Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Clam Chowder?
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 1-16-2005 at 10:12 AM
Clam Chowder?

Anyone have a favorite recipe for clam chowder and also steamed clams. I need a good recipe.k:spingrin::tumble:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-16-2005 at 11:04 AM

CLAM CHOWDER FOR 60
Categories: Soups
Yield: 60 servings

30 cn Minced clams (6-1/2 oz each)
8 c Diced onions
1 1/2 lb Butter or margarine
2 c All-purpose flour
3 qt Milk
3 bn Celery, sliced
3 c Minced fresh parsley
12 lb Potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 lb Sharp cheddar cheese,
-shredded
Salt & pepper to taste

Drain and rinse clams, reserving juice; set aside. In a large kettle,
saute onions in butter until tender. Add flour; stir to form a smooth
paste. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until slightly
thickened (do not boil). Add celery, parsley and potatoes and cook until
tender, about 45 minutes. Add the clams and cheese; cook until cheese is
melted and soup is heated through. Add reserved clam juice and salt and
pepper.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2005 at 12:26 PM
Quick,Easy & Good

Campbells Hearty New England Chowder,
add more clams, Doxie OK, a can of corn and some butter.....then lie that it's your own homemade......

Have a place on Cape Cod, make home made with all fresh....but above does well when you can't get the fresh ingredients...

try it, if you don't like it, give it to Mikey!
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 1-16-2005 at 12:28 PM
Real cute Hose A

Hey, try Ana Mars outside of Rosarito. better than Campbells, much better.
Ok Bruce got a recipe for 4 or 6. k:tumble::bounce:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2005 at 01:29 PM

When ready to serve, in each bowl gently float a wee dollop of butter in a small amount of dry sherry and sprinkle a bit parsley. Makes chowders and bisques even tastier, especially the Campbell's-with-additions variety.

Edited to clarify that the above is meant for white chowder and not Manhatten.

[Edited on 1-16-2005 by Natalie Ann]

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2005 at 01:56 PM

Here's a recipe for both steamed clams and a red chowder version... I can't give exact amounts because I just throw it together...and you can easily adapt the amount of the ingredients...

Saute some diced poblano and jalapeno peppers, finely diced potato, diced white onion and garlic in olive oil until the garlic is just beginning to get golden...add some cumin seed, crushing between your fingers...pour in some Presidente Brandy (watch out for flaming) and stir up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.

Add clams, and barely cover with any or all of the following: water, bottled clam juice or white wine. If using white wine, it helps at this point to pour a glass and ensure quality by drinking while the clams are steaming in the covered pot. (If you want steamed clams, leave out the potatoes, wait for the clams to open, garnish with some cilantro and serve.)

As soon as clams open, remove and chop and add back to pan or better yet leave them in the shell, add a can or two of diced tomatoes with the juice, more broth (water or clam juice) if necessary, some fresh or frozen corn and peas, and heat through. Adjust for salt, add some chopped cilantro and serve.

I can't believe it...I made steamed clams and mussels for dinner tonight and realized I had forgotten a major ingredient...the juice of a couple of limes with the liquid...

[Edited on 1-17-2005 by elizabeth]
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2005 at 09:23 PM
Can of Jakes/ Ana Mar

Well first of all, I agree with Keri, Ana Mar (K-37) does have great chowder. But my favorite is a can of Jakes, mixed with 3/4 of a can of half and half (as opposed to 1 can of milk), and toss in some shrimp, corn and bacon!! Then get yourself some sour dough rolls (Pt. Loma Seafoods), mix a little tobasco and you are in chowder heaven!!

But I must give Ana Mar a mention here. Their heavos rancheros are wonderful!! There is an older gentleman there who has waited on me before and with a huge smile and twinkle in his eye, holds up a tablespoon, and says, "These should be eaten with a spoon, not a fork". Then he kind of bows, hands you the spoon, and stands back. The plate is served with potatoes, a bowl of refried beans, homemade tortillas (peek in the kitchen) and several types of salsa!! Cost--$4!!
Course the drinks are a bit high!!
Oh and could I go on about their shrimp burritos!! A suggestion-- Have the shrinp steamed in butter and garlic for your burrito--- beats their breaded standard!! And watch out for the white sauce-- just mayo!! I ask for the burritos "sin salsa blanca"!! And remember when they were in Primo Tapia. Oh yeah, always great!!
Hitting the highway tomorrow to drive the Baja again!! Traveling with Ceaser salad and macadamia pancake mix and other foods... BUT will not pass up my favorite eating spots!! Hasta!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.