Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Gonzaga to Chapala
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 04:01 PM

Did Hwy 1 to Gonzaga in about 1974 or 75 in the middle of the night with 3 friends. Came upon a Military checkpoint somewhere in the hills before what is now Coco's area. No problem but I think we woke them up. We were in an old Jeep Wagoneer.
can't wait for the new road.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 05:16 PM

interesting - when I drove through there last April there was no construction activity what so ever .

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 09:45 AM

mornin...
headin south in a couple of weeks and have not seen a recent update on progress from gonzaga to chapala...
Anyone done the trip in the last week or so or soon that can report on what if anything is better over the last 23 miles.????
any news is very much appreciated... we come from Colorado and this route is a big help to us... last trips we are carrying an overhead camper and its still better than the west route...
thanks

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
pangajohn

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 10:24 AM

It is perfect. Just don't tell anybody
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 10:39 AM

Its about to get crazy first eve of the race........ Can't Sleep :o:bounce:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 11:20 AM

going through on Thursday. I'll report after that.

As we get closer to 1000, expect more and more traffic.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
There must be 300 workers and 50 pieces of heavy equipment working between the end of the pavement to within 5 miles of Laguna Chapala. Earth moving and bridges going in. They have also repaired the road somewhat although it is still primarily a 10 mph road. They moved quickly in the month I was not on the road.

We were on 5 coming down to SF and there were 3 blacktop crews working on 3 different areas putting down new asphalt. I told the wife it must be in expectation of many new cars and trucks taking the new connection.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  
mornin...
headin south in a couple of weeks and have not seen a recent update on progress from gonzaga to chapala...
Anyone done the trip in the last week or so or soon that can report on what if anything is better over the last 23 miles.????
any news is very much appreciated... we come from Colorado and this route is a big help to us... last trips we are carrying an overhead camper and its still better than the west route...
thanks

I was on this 23 mile stretch last week and can report that the road was OK. It took me an hour in my SUV. You will be amazed at all the construction activity.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagregg  
Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  
mornin...
thanks

I was on this 23 mile stretch last week and can report that the road was OK. It took me an hour in my SUV. You will be amazed at all the construction activity.

thanks so much,,, headed that way last week of Oct.. will be interesting to pass thru this time.. wanted to wait until the shrimp festival in Nov.. but then gotta contend with the race..

[Edited on 10-13-2015 by mtnpop]

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 07:39 PM

As was stated heavy construction on the last 23 miles. took me 1 hour 45 minutes but I take my time. They surprised me with road base going down on the section in Laguna Chapala.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 09:16 PM

Copied from Talk Baja discussion, posted Oct. 12

Alternate Drive to/from Loreto - Update on Mex 5 Highway construction: Laurie and I took the alternate route up the Baja last week. Instead of driving Mex 1 to the border, we took Mex 5 which goes thru San Felipe. Supposed to save 3 hours to the border. A few interesting facts heading north (reverse read if you are headed south):
* The entrance to Mex 5 when going north is about 30 miles north of the turnoff to Bahia de los Angeles
* The entrance heads east, and is NOT marked "Mex 5", and does NOT note "San Felipe"... it is a small sign that says "Laguna Chapala".
* It is a dirt road for the first 22 miles (actually the last 22 miles of construction to be done, starting north to south). It is not a terrible road, but not great either. It was no problem for our little Toyota Rav 4.
* Take usual precautions for a remote dirt road... bring water in case of breakdown... ensure you have a spare tire and tire change gear.
* Around Mile 5, you will enter the construction zone... VERY interesting. It is mostly thru a canyon... tough construction environment!!!
* Lot's of bridges being built, amazing amount of dirt and rock being moved... it is worth driving this way just to see the construction.
* PHOTOS: The two photos are examples of a work camp (there are 6 of them) and the start of a bridge.
* Heading north, you will hit a beautiful brand new paved road... first class highway construction... wide lanes, big shoulder, long sweeping turns. 80mph felt slow on this road.... you could drive 120mph with no stress.
* Once you hit Bahia Gonzaga, SLOW DOWN!!! The older road between Gonzaga and San Felipe is pretty good in most places (not like the new part of the road), but there are some sudden dips at vados that will slam you to the pavement in the bottom and send you flying when you exit. These will take you by surprise... they sure did get us!
* From San Felipe to Mexicali, the road is great, no issues.
* The crossing into Calexico is easy and fast, no issues.
* Head north to I-8... OR, thru El Centro, past Salton Sea, to I-10.
* NOTE: Regarding time savings, excellent for anyone coming/going East (Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, etc)... not much time saved if you are going to San Diego or thru LA headed north.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.