Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Development comes to Todos Santos, BCS
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2015 at 05:53 PM
Development comes to Todos Santos, BCS

https://tressantosbaja.com/todos-santos/

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-1-2015 at 01:47 PM

Yeah, what a shame....I can remember when rooms at Hotel California were $22.....

Those were the days....

"Progress".....

Don't believe everything you think....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2015 at 02:39 PM

Who knows if this development will ever be more than a website. Have they started any building?

Pescadero used to be my destination when I was surfing. San Pedrito with the swimming pool (it actually was clean and had water in it one year), showers, flush toilets, palapa bar, cabanas, and the 3 dollar a night beach palapas to hang your board in.

[Edited on 10-1-2015 by SFandH]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2015 at 04:53 PM

I get a sense of deja vu. Is there not another post about this?

That said and asked, considering all the development on the gulf side, the past several years has seen an explosion of hotels along the road from Cabo to Todos.

Just thinking of Joani Mitchell's lyrics about paving a parking lot.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2015 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Who knows if this development will ever be more than a website. Have they started any building?

Pescadero used to be my destination when I was surfing. San Pedrito with the swimming pool (it actually was clean and had water in it one year), showers, flush toilets, palapa bar, cabanas, and the 3 dollar a night beach palapas to hang your board in.

[Edited on 10-1-2015 by SFandH]

There's a video that shows the construction. Since Winter will be high season, I expect there to be drownings annually. It's a steep beach with strong current. NOT a swimming beach. I"ve always caught fish at Lobos.

I remember the pool at Pedrito too. Fun place -- and the waves are still good -- along with the local lineup. Can't remember if it was Marty or Ignacio that wrecked the place.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2015 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Yeah, what a shame....I can remember when rooms at Hotel California were $22.....

Those were the days....

"Progress".....
I can remember when they were $4.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 06:45 AM

Found the video, it's in the blog. Started construction on the beach hotel this past June.

The whole thing sucks, in my humble opinion.

Nothing else to say.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 01:38 PM

IMHO, the whole protest over Tres Santos is overblown, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that they will sell 4000+ lots or homes. The demand just doesn't exist, I'll bet that there isn't 30 home sales a year in Todos Santos. I think that a lot of the outrage is driven by local realtors who don't want to see their slice of the pie shrink.

BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 02:48 PM

Hmmmm., Bypass road about to open just as Tres Santos starts to build?

I wonder how much Tres Santos influenced the new bypass toll road around Cabo? It just doesn't make sense to bypass your money maker Cabo and San Jose unless you don't want people to drag their feet (and their wallets) there on their way to Tres Santos. Much better chances to keep the suckers if they don't get distracted on the way.

Andy
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 03:38 PM

I agree 4,000 new homes - no way! But - four thousand new Oxxo's, now that is a possibility.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
I think that a lot of the outrage is driven by local realtors who don't want to see their slice of the pie shrink.

Doesn't sound right. Tres Santos should have ''co-op'' agreements with all agents. Tres Santos will set the commission -- probably between 7%-10% -- Listing Agent (Tres Santos) will split that with Selling Agent -- split is determined by TS).

I could be wrong on this.

With ''Farm'' homes selling for $500k + and ''Beach'' homes selling for up to $1.5M, everyone will want in on this deal.

On the other hand, Pescadero's Tequila Ranch never got off the ground.

F*ck it.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
I think that a lot of the outrage is driven by local realtors who don't want to see their slice of the pie shrink.

Doesn't sound right. Tres Santos should have ''co-op'' agreements with all agents. Tres Santos will set the commission -- probably between 7%-10% -- Listing Agent (Tres Santos) will split that with Selling Agent -- split is determined by TS).

I could be wrong on this.

With ''Farm'' homes selling for $500k + and ''Beach'' homes selling for up to $1.5M, everyone will want in on this deal.

On the other hand, Pescadero's Tequila Ranch never got off the ground.

Seeing as how they have their own marketing team and sales office, I doubt that they will be splitting anything with the local real estate cartel.

cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 06:24 PM

First, let me say that I do not normally respond to conjecture relative
to real estate issues on Bajanomad. Generally, most post are negative
to the industry and those agents and broker's that work to insure that
their client's, expats or Mexican, are represented legally within the laws
and their purchase or sale is within the legal confines of Mexican law.

I have been representing buyer's and seller's of real estate in Elias
Calles, Pescadero and Todos Santos for 20 years. I have been fortunate
to continue to assist many client's over the years that are now friends and family.

To see nomads post negative, and untruths totally amazes me. But,
I guess that is today's social media.

Lee, you do not know what you speak of. Tres Santos 7%-10%. Crazy!
Monoloco, Tres Santos has invited local brokers and agents to be
involved in introducing and selling Tres Santos. We have had multiple
meetings over the past several years. They offer a 3% commission
for a sale. So..., as an agent, if I sell a Tres Santos property I make
1 1/2% and my broker makes 1 1/2 %.

If you wish to contact me, please do. costapacifico@yahoo.com

Saludos!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cabobaja  
They offer a 3% commission

Saludos!

On this forum, I get the impression agents are right up there with used car salesmen. That's not my impression as I know some in the Todos area who know what they're doing. 3% commission -- someone's getting the short end of the stick on this and it's not Tres Santos.

Anyway, I did say I could be wrong. And, according to cabobaja, I'm way, way off.

F*ck it.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 06:37 PM

Just to point out not everything is hunky dory in All Saints town.

http://truthsantos.org/
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 06:42 PM

rts551, is everything hunky dory in your town? I notice your post
are more negative than positive. Saludos!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 08:43 PM

First, let me say that I do not normally respond to conjecture relative
to real estate issues on Bajanomad. Generally, most post are negative
to the industry and those agents and broker's that work to insure that
their client's, expats or Mexican, are represented legally within the laws
and their purchase or sale is within the legal confines of Mexican law.

I have been representing buyer's and seller's of real estate in Elias
Calles, Pescadero and Todos Santos for 20 years. I have been fortunate
to continue to assist many client's over the years that are now friends and family.

To see nomads post negative, and untruths totally amazes me. But,
I guess that is today's social media.

Lee, you do not know what you speak of. Tres Santos 7%-10%. Crazy!
Monoloco, Tres Santos has invited local brokers and agents to be
involved in introducing and selling Tres Santos. We have had multiple
meetings over the past several years. They offer a 3% commission

Saludos!

Well, I do know for a fact that one of Tres Santos's most vocal opponents is a local family who owns a real estate office in Todos Santos. They have been pushing development in the area for over 25 years, but now that another group has come in they are suddenly getting the town all stirred up about over development.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 10:58 AM

When Mindfulness Goes Wrong: a Mega-Development’s Deceptive Branding in Mexico

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/09/18/when-mindfulness-goes...

I found the link to the following article here: https://www.facebook.com/TRUTHSantos/

Mindful living conjures the image of socially responsible individuals practicing yoga and meditating as they envision a more equitable world. Mindfulness has become a buzzword designating both a concern for individual health and an awareness of our environment. It’s hard to see how it can be controversial. But the term also works as a wily catchphrase to sell coastal real estate in a questionable new development in Mexico’s Baja California peninsula.

A small town nested in an oasis on the Pacific coast of southern Baja, Todos Santos has gone over the past twenty years from being a quiet fishing and farming village to becoming a popular tourist destination. Words like “quaint” and “unspoiled” pop up in most articles written about it. Considered a quieter alternative to its southern neighbor Cabo, Todos Santos is known for surfing, art galleries, film and music festivals, and is home to a growing community of American and European residents. In 2006, it was named Pueblo Mágico or “magical village”, by Mexico’s Secretariat of Tourism, a designation meant to ensure governmental commitment to sustainability. But it is not devoid of problems. Water scarcity has long been an issue, the transition from agriculture to tourism has brought its share of social ills, and most recently an open pit mine plans to operate in the Sierra de la Laguna Biosphere, the area’s most important source of water, putting the region at risk of an environmental disaster comparable to the Animas River’s recent toxic spill.

And now Todos Santos is getting both a mega-development that brands itself as mindful and an ethically murky university campus. A real-estate project called Tres Santos has permits to build 4472 homes over twenty-five years, leading to an estimated indirect population growth of more than 60,000 new residents, quite a leap for a town whose population in 2010 hovered just above 5000. Divided into three sections, beach, townfarm and hillside, the project frames the southern edge of town. The beach development, already under construction, happens to be located in Punta Lobos, the only sheltered location where local fishing cooperatives can directly access the beach with their skiffs. Recent tropical depression Linda, a mild storm compared to last year’s Hurricane Odile that wrecked havoc in Cabo and much of the peninsula, has already caused serious beach erosion and flooding of the development’s existing contruction. The townfarm section, planned on a dry patch of land on the outskirts of town, next to the town cemetery and far from the area’s agricultural fields, has already inaugurated Colorado State University’s first international campus, projected to start operating this fall. Establishing a research center with a strong background in sustainable agriculture and water use in Mexico’s driest state certainly seems worthwhile. But the campus’s coziness with Tres Santos and with MIRA, the Mexican affiliate of Colorado-based Black Creek Capital, led by prominent real estate mogul Jim R. Mulvihill, who spearheads the project, have unsettled both the Todos Santos community and CSU students. The campus is supposedly built on gifted land, but CSU does not have full ownership of the trust. CSU is required to allow Tres Santos to use its name for marketing purposes, and is expected to keep its research farm in bloom during peak tourist season. Higher education, it seems, makes for great greenwashing. As one of the project’s brokers in Todos Santos told me: “Other developments put in golf courses, we’re bringing in a university campus”.

“A perfect place for mindful living”. That’s the slogan a quick online search for Tres Santos will give you. Appropriately, their Todos Santos sales office promises “Bikes, Yoga, Info”, and omits direct references to selling homes ranging from $233,000 USD to $1,545,000. The online information form beckons: “Join us. Be part of the movement”. Images of tanned blond children, fit bikers, surfers and yogis are interspersed with photographs of desert landscapes, solitary beaches and picturesque farmlands. Only the occasional fisherman or rancher reminds you that this “epicenter for well being” happens to be in Mexico. But who benefits from such mindful living, and who pays the cost? Tres Santos has already bulldozed endangered mangroves, built a private reservoir that holds more water than the town’s own, and reportedly is requesting permits to build 8 more private wells. Such a large-scale luxury project can only exacerbate inequality and result in various forms of displacement. The very notion of a mindful mega-development, the Tres Santos project proves, is an oxymarooon.

Meanwhile, local citizens are organizing to oppose the project. Perhaps Tres Santos does promote a sense of community after all. Just not one that includes them.

[Edited on 10-3-2015 by SFandH]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 11:05 AM

rts551, is everything hunky dory in your town? I notice your post
are more negative than positive. Saludos!

Actually not too bad. Don't get your curlies in a wad. Only pointing out there is quiet an uproar in Todos Santos. Not negative/not positive. If people did not want Todos Santos to change character something should have been done 25 years ago.
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 11:19 AM

Thanks for the copy and paste SFandH.

I agree... really is a shame to see this development. The Truth Santos link is (IMHO) doing a good job at representing the views of those who oppose. As always... those with the big bucks will make more big bucks.
The Colorado University project is also really interesting:barf:

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.