BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: UPDATE: Missing Surfers in Baja FOUND!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
These tracking devices have notification features that would notify people in the US, right? ...... SPOT is for wusses.

The Spot signals are forwarded to local rescuse-prepared resources all over the planet....police or military often in locales outside USA.

Spot is used by all sorts....saved a buddy's life several years ago up in the BC Coastal mountain area out of cell range....no car 's sat system in our pockets that time (enduro riding).....maybe wusses rely on their car's system because they don't leave the neighborhood :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 10:48 AM

In my younger days, I would leave the wife, later the wife and kids to backpack the Wyoming wilderness for 7-10 days. Maps and compass, some of the 7.5 minute quads were ancient, the preparation began months before the trip due to the routing and planning. I remember being with one group when a fistfight almost broke out over which way to go around a particularly large boulder. It turned out that there was indeed, a correct way and a very wrong direction around it. I took a long slide down a steep glacier one year and was very fortunate to survive and be able to extricate myself. It would have been a tough body retrieval. I carried my first GPS after 15 years of no GPS, it saved us a lot of trouble but we still relied on the maps. Next came Google mapping and the dam was broken on routing and the ability to plan quickly with much more accuracy. I spent 23 of 25 years in that wilderness and have to be content with "flying" through it on my screen now.

My first trip to Baja was much later, without a SPOT but with current routing/mapping technology. Once introduced to SPOT, I've always had one available. Once again, I'm astonished by people who deny that improvements in technology that add safety to our activities should be shunned. WTF? I wonder if you use a "fish finder" or GPS to mark your fishing spots....same tech. As far as location secrets, that's an oxymarooon as well, current tech allows no location secrets and if someone got helped by locals, they tend to talk about the when's where's and how's pretty easily.....again, no secret....

BTW, I'm happy to use that tech and be a live, healthy wussie who's willing to compare where I've been with anyone.....:wow:

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 12:17 PM

Per TalkBaja. They reported their adventure, which may disappoint some of you drama queens. They got stuck...got out immediately and stayed with a local rancher for a couple of days until the roads were passable.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 12:50 PM

When I go to Baja I don't even bring tools. To use tools is cheating! If I get a flat tire I use rocks and sticks to fix it. I'm tough. Oh wait, rocks and sticks ARE tools. Hmmmmm, let me think about this some more.

I won't call the fire department if my house is on fire. I prefer to blow the fire out with my own breath. That way I feel more manly.

:o

Technology is good. Use it!

[Edited on 9-16-2015 by Ateo]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 12:56 PM

Wusses, In MY younger days
I used to go for 4 months (you see, Ima Bum and do not work),
and never told anyone where i was at (no one cared),
and I did it in 1950. I am an invalid now, on oxygen, and my mind ain't quite right any more.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 01:01 PM

It sounds like another case of "missing white women syndrome," except it involves boys, who are really young American men on a surfing trip.

Jesus, the boys go missing for one day, and it's all over Facebook, and other Baja forums, and it's even in the local Mexican newspapers! Word, is some young Mexican chicas read the articles and looked at the photos, and now want to know if the boys are single.

Now the ungrateful punks, don't want to give up the locations of their new secret surfing spot! No doubt when these boys get home, their mamma's will wipe their nose, like former Marine, Sgt Tahmooressi's Mommy took care of her son.

Well, I'm just glad I never cared about the boys going missing, because I don't know them, and just see this as another missing person report, where thousands of people go missing every year in the US, Mexico, and other countries. In Baja alone, there are reports after reports of young Mexican girls, and young Mexican boys go missing all the time, and rarely is there a happy ending, yet we see no Facebook page, or Baja forum trying to find them.

We need to tell Wikipedia to start a new definition called, "Missing white man syndrome," and how in the US we need to give them a disproportionate degree of coverage like we do to the white women who go missing like Natalee Holloway.

Missing white woman syndrome

Missing white woman syndrome is a phrase used by social scientists[1] [2][3] and media commentators to describe the extensive media coverage, especially in television, of missing person cases involving young, white, upper-middle-class women or girls.[4] The phenomenon is defined as the media's undue focus on upper-middle-class white women who disappear, with the disproportionate degree of coverage they receive being compared to cases of missing women of other ethnicities and social classes, or with missing males of all social classes and ethnicities.[5][6]

The PBS news anchor Gwen Ifill is said to be the originator of the phrase.[6] Charlton McIlwain, a professor at New York University defines the syndrome: "White women occupy a privileged role as violent crime victims in news media reporting."[7] Although the term was coined to describe disproportionate coverage of missing person cases, it is sometimes used to describe the disparity in news coverage of other violent crimes. Missing white woman syndrome has led to a number of tough on crime measures named for white women who went missing and were subsequently found harmed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 02:14 PM

JJJ,
Yes.....and the viral infection of "social media" only makes it worse (while sometimes solving the issue).

The electronic connectivity the world is experiencing is a revolution (intentional/ unintentional?) that is happening so rapidly that our culture is being impacted in unforeseen ways.

I don't "facebook" as this and a few other forums give me all the "connectedness" I can handle....but others thrive on it....

The notion, for instance, of wanting to hit the "like" icon seems so adolescent to me....but not to some others.....

Each to their own....

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 02:24 PM

Click like if you like Motoged! His Spot device has somehow become linked to the door of my fridge. Whenever he has an emergency, the fridge door opens and a Pacifico disappears. Wassup with that?

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 02:56 PM

Chuckie,
It's difficult to keep up with your wit.....but I am stubborn and will try:biggrin:

Facebook will apparently introduce a "Don't Like" idiot icon....so there be more reasons for "cerveza desaparecer"....

You might place a spot tracker on each bottle so you can figure out where they went.....or just check out the size of your belly :lol:

Thanks for paying attention......and I still owe you a beer.....

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
They are members of the Facebook page TalkBaja. They apparently got some surfing in. When they decided to post the story I am sure someone will copy it and post it here.
http://mangoworldmagazine.blogspot.com/2015/09/a-story-of-su...

"The future ain't what it used to be"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 04:27 PM

Real men hike or bicycle in baja. Wussies fly, RV or drive Tacomas. The biggest wussies are poser offroaders that dress in silly plastic armor. What wusssies!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 05:07 PM

mangoworldmagazine.blogspot.com/2015/09/a-story-of-survival-warmth-of-baja.html

Hmm... Closing remark from above link: "The rest is history. Thanks to all who helped in the efforts. Next time we will have a satellite phone and high jack for sure."

Plus lots of maps showing locations of the spots they don't want anyone to ID.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 05:07 PM

When I was young my friends and I used to paddle down to Mexico with knives in our teeth,like pirates.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 05:10 PM

"Most likely saved Mike Younghusband's life a few years back in that same general area"
But the people who were on his contact list did not help him.
PS: 70 year old motorcycle riders are except from SPOT-carrying wuss status.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"Most likely saved Mike Younghusband's life a few years back in that same general area"
But the people who were on his contact list did not help him.
PS: 70 year old motorcycle riders are except from SPOT-carrying wuss status.

Um, I think Mike would disagree, since I was the one who alerted Nomad when his emergency signal reached me, and then San Quintin Nomad 'Baja Gringo' took it from there. The good people at Punta San Carlos Solo Sports Resort also were in the loop to do what they could.

I am also on other Nomad Spot or DeLorme alert lists because I am usually able to report on the needs the same day, and produce maps to help people get there. I am happy to do at least that part, and if I could and was closer than others, happily go myself.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Real men hike or bicycle in baja. Wussies fly, RV or drive Tacomas. The biggest wussies are poser offroaders that dress in silly plastic armor. What wusssies!
Try off road with plastic armor,then we will see you as the wusssies. Your such a Wuss you would not get five feet with your dress on.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am also on other Nomad Spot or DeLorme alert lists because I am usually able to report on the needs the same day, and produce maps to help people get there. I am happy to do at least that part, and if I could and was closer than others, happily go myself.

Yep, and I'm gratful.

My inReach is a tool. If the technology is available, and it gives piece of mind to those back home, and to those that might travel with me ... why the heck not use it. If being responsible to others (friends and family) is being a wuss, then I'm guilty as charged. I would rather have the piece of mind to explore instead of hovering around a cantina afraid something might happen.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 08:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Try off road with plastic armor,then we will see you as the wusssies. Your such a Wuss you would not get five feet with your dress on.

Well, you couldn't ride 10 miles on a bicycle if the way was downhill with a tailwind! So there! :P

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 08:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Well, you couldn't ride 10 miles on a bicycle if the way was downhill with a tailwind! So there! :P

Why would I want to ride 10 miles on a bicycle when I could do a couple hundred on my dirt bike instead?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 08:48 PM

The dick-measuring contest that this post has turned into is entertaining. Nonetheless, I try to learn things from my own mistakes, as well as from those of others. The only thing I probably would have done differently is on the Wednesday when it started to look like rain, I would have started gathering my stuff for a pre-pack. The minute the sprinkles turned into rain, I would have packed the truck and got out of there as soon as humanly possible. As mentioned by others, it doesn’t take much rain to mess up those roads. Getting out of there before dark on Wednesday would have been the call considering (1) they nailed one of the best swells of the summer that peaked on Sunday and Monday, (2) by Wednesday, they were looking at relatively small surf, and (3) they were planning on departing the next morning anyway.

But my opinion doesn’t count for much because I’m merely a Monday morning quarterback on this one and hindsight is always 20/20. In my opinion, they had things pretty much under control and it was most likely the parents who over-reacted. So, to call these guys “amateurs” or “wimps” seems somewhat misplaced.

I bought my SPOT last year before heading out on a two-week solo trip. I bought it for one reason only: my parents freak-out that I go down there solo. So I told them not to worry if I don’t come home on the exact date of my anticipated return. But if they don’t hear from me a week later and my SPOT is showing I’m in the exact same location for a week, then that’s the place to come retrieve my dead body.

The story of Gary Patton completely saddens me. Imagine how his loved ones are feeling? If he had some type of tracking device, his family might be able to have a sense of closure. But that’s just the silly way I think because I’m not a self-centered, narcissistic, I’m-more-hardcore-Baja-than-you A-hole.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.