Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga to Chapala
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 05:01 PM
Gonzaga to Chapala

There must be 300 workers and 50 pieces of heavy equipment working between the end of the pavement to within 5 miles of Laguna Chapala. Earth moving and bridges going in. They have also repaired the road somewhat although it is still primarily a 10 mph road. They moved quickly in the month I was not on the road.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 07:24 PM

Looks like they want to finish before the snowbird season?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 07:42 PM

They are sure working on it. Temp housing in Gonzaga, buses for the workers, and I saw 3 mobile kitchens in 3 different places on site. Could have been more.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 07:52 PM

YAAAAAAYYYYYY !!!! (I think....) :smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 08:03 PM

Sure will be nice when this is completed. I've been taking this road home the past two years and really like the option to bypass the coastal traffic.

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 08:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Sure will be nice when this is completed. I've been taking this road home the past two years and really like the option to bypass the coastal traffic.

I agree totally, and probably so will I. Trouble is, so will everyone else. There will be much change in Most of the upper 2/3rds of Baja.

"Oh, The Times, They Are A-Chaaaaangin"

86 - 45*

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 07:10 AM

and for us in Arizona, it cuts a 200 miles and hours off our trip.

Just have not found a good hotel that is pet friendly to stay at. Stayed at Las Palmas this time, may try Blue Sky (outside or town) next time.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 07:11 AM

Some bigwig must want to start selling lots in 2016 or 17.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 07:19 AM

Have not seen any real estate activity other than what there is already. San Felipe still looks like a town in economic dispair.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 12:39 PM

I have heard that former President Fox's wife or her family bought a lot of land around Gonzaga Bay when they first started the new highway construction. Most likely hotels will go up when the highway is finished. Only problem is water. Desalting sea water takes a lot of electricity.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Just have not found a good hotel that is pet friendly to stay at. Stayed at Las Palmas this time, may try Blue Sky (outside or town) next time.

We've been doing the pet-friendly roulette when passing through San Felipe for a couple years. Tried Blue Sky last year and it worked out fine. Clean, good sized rooms, full size refer in room, had no problem with our dog, something like $500/$600 pesos single/double. A little more money than, say, El Capitan but a much nicer room. You just don't get the "ambiance" of being in the middle of town and you aren't near the water, but was a great choice for a night en route to a nicer destination.

[Edited on 9-4-2015 by bkbend]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  

We've been doing the pet-friendly roulette when passing through San Felipe for a couple years. Tried Blue Sky last year and it worked out fine. Clean, good sized rooms, full size refer in room, had no problem with our dog, something like $500/$600 pesos single/double. A little more money than, say, El Capitan but a much nicer room. You just don't get the "ambiance" of being in the middle of town and you aren't near the water, but was a great choice for a night en route to a nicer destination.

[Edited on 9-4-2015 by bkbend]

Thanks for the report. I'll try it next time.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 03:35 PM

Have not seen any real estate activity other than what there is already. San Felipe still looks like a town in economic dispair.

The highway has been paved and improved to San Flip for years now; it'll stay just as it is; paving to Gonzaga opened quite a lot of newer development south. Now the extra day of travel is cut, BoLA will probably get more tourist attention, and more changes. Finishing the last stretch to Chapala will cut a day off of my travel too; us Trailer Trash Types will be more than happy to save about $100 on fuel costs. Traffic? Remains to be seen......

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 04:16 PM

Good news about the roadwork!! I won't use the road but hopefully it means less traffic on highway 1 north of Chapala. Or, more likely, a slow down in the growth of traffic on highway 1 north of Chapala.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 04:30 PM

I'll use the road from N AZ!

Back in the 70s Papa told me the road would be paved any time now!

What ever happened to $60 pangas in BOLA? :-)

It'll be a nice way to get to Asuncion from Gonzaga

NO MORE SQ TRAFFIC JAMS!!!!!!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 07:10 PM

The new (back then new) highway route was surveyed and in 1974 you could see white painted rock X's ever so often from near Gonzaga to San Felipe (I was traveling north in '74 and '75 doing a loop from the Pacific side). Over 10 years passed before bulldozers got to Gonzaga.

It wasn't until 1982-1985 that they made a new (dirt) highway going south from San Felipe to Puertecitos. The next part to Gonzaga and beyond was made in 1985-86... It joined with a new graded road from Chapala over to Puerto Calamajué... that junction became Coco's Corner in the 1990's.

Until it deteriorated from lack of maintenance, a 2WD car could safely get to Gonzaga Bay from the north or the south for the first time. By 2006 the dirt highway to Gonzaga was pretty rough for non-trucks or SUVs, once again.

From 2007 to 2014 a totally new road was built often on a different route between Puertecitos and Gonzaga, and it was finally paved.

In 2015, pavement extends 20.5 kms. (nearly 13 miles) south from Alfonsina's Pemex and work is underway on the remaining 20+ miles the new road will go to reach Hwy. 1.

At the junction with Highway 1, a large area is marked out, and would appear to be for a large Pemex station complex?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 09:25 PM

Stayed at Kiki's in San Felipe a week ago with 2 dogs and 2 cats. I called ahead and made a reservation with Kiki, the room was nice and on the beach for $60. I would definitely stay there again.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 02:16 PM

glad I can say that I did the old road..made it a great adventure, but now have a trailer boat and looking forward to exploring BOLA...
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 02:44 PM

I stayed at the Blue Sky last week, nice clean room, pets were not a problem, room was $45 or 500P your choice, and the restaurant next door to the south was good.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  

I stayed at the Blue Sky last week, nice clean room, pets were not a problem, room was $45 or 500P your choice, and the restaurant next door to the south was good.

Thanks. was wondering about a place to eat.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.