that the wages/income of the locals DO NOT.

The Jueros count their sheckels, because by gosh they earned 'em counting them, and because there's really only two things you can do with 'em.... spend 'em or count 'em. Mean-time, folks making $8 (US) a day protest, and there's controversy. My, my.

"You die young, live much longer.

Spend your money, and sit and wonder".

...... Lyrics by Deep Purple.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2015 at 03:35 PM

Is it the peso plunging or that so much of the world money is moving into the America dollar and it is becoming so strong against other currencies.
So many currencies are down against the American dollar.

[Edited on 9-6-2015 by Nancy Drew]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.