BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  18
Author: Subject: UPDATED: Saltwater intrusion on east coast (link)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Opinions do not make something true. Science is making observations and measurements.

The sea level is nearly unchanged in our lifetime (millimeters maybe), despite all the movie actors and politicians who think it is much higher.

I have lived on the coast or very close nearly all of my life. The street I spent my first 7 years on in Del Mar (Sandy Lane) at our beach house is still just as far above the sea level as it was in 1957.

Will it the sea level change? Of course.

Does raising your taxes prevent the change?

Absolutely not.

That is the point of my posts, to counter those who would take away your freedoms over a hoax that serves only to gain them power and line their pockets. Resist Big Government!

[Edited on 8-27-2015 by David K]

so where is the evidence this a hoax? what freedoms have you lost?
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 09:40 PM

My daughter was watching the news and a Florida politician was denouncing the threat of sea level change.

She said "Why do we even need scientists when politicians can give us the answers?" She laughed out loud and walked away.

I love her.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 09:44 PM

Only a few inches and/or mm … well that is quite a bit when viewed from the scale which is being discussed

Total Volume occupied by all the oceans of the planet

The total volume is approximately 1.35 billion cubic kilometers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean

3” equates to = 76.2 mm

The volume of water required to increase sea level in the region of the Atlantic by 76.2 mm or 3” is really quite a lot of water and/or some rather significant expansion from water temperature increases …

And here's something from God to Noah ... "How long can you tread water" ... :lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-28-2015 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 8-28-2015 by wessongroup]
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:15 PM

It's entertaining to see all of the usual climate change geniuses rush to broadcast their latest Google dredged up statistics from their favorite "expert". Wonder how many put THEiR money where their mouth is?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
It's entertaining to see all of the usual climate change geniuses rush to broadcast their latest Google dredged up statistics from their favorite "expert". Wonder how many put THEiR money where their mouth is?

Better than your FOOT. :P

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 11:49 PM

"If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion."

Chomsky
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 12:18 AM

"Like"

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  

"If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion."

Chomsky
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 08:42 AM

Nobody on this foum will be alive when rising tides start lapping on Main Street in Miami, San Diego, Houston, Seattle, etc. Good to know, but how relevant? With parallel phenomena, our oceans will be fishless, rivers polluted, reservoirs dry, and no place to bury nuclear waste. All happening right here, right now.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 08:45 AM

Too True.....and sad

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 08:52 AM

What I like about Star Trek, that the future is optimistic, promising, and exciting. Most other science fiction movies paint the future as dirty, hopeless, starvation, all is lost... Hunger Games, Avatar, Soylent Green, etc.

Doesn't anyone else have faith in our children and grandchildren to keep inventing and improving?

Growing up in the 1960's, if your drove to L.A., you could see the air and often it would drift down to San Diego so we had stay inside alerts. Not anymore, or very rarely! We have cleaned up pollution and it is better here in the USA than it was 50 years ago.

If big government doesn't ruin our economy any worse than it already has, there may be a better world in the future!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 09:37 AM

David-

I do believe in a brighter future. It's one reason I teach. The purpose of my post was to educate readers about some new research.

And I've seen what can happen when we invest in education, technology, research and science based programs to encourage young people to learn the skills needed to solve big problems and take on new challenges. I tell them about DARPAnet and how that lead to the internet we all use today. Most young people have no idea how this technology evolved.

I've taught information technology for 20+ years for colleges and universities. But the federal grants I used to manage to update equipment and help students stay current on software have mostly disappeared.

We have to invest in those programs to keep them effective and our students competitive with the rest of the world. That's no longer happening, at least not at the level it was at in previous decades. The same is true for many other disciplines.

So when it comes to creating a brighter Star Trek future, we need to invest in programs that train and support researchers and science, and also be willing to take action when those researchers publish findings such as these. Instead, we engage in debates to debunk the very scientists and technicians who recently landed a probe on an asteroid. Very Star Trek of them.

I'll never understand people who cheer those results, yet dispute other programs when they don't agree with them, or refuse to put money into possible solutions because they cost too much.

The moon landing wasn't cheap either, but look what long term benefits have resulted from the communication technology etc. Related to that program.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 09:52 AM

Chuckie, the water levels are fine where they have been the past 60+ years.

Whale-ista, thank you! I appreciate your work.

Maybe if the money designated for education all went to education and not administration and union perks it would make a bigger impact on our future?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What I like about Star Trek, that the future is optimistic, promising, and exciting. Most other science fiction movies paint the future as dirty, hopeless, starvation, all is lost... Hunger Games, Avatar, Soylent Green, etc.

Doesn't anyone else have faith in our children and grandchildren to keep inventing and improving?

Growing up in the 1960's, if your drove to L.A., you could see the air and often it would drift down to San Diego so we had stay inside alerts. Not anymore, or very rarely! We have cleaned up pollution and it is better here in the USA than it was 50 years ago.

If big government doesn't ruin our economy any worse than it already has, there may be a better world in the future!

Yes, we can thank government and all of the environmental regulations that forced industry to clean up their act, forced the auto industry to change, and stopped individuals from using their outdoor incinerators for the better air.

We can also thank those wacko environmental scientists that educated the public as to what the future would hold if something wasn't done.

[Edited on 8-28-2015 by DianaT]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 10:03 AM

Yes indeed... some government is good!

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 10:13 AM

DK... the water levels HAVE changed in the last 20 years... groundwater levels. Just because you base your 'theories' on your personal visionary observations of your own little world and your own personal 'measurements' of levels, etc., doesn't make you a reputable source, but a 'fringe believer', and a very closed off one at that. Now you're a Trekkie too... perfect. Yes, your kid's kids will adapt and change with the mess we've left them; just some are trying to ease that already definite future problem to make their world already on that track. You quote movies (Hollywood actors, politicians) as your sources and bases of argument; your detractors quote 95% of most qualified reputable scientists, academics, and dedicated professionals as their sources.

You really are impenetrable, DK. But, your maps are really keen.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

Point of reference...I'm standing next to the road looking at Bear glacier in British Columbia, Canada. Twenty five years ago I would have been on the glacier itself...

I'm not sure that twenty-five years ago you'd be standing on the glacier. Maybe thirty-five or forty.

Here are photos of the Bear River Glacier in 1973 and another in 2005.

[img][/img]

Allen R
On edit: Both photos were taken approximately same time of year, e.g. late summer.

[Edited on 8-28-2015 by bufeo]
Finchaser2020
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 10:57 AM

So why is it that no one will address the fact that millions of years ago the oceans were hundreds and hundreds of feet higher than today??

What caused that??

Oh yes. Climate change.

I do not think the combustion engine caused that...

Man, just think of the money Al Gore could have made back then from the sheeple...

Should we be more responsible... sure...

But this hysteria is crazy......

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 11:01 AM

I don't see hysteria, Finchaser. The earth's natural changes happened without man's interference, but it seems to me if we see current human interference that we can change and make the earth better (or at least not deteriorate any quicker) I don't see the harm in making those changes.

Allen R
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Finchaser2020  
So why is it that no one will address the fact that millions of years ago the oceans were hundreds and hundreds of feet higher than today??

What caused that??

Oh yes. Climate change.

I do not think the combustion engine caused that...

Once again, from researchers at NASA re:rate of changes observed in previous cycles (as recorded/analyzed in changes in ocean sediments, tree rings, corals, glaciers etc.)

"Models predict that Earth will warm between 2 and 6 degrees Celsius in the next century. When global warming has happened at various times in the past two million years, it has taken the planet about 5,000 years to warm 5 degrees. The predicted rate of warming for the next century is at least 20 times faster. This rate of change is extremely unusual."
earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/GlobalWarming/page3.php

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 11:58 AM

DK? NO the water levels are NOT fine and are not the same as they have been the past 60 years...Out here on the great plains our watertables are dropping at an amazing rate due to depletion and not enough moisture to replenish them...I am not talking centimeters but feet...Lots of wells have had to be deepened or pipes dropped to reach the water table....Scary....

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.