BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: UPDATE: Missing Surfers in Baja FOUND!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Inquiring minds want to know. Hopefully one of them will post all the fotos and routes on Talk Baja. JK.

Glad everyone was OK. I love my SPOT. Keeps me linked in with a rescue crew if needed.

Hey Woody, mind if I put you on my SPOT email list? I could say I need help, just to get you a free vacation to come dig me out?

I'll pay your gas and have escabeche and beer waiting. :big grin::big grin:

absolutely!

Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 06:44 PM

I'm dying to know where they got stuck and if they were able to first get to the coast and surf. It would be a bummer if they got clock-bocked by the mud before they even surfed.

Last December, I was on a solo trip headed to Cuchillo and south. I got all the way to the San Jose marsh (about 4 miles upstream from the San Jose fish camp). The road had been completely washed out and was a no-go. The whole marsh bed was wet (but no standing water). I spent about an hour walking around looking for the go-arounds and there weren't any. I was completely jacked.

It was about 2:30 so I only had a few hours of daylight. I didn't want to risk getting stuck so close to dark. I decided to turn around and bail. I did drive a bit further down the main road toward San Jose and spoke with a rancher. He said the beach route to Cuchillo was even worse. (I'm wondering if that marsh is where these three amigos got stuck.)

So, I had to come up with a Plan B, which was to go to the zone south of Cono. It had been 15 years since I was in this area. Imagine my surprise seeing the crowds that now frequent that zone. So I ended up surfing with 30 of my new best friends! And this was a few weeks before Christmas break!!!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 06:55 PM

They are members of the Facebook page TalkBaja. They apparently got some surfing in. When they decided to post the story I am sure someone will copy it and post it here.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
About half the size of the original, uses 4 AAA batteries and now $74.99 on the SPOT web site:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

Unfortunately that price is only available with a new service subscription. Those of us who are current customers have to pay $150 to get the Gen 3. Seems like long-time subscribers should get the same deal.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 08:16 AM

These tracking devices have notification features that would notify people in the US, right? So if you go unprepared, get stupid or break down, you expect someone in the US to drop what they're doing, cross the border and make a trip to wherever you need help to bail you out? How self-centered. If you get bit by a shark, how are they gonna help you? Get stabbed by a bandito? Run out of water, you expect them to rescue you? I'd rather have a tracking device on my car, so that in the worst-case scenario, when I don't show up, my car can be located, and then, according to a preconceived plan, a group of people can be notified. But otherwise, if you're traveling in a foreign country on desolate, unmaintained roads, subject to Mother Nature's touch, you should rely on nobody but yourself. A winch, spare tires, spare parts, gas cans, water of course, and getting out of the car to walk the road, and basic travel smarts will keep you out of trouble. It's obvious the road is not maintained, there's eroded 10-ft wide gullies and crumbling drop-offs, there are 7-inch deep dried mud tracks. Get a clue. In the SW there are signs posted for the clueless "this road becomes impassable when wet". Mexicans don't have the equivalent sign - they expect people to use their common sense. C'mon - travel means you handle everything you get yourself into - travel means you anticipate the unexpected - travel means you fully experience the opportunity. On one hand, these surfers did just that, thanks to the Mexicans who helped them out - I hope they appreciate the hospitality and give credit where credit's due. On the other hand, they did some stupid things. SPOT is for wusses.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 08:35 AM

This stuff isn't drama and the kids weren't lost. Non-surfers don't know surfers -- who get hung up sometimes. I'm positive the kids are shaking their heads wondering what the fuss was about.

Surfers keep their own schedules and don't need another stinking device to show them, or anyone else, the way.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 08:41 AM

Wilderone, I have always contented the same, thanks for putting out so well.
Lee. you too are on target. :light:
It getting hard to spell adventure with a capital "A" in Baja, These guys might be able to do it.

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 08:44 AM

I would think they are embarrassed...

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 09:38 AM

I hope they are embarrassed.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 11:59 AM

agree with what boojum said...
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
These tracking devices have notification features that would notify people in the US, right? So if you go unprepared, get stupid or break down, you expect someone in the US to drop what they're doing, cross the border and make a trip to wherever you need help to bail you out? How self-centered. If you get bit by a shark, how are they gonna help you? Get stabbed by a bandito? Run out of water, you expect them to rescue you? I'd rather have a tracking device on my car, so that in the worst-case scenario, when I don't show up, my car can be located, and then, according to a preconceived plan, a group of people can be notified. But otherwise, if you're traveling in a foreign country on desolate, unmaintained roads, subject to Mother Nature's touch, you should rely on nobody but yourself. A winch, spare tires, spare parts, gas cans, water of course, and getting out of the car to walk the road, and basic travel smarts will keep you out of trouble. It's obvious the road is not maintained, there's eroded 10-ft wide gullies and crumbling drop-offs, there are 7-inch deep dried mud tracks. Get a clue. In the SW there are signs posted for the clueless "this road becomes impassable when wet". Mexicans don't have the equivalent sign - they expect people to use their common sense. C'mon - travel means you handle everything you get yourself into - travel means you anticipate the unexpected - travel means you fully experience the opportunity. On one hand, these surfers did just that, thanks to the Mexicans who helped them out - I hope they appreciate the hospitality and give credit where credit's due. On the other hand, they did some stupid things. SPOT is for wusses.

I think you missed the point of my comments, if you read them. For many years I traveled Baja as you describe. That is by myself on a motorcycle or 4wd vehicle and was prepared as best I could for whatever might happen. Did that from about 1974 on. I now carry a Spot that has never been used to call for help. I carry it for two reasons: I have family members that like to know where I am and I just think it considerate on my part to let them know, I also have friends who like to follow my travels using the email they receive about my location. That is the point of the Spot's "check-in" function. It is not a "need help" function, although that is available, it is just "here is where I am."

I am a guy in my 70's who rides a KLR650 4-5000 Baja miles every year almost always solo, don't feel like a Wuss but by your definition I guess I must be.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
SPOT is for wusses.

You may think it's macho to not call for help when you are in a bind, whatever, that's your choice. Other people may want to reach out when they need help. It's @sinine to say someone is a wuss for sending a text message requesting help when they need help.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 07:03 PM

Self-aggrandizement and denigrating someone else will not make your pen!s any bigger. However, it might make you appear to be a kick-but adventurer on Baja Nomad's forum. Life is full of pros and cons.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 08:10 PM

Very hard to be a but-kicking adventurer in Baja anymore. Just about impossible if you are driving anything and care about the land. The tracking devices will help the ill prepared, the stupid, and their loved ones.
"The harder it gets, the better the story" There are usually a number of poor decisions before the wheels come off and it gets hard.

Hurricane Rick

Mood: Baja addicted

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 08:42 PM

KurtG you got it right. It has nothing to do about being a surfer or a Wuss, more so about being Baja smart. The most expieranced Baja racers and travelers carry a SPOT Tracker. You guys ever heard of the acronym IABDOT ? It stands for " Its A Big Desert Out There"
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 11:20 PM

Hurricane Rick. I have a lot of time in Baja and maybe I'm not smart but I don't expect superman or his minions to come save me. I have been in a lot of places and never carried a locating device. The world is not that big anymore. Sorry dude.

merlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 05:30 AM

This site is so entertaining, like watching O'Reilly - you are guaranteed to hear the most ridiculous statements from the armchair cowboys! Don't you people have anything better to do?

Honestly, who cares if someone carries a SPOT or not - why does it matter to you?

Stoked the boys are safe and had a great adventure. Hope they scored some surf. They are lucky to have people who love them enough to rally the troops on their behalf.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 08:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by merlin  
This site is so entertaining, like watching O'Reilly - you are guaranteed to hear the most ridiculous statements from the armchair cowboys! Don't you people have anything better to do?

Honestly, who cares if someone carries a SPOT or not - why does it matter to you?

Stoked the boys are safe and had a great adventure. Hope they scored some surf. They are lucky to have people who love them enough to rally the troops on their behalf.

Can't understand why anybody here would criticize someone for the decision to carry a SPOT location device. Most likely saved Mike Younghusband's life a few years back in that same general area. Maybe some of you don't have anybody back home who would care. A lot of us do and it simply just makes sense.

As far as the boys go, I have been in contact with them. It is obvious to me that for them, this was just another adventure in Baja. The only stress they felt was not being able to get the word out to their families that they were OK so they wouldn't worry.

These are a great group of young men who came down to live the dream so many of us have done and got stuck when the weather turned. They sought out local help and waited out the conditions. You can't fault them for having moms who worry.

The only part of this entire ordeal that SCARED them was that their secret location was getting out. I have now gone back and edited out as best I can, any referrals or maps to the exact location.

Peace, love and fish tacos...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 08:26 AM

Good grief... every surfer in the world knows the Seven Sisters... what secret???

If Gary Patton had a Spot or DeLorme he may still be alive... his 2WD SUV was found stuck, almost hidden off the road to Punta Canoas from Cataviņa.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  

The only part of this entire ordeal that SCARED them was that their secret location was getting out. I have now gone back and edited out as best I can, any referrals or maps to the exact location.

Peace, love and fish tacos...

:cool: :bounce:

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.