Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Palapa camping in BOLA
Marmeon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 06:56 PM
Palapa camping in BOLA

Hi. I am planning a trip to BOLA in late September for some kayaking and snorkeling and would like to camp under a palapa on the beach for about a week. I looked at Dagget's and it looks like it would be okay, but would like to know if there's some place better (and quieter) for this kind of camping. I'd prefer not to have to bring a tent. Thanks for your help.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:32 PM

Without a tent, you might want to bring some mosquito spray... Otherwise your trip sounds awesome. Have fun. La gringo is cool, but I don't remember any palapas...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:47 PM

Campo Archelon or Campo La Ventana maybe? There are many campos north of town you can just drive out towards La Gringa and check them all out. Maybe give us some feedback if you do?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:53 PM

This time of year you might want to see if the house at La Gringa will rent you an air conditioned room instead of a palm thatched shade.... Easier to sleep at night when you ain't sweatin all night long.
An ice chest full of beer will make the summer heat more bearable.
Marmeon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 08:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. We figure if the heat is too much we'll find an air conditioned place to stay, but we want to have the raw Baja experience first. Just for the story if nothing else!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 10:15 AM

just north of Campo Amigos (and north of the military base) you'll find this structure. this view is from the water so use your imagination from the road. we used the hut on the right for our kitchen and it was perfect. it has shelves. the guys to the immediate south would come by to collect $5/day. i doubt they owed the place but it's a small price to pay. we've used this spot on multiple trips with no problems.

cioppa

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 02:48 AM

"Campo Archelon or Campo La Ventana maybe?"

We tried to stay at Campo La Ventana, ONCE! We saw it featured on Mias website where the picture makes it look as a decent campground. However, when we arrived, the camp was a disaster - broken palapas, both toilets backed up with filth, trash and dog poop throughout and located behind homes that block your view (and basically access to) the water. It may have been a campground at some point, but when we arrived it was clearly deserted and neglected.

We thought we were in the wrong place and were going to leave when the owner, Raul, showed up. He was arrogant, rude and wanted to charge us what we thought was way too much for what would be essentially camping in a dump.

We politely declined and went back towards town and ended up at Campo Archelon. What a difference! On the water, cleaner, better location (closer to town) and the owner Antonio was so gracious and hospitable. We had a great time, and I would highly recommend it as a go to for car campers visiting LA Bay.

We sent an email to Mias website to suggest that they update the conditions at the camps they feature, or at least allow people to rate them because it could not have been more night and day between Ventana and Archelon.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 07:37 AM

Thank you cioppa! It is great to hear of changes (good or bad). I know one of the home owners, and the photo from Woody reminding me of the palapa styles at the campground behind the homes... thought it might be the same place?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 09:18 AM

I too have been to the camp in the photo - it's called Los Pinos - about 1 mi. north of Daggetts. Last time I was there, the large circular palapa had some holes in the thatch walls. Other previous visitors (and me) tried repair the missing palm fronds to make it effective against the wind. Nobody came by to collect for staying there. It's a great place - but, as I said, I hope it has not deteriorated.
Right on the beach.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 09:25 AM

Thanks Cindi, I recall seeing the sign Los Pinos while driving to La Gringa.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.