BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  18
Author: Subject: UPDATED: Saltwater intrusion on east coast (link)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:00 AM
UPDATED: Saltwater intrusion on east coast (link)

Update: I originally posted this as an FYI about research done on observed changes to sea level, by NASA and NOAA. I've now added new Information at end of this post.

If you want to skip directly to the report, the link to that article is www.scpr.org/news/2015/08/26/53992/sea-level-rise-unavoidabl...

I'm amazed it has attracted so many divergent posts and topics and taken on a life of its own. If you are curious about changes to sea level, as measured by NASA/NOAA researchers, welcome to the discussion. I hope you find it informative

Original post:

For decades, NASA and NOAA have demonstrated very solid science and technology in their various research programs. This report is unsettling, to say the least.

From the report:
Global sea levels have risen an average of 3 inches over nearly a quarter century, but not along the West Coast. NASA scientists say long-term climatic patterns have lowered sea levels along California, Oregon and Washington in recent decades, but they also warn that the region is likely to see a dramatic reversal in that trend in the next twenty years.

"Long-term natural cycles there are hiding the impact of global warming," says Josh Willis, an oceanographer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. "This is a temporary thing."

Willis attributed the trend in the eastern Pacific Ocean to lower-than-normal sea surface temperatures associated with the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. The PDO is a climate pattern being tracked by NASA and the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center. When patches of the ocean cool, they contract; the smaller mass means lower seas.

Now NOAA says we’re entering a warming phase for the PDO. And NASA researchers say it's likely that warming seas near the West Coast will expand and rise.

"In the long run we expect sea levels to catch up to the global mean and even exceed it," Willis says. "People need to be prepared for sea level rise. It's not a question of how much, but when." Scientists attribute about a third of global sea level rise to oceans expanding as they warm. Another third of the rise comes from melting glaciers on mountains, and the final third is blamed on the loss of ice on the massive Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets.

NASA's researchers emphasized that sea level is rising, rapidly and unavoidably, for all three reasons. "It's already happening right now," says UC Irvine and JPL glaciologist Eric Rignot. "This isn't some futuristic scenario." The findings are based on data from three satellite missions conducted since 1992.

www.scpr.org/news/2015/08/26/53992/sea-level-rise-unavoidabl...

Updated 9/30/2015:
This week, many residents of the U.S. East Coast communities are witnessing flood waters rise with each high tide. These people are getting a taste of the future. Almost like being picked to try out some futuristic device for a few days — only this is messy, costly, and, if you realize it’s a taste of things to come, unnerving. Unwilling pioneers, in a way, these people are living on the front line of sea level rise and experiencing the periodic soaking that others don’t yet know, but will.

It started in some places on Saturday – salt water creeping onto roads and sidewalks, into basements and businesses. It continued under the supermoon eclipse. And over the last several days, we’ve had repeated demonstrations of the new reach of the tide – and we should expect it in places for several days to come.

Yes, this is a “king tide” – one of those instances when the moon exerts a slightly stronger tug on the tides than normal. It happens several times each year. This one even has a cool astronomical twist that you can read about here. But in certain affected places it is some of the biggest tidal flooding in memory. We should get used to it, says the latest science. With sea level rise, the highest tides are only getting higher, and the flooding they bring is only getting more frequent.

From: http://blog.ucsusa.org/sea-level-rise-and-the-march-of-king-...

[Edited on 9-30-2015 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:12 AM

Surf's Up ... :biggrin::biggrin:

The "evidence" continues to mount ... based on scientific investigation, not on personal opinion

And this investigation is done for the benefit of the Human race .... as, we need all the help we can get

As for rain ...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 11:31 AM

Well crap I guess I won't have ocean front property any time soon in Bako. So DK was right about the water level in the SoC.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 11:40 AM

Who want's to believe NOAA, NASA, MIT, what do they know?
The heck with proven science.
I'm on the band wagon of the 3-4 BN's here that apparently,
are members of the home schooled thru the 8th grade and
don't vacinate their children cult

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 11:42 AM

Just watch out for the "dramatic reversal" ... :):)

The Central Valley may look like it did ... back in the 1600's

Might improve the Pacific Flyway and the Salmon run ...

[Edited on 8-27-2015 by wessongroup]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

Scientists attribute about a third of global sea level rise to oceans expanding as they warm. Another third of the rise comes from melting glaciers on mountains, and the final third is blamed on the loss of ice on the massive Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets.

Well, interesting at least.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 12:11 PM

Interesting that the eastern pacific actually is lower...

"Global sea levels have risen an average of 3 inches over nearly a quarter century, but not along the West Coast. NASA scientists say long-term climatic patterns have lowered sea levels along California, Oregon and Washington in recent decades, but they also warn that the region is likely to see a dramatic reversal in that trend in the next twenty years".
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 12:25 PM

Might be due to all the action happening in Greenland and/or the Atlantic side of things ... the Pacific is a bit larger over all

"The Atlantic Ocean covers 41,105,000 square miles, or 21% of the earth. The Atlantic Ocean is a little bigger than half as big as the Pacific Ocean. The Atlantic Ocean is between North and South America on the west and Europe and Africa on the east."

Know that a few Islander's have had to move, in the Pacific already due to rising sea levels ... maybe we've just been "lucky" so far .. :biggrin::biggrin:

Jonas Salk and others in the field of medicine would be really happy for those that don't use the vaccine's he and others developed for Polio and other diseases ... bet there are some that don't believe in "direct pressure" to stop blood flow too

Polio was a biggy when young and for more than a few others

And it's still around for those that don't get a shot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine

Have fun :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 8-27-2015 by wessongroup]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 12:58 PM

....Scientists attribute about a third of global sea level rise to oceans expanding as they warm. Another third of the rise comes from melting glaciers on mountains...

Point of reference...I'm standing next to the road looking at Bear glacier in British Columbia, Canada. Twenty five years ago I would have been on the glacier itself!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 01:57 PM

There is no question that some glaciers are melting just like there is no question the Antarctic ice pack has grown. Less here, more there... the earth is in balance it would seem?

Just like Ken's photo is proof that there is less glacier now than before, we have photographic and physical proof the sea level along Baja's east coast is not visibly different than 50-60 years ago.

The point is there is no need for panic or drama... Even if the sea level was rising, there not one thing man can do to change that. We didn't cause the sea level to be 400 feet higher, 5 million years ago, or lower 10,000 years ago. Change is normal... we just have not been alive long enough to actually see that amount of change happening.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  
....Scientists attribute about a third of global sea level rise to oceans expanding as they warm. Another third of the rise comes from melting glaciers on mountains...

Point of reference...I'm standing next to the road looking at Bear glacier in British Columbia, Canada. Twenty five years ago I would have been on the glacier itself!

We ended up going that way and loved that glacier.

Spent a good deal of time talking with locals in the Northwest Territories and the Yukon and they all talk about how climate change has been happening in their communities. The winters have not been as severe. Many expressed concern for this trend with concerns about the ice roads upon which they depend. In 9000 miles we learned a lot including that in the Whitehorse area the a study shows that the squirrels are mating 2 weeks earlier because of climate change. Oh, they were not talking about the weather for a couple of yesrs, they were talking about the trend in the climate.

They also questioned why there are so many deniers in the USA.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 02:53 PM

I just hope DK and his ilk live to have a long, healthy retirement. That is, if we don't have a nuclear winter in the meantime. Of course, they're just like what volcanoes have done to the planet for millions of years too, right? So, we couldn't blame atmospheric damage and oceanic/climate change on The Bombs, either.

Maybe in 25 years edible shoes will be in vogue. :bounce:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Spent a good deal of time talking with locals in the Northwest Territories and the Yukon and they all talk about how climate change has been happening in their communities...........

They also questioned why there are so many deniers in the USA.

Perhaps the effects of global warming are more obvious in higher latitudes. When the evidence becomes clearer over the next decade or two it will be really hard to deny. Now you have to believe what 95%, or something like that, of the scientists say and the majority of the people think. That's not good enough for some.

Here are some poll numbers:

61% of Americans say there is solid evidence that earth is warming.

48% say it is a major threat.

Those numbers will rise over time, with the oceans and temperature as the predictions become fact.

I predict, most probably. ;)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/23/most-america...

[Edited on 8-27-2015 by SFandH]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 03:27 PM

Opinions do not make something true. Science is making observations and measurements.

The sea level is nearly unchanged in our lifetime (millimeters maybe), despite all the movie actors and politicians who think it is much higher.

I have lived on the coast or very close nearly all of my life. The street I spent my first 7 years on in Del Mar (Sandy Lane) at our beach house is still just as far above the sea level as it was in 1957.

Will it the sea level change? Of course.

Does raising your taxes prevent the change?

Absolutely not.

That is the point of my posts, to counter those who would take away your freedoms over a hoax that serves only to gain them power and line their pockets. Resist Big Government!

[Edited on 8-27-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 03:31 PM

A representative spokesman for the 39%.

Whale-ista posted a new report based upon scientific measurements.

[Edited on 8-27-2015 by SFandH]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 03:38 PM

Politicians and movie actors...... YA MEAN LIKE RONNIE RAY-GUN???

OR CHUCKIE DEAD-FINGERS HESTON ??

:lol: it's so laughable, you should be paid scale for stand-up. :lol: Gawd, what a corker !!!!

addendum,

Definition of MYOPIA:
noun

1. Ophthalmology. a condition of the eye in which parallel rays are focused in front of the retina, objects being seen distinctly only when near to the eye; nearsightedness (opposed to hyperopia ).

2. lack of foresight or discernment; obtuseness.

3. narrow-mindedness; intolerance.

[Edited on 8-27-2015 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 05:28 PM

Corker.... :biggrin: I haven't heard that in awhile!

I don't even know where to begin.... I find the report credible.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 06:02 PM

Wait a minute. I thought this whole thread was a set up? He took the bait but we never got the "Mother Nature bats last" line?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 06:30 PM

The part I liked best is where he said "opinions don't make something true"Unless they are his of course....

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Opinions do not make something true. Science is making observations and measurements.

Isn't it your opinion that climate scientists fabricate and falsify observations and measurements?

Dk, tell us the methodology, accuracy and precision of the observations and measurements you make on dirt island and sand lane in del mar. We are eager to hear!

Pages:  1    3  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.