BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: UPDATE: Missing Surfers in Baja FOUND!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 03:37 PM

10-4 on that! Fun to have their great maps to see your route, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 03:52 PM

depends on what you want to do. spot is $150 and delorme is $300.

You going to kick loose of $300 David?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 03:59 PM

I was replying to Jon, sorry that wasn't clear. He already has one.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

How much is that SPOT contract going to cost you? I pay only for the months I use it. Plus I can text. And I will put Delorme customer service up against SPOT's any day.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 04:49 PM

SPOT Gen 3 is now $75

Behind every inReach is GEOS. Behind GEOS is the IERCC — formally known as the International Emergency Response Coordination Center. .......same Center that SPOT uses

Quote: Originally posted by Pappy Jon  

How much is that SPOT contract going to cost you? I pay only for the months I use it. Plus I can text. And I will put Delorme customer service up against SPOT's any day.

[Edited on 9-13-2015 by bajaguy]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 05:06 PM

Reminds me of the My truck is better than your truck argument. I stand by my comment. It depends on what you are going to do with it. If you want tracking like we do with Score, I would stay with spot. If you are into text messaging then go with Delorme.

[Edited on 9-14-2015 by rts551]
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 05:15 PM

SPOT 3 is $150 at REI. Annual subscription is $150, plus $50 for unlimited tracking. That is $350 to walk into a SPOT.

My inReach cost me $35/mo for 40 freehand texts, unlimited preset messages, and unlimited tracking. For $65/mo you can get unlimited everything. I'm not paying for months it sits in the closet, only for the one or two months a year I need it.

Also, I have my inReach synced to my Android tablet which makes operations just too dang easy.

The one advantage I see with the SPOT is the AAA battery.

I still say inReach rocks!

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 07:10 PM
Home?????

Get A Grip

Am I the only guy that heads out for 3/4 months and up to a year trip,, at a time and don't call home ???

[Edited on 9-13-2015 by captkw]

Difference is you don't seem to know where HOME is???? El Charro????
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 07:29 PM

MOMMY!!!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 07:34 PM
Dumb F___ frizkie

are you with ellane ? your about to get a RUDE wakeup !!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 07:35 PM

Millennials are pusssies! They get stuck in the mud and the Internet goes into hyperdrive looking for them. Back when I was young, we did not even give a precise return date, just said we'd be back in a week or 2 or 3
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 08:04 PM

Yep, if you are scared to death of everything, and need an army to watch out for you, stay home. You can't forsee everything that might go wrong on a trip but you can sure cut down on a lot of problems by planning ahead and thinking.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 08:05 PM

All the want-to-be she-men are coming out now. who cares what you "say" you used to do.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 08:48 PM

This whole thing is freaking ridiculous. Sorry, but going there solo in a truck during hurricane season is stupid. They apparently also ran out of gas as well? Amateurs.

Regardless, I'm happy to hear they are safe. I wouldn't wish ill will on anyone.

[Edited on 9-14-2015 by BooJumMan]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 07:39 AM

From Talk Baja:

UPDATE ON LOST YOUNG MEN:
The searchers have found a trail to follow. He told Bob the guys were headed to Punta Canoas to the north which makes sense since they were supposed to come home on Thursday.

why would they head to Canoas if they are already late? talk about creating an endless wild goose chase. if they are not able to get out the SJ road (doubtful) they should stay put with the people at SJ. that's the first place any international rescue team would look. typical rookie mistake! they have no way to know IF the road north is passable to Canoas and out to the highway. the roads through here suck. it's probably where they are broke/stuck and waiting for mommie.....

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 02:16 PM

Just happy to hear there Ok.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pappy Jon  
SPOT 3 is $150 at REI. Annual subscription is $150, plus $50 for unlimited tracking. That is $350 to walk into a SPOT.

My inReach cost me $35/mo for 40 freehand texts, unlimited preset messages, and unlimited tracking. For $65/mo you can get unlimited everything. I'm not paying for months it sits in the closet, only for the one or two months a year I need it.

Also, I have my inReach synced to my Android tablet which makes operations just too dang easy.

The one advantage I see with the SPOT is the AAA battery.

I still say inReach rocks!

Don't know anything about the DeLorme but have used the original Spot for a number of years. Annual basic subscription is $100 not $150 and it uses two AA lithium batteries not AAA.

Like others I used to go for lengthy periods in Baja with no contact with folks back home and figured I could do ok on my own. It always worked out(well, there was that one little crash in '02 that resulted in an ambulance ride, surgery and a year of physical therapy but the bike and I both survived so no need to go further into that.) Now that I am just a bit older my adult children and partner Kathy get comfort from knowing where I am since I am usually on a motorcycle by myself. Seems to me that is is just considerate to use a Spot or other similar device to put their minds at ease. Never had to use the emergency function but good to have it available. As I try to keep riding through my 70's and maybe longer these electronic devices look more useful.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 05:29 PM

so they were found? where are the gory details?

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 05:34 PM

Inquiring minds want to know. Hopefully one of them will post all the fotos and routes on Talk Baja. JK.

Glad everyone was OK. I love my SPOT. Keeps me linked in with a rescue crew if needed.

Hey Woody, mind if I put you on my SPOT email list? I could say I need help, just to get you a free vacation to come dig me out?

I'll pay your gas and have escabeche and beer waiting. :big grin::big grin:

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 05:38 PM
SPOT Gen 3

About half the size of the original, uses 4 AAA batteries and now $74.99 on the SPOT web site:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.