BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Best ipad app for baja maps?
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whiskey Witch  
Pacsur is correct. If you want to have GPS functionality on an iPad when you are off grid, it must be the type that is cellular enabled.

Well, not actually. What you need is an external blue tooth gps antenna. That is what I use with Gaia and it works very well.

Sometimes the next day when getting going again you need to reconnect the iPad to the antenna via BT and that can be annoying if you are recording a track but other than that it is pretty seamless.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 08:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by Whiskey Witch  
Pacsur is correct. If you want to have GPS functionality on an iPad when you are off grid, it must be the type that is cellular enabled.

Well, not actually. What you need is an external blue tooth gps antenna. That is what I use with Gaia and it works very well.

Sometimes the next day when getting going again you need to reconnect the iPad to the antenna via BT and that can be annoying if you are recording a track but other than that it is pretty seamless.

No, he was correct. It can be done with an external blue tooth gps, but that is very clunky. I.e. it's a whole other thing you need to setup, connect, and power.

Much better to pay a few extra bucks upfront and get a tablet with built in GPS.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

TRAVISD

[*] posted on 9-20-2019 at 06:24 AM

I use this external GPS receiver with my iPad and Leadnav. Works great used it on many Baja trips.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS160-Multipurpose...

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2019 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by juandesiles  
Hi,

i'm looking for an APP for my ipad
Baja Maps that will work off line.
thanx

=== ===
Depends on the detail you want to see. Back country roads and trails maps are not common on apps for Baja. Having said that why not load free apps that allow for offline use. Google maps and Maps.me come to mind and both do an excellent job of showing enough detail to get you to most common places. Your device has an internal GPS to show you where you are on the map. Both apps work on all platforms, IOS and Android, phones and tablets. It will take you a bit of time to download the maps you want to use for the area of interest. Please do these two apps before trying other complicated apps. I suspect you will be pleased.
If you want to become an off roader with maps with great detail with trails seldom used then you will need to get a real GPS because Gps maps are always the most complete. Baja Gps maps are most complete from Garmin and from Murdocknav.com.
Do you plan on getting a tracker? Highly recommended so your friends and family can keep track of your travels. Extremely valuable for rescue and emergency situations. Lots of threads on how to choose a tracker. None are free and require purchase of a device and continuous subscription for satellite coverage.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.